2.0 speaker setup for LCD TV under 10k!

quadmaniac

First off, apologies for the slightly longish thread. I am a lurker in these forums, and its always great to see such knowledgable discussions here on A/V equipment etc.

I was hoping you can help me with my setup - I have a Sony 42" LCD (W700B) which has good PQ and rubbish SQ :D. I also use this TV for gaming with an XBOX 360. Till date, I got around by connecting my desktop speakers - JBL Jembe 2.0 to my TV. I was okay with this setup (I am not a humongous bass lover) and this provided decent sound quality "for free" - but had a serious flaw - these speakers have a stupid auto-shut-off feature that kicks in whenever I want to listen at low volumes!

Please note that I don't have a budget beyond 6-7k unfortunately, and perhaps I can extend it max till 10k.

A few other preferences:
- I dislike wires.. 5.1 though out of budget range, is not preferable to me
- I HATE big boomy bass without mids/trebles. Hence no Creative 2.1 2-3k setups would do, I think!
- Ideally looking for a speaker set WITHOUT requiring any amp that would be good for music/movies/gaming.
- Ideally looking for 2.0 and not 2.1 (but can consider good 2.1 setups)
- Would prefer bass/treble controls
- Can consider good sound bars, but I think they're pricey and 2.0 setups would do better.
- If not apparent till now - clarity over loudness :)

Things I'm considering

- Edifier C2 is apparently good (but apparently it doesn't remember bass/treble settings after a restart)
- Creative T20/T40 (seem to be ideal - but cost 2x more than US prices)
- Swann M10 (doubt it's service in India)
- JBL Control one (doubt it would work without an amp)

FTR, I also have a Bose Companion 2 that I like, but I only like it with an EQ (I pair it with a Sansa Clip) else it's bass is too overpowering. And after connecting this to the Sony LCD's headphone out, the bass is indeed too overpowering. (Would an amp help here?? Clueless).

The TV has a "digital out" audio output, but frankly I know far too less of these things yet.

Can you kind souls please educate me into what would be a decent purchase for me? I know at my budget, I won't get audiophile quality - but I'm looking for decent performance mainly for USB movies (and HD movies on TV) and gaming.

Yeah Edifier Studio is good
I have The Studio 7 (with 6.5 Inch Woofers)
Best Deal for under 10K, has optical, coax and analog in.
Seperate Bass and Treble control.
Nothing better in this price range

Thanks guys. Where would I get the Edifier Studio 7? The online stores seem to say it's discontinued.

sash, the F&D looks too big for my space available unfortunately (I forgot to mention that floor standing is a bit too much for my requirements).

Any other popular choices (or any smaller Edifier setup?)

Sir, as you queried for sub 10k, PLEASE DO NOT BUY 475u of PHILIPS, very cheap but worst Bass output, myself own it, it's a head ache.

abt ur bose. Rather then connecting via headphone out, try connecting them via audio out. i.e the nornal AV out at the back panel of the lcd. This was you can use the lcd's eq settings in controlling the sound settings.

abt ur bose. Rather then connecting via headphone out, try connecting them via audio out. i.e the nornal AV out at the back panel of the lcd. This was you can use the lcd's eq settings in controlling the sound settings.

Thanks for this suggestion. I don't remember having any extra cable - but I will try this. I'm a bit of a newbie - does this mean I need to purchase an AV to 3.5mm converter or something

Idea is to use all resources in hand before doing any Kharcha. Im sure there must be a 3rca cable lying at home, use that and try..

Thanks for the tips edge111hussain - yes I was also hoping this would solve my problem. The Bose already has 3.5mm to audio cable which I had unplugged to my TV's headphone out. I found that this TV actually allows you to change output mode to "Speakers" instead of Headphones, and then does allow some modifications of bass/treble.

But no matter what I did, I couldn't achieve a satisfactory sound signature out of it :( .. it seems to be meant to be paired with the EQ's Sansa Clip!

I think Boston acoustics digital cinema is the perfect match for you..check out for deals in croma , its for 12 or 13k

Thanks guys - I will check this if I visit Croma. I don't seem to find this online at all.

If u like stereo setup then check out this.... it is a better solution to boost your TV sound......

__'NORGE 1515 Stereo Amplifier-Rs 4,000'
'CAMBRIDGE AUDIO S30 Bookshelf Speakers- Rs 9,000'
TOTAL Rs 13,000__

Thanks gadget_lover. I have the same noob question - Where do I get the Cambridge S30 (especially at Hyderabad) - these gems don't seem to be available in India.

Great suggestions guys - and thanks for opening my eye a bit - keep em coming :clapping:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back