75/85 inch TV - which brand?

chander

Hi all,

Need a suggestion here for the best available 75/85 inch TV for home. I already have a 65 inch TV and wanted to upgrade to a bigger size with viewing distance kind of optimum for slightly over 75 inch. The budget being upto 5L. I need your expertise in - helping me with the best brands available please consider the following preferences.

1 - NO OLED - I find the picture very unrealistic, I prefer the picture from SONY X90 series/Samsung QLED series much more.
2 - NO PROJECTORS - I live in a rented house and shift pretty often, 'been there done that' projector is pure pain when you have to move every couple years or so.
3 - I have experience with VU (a budget contender for large TVs) - I had 3 VU TV and they all developed some issue around the corners with blacking so not looking at something like that. Do not want a cheap TV as this is going to be something I want to keep for a few years at-least.
4 - I do not care much about the TV OS as my primary media consumption is going to be Series X + ATV 4K - with a few BRs.

Please suggest models I can look at to shortlist from. Want to take advantage of the Diwali discounts :). I have seen many TVs till now and liked the Sony X90J XR series 75 inch was wonderful, Samsung QLED but I could only view a 65 inch there.

Is there something I need to be worried about here - Sony has 3 years warranty on the panel including 1 year comprehensive. That is a sweet deal.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Need a suggestion here for the best available 75/85 inch TV for home. I already have a 65 inch TV and wanted to upgrade to a bigger size with viewing distance kind of optimum for slightly over 75 inch. The budget being upto 5L. I need your expertise in - helping me with the best brands available please consider the following preferences.

1 - NO OLED - I find the picture very unrealistic, I prefer the picture from SONY X90 series/Samsung QLED series much more.
2 - NO PROJECTORS - I live in a rented house and shift pretty often, 'been there done that' projector is pure pain when you have to move every couple years or so.
3 - I have experience with VU (a budget contender for large TVs) - I had 3 VU TV and they all developed some issue around the corners with blacking so not looking at something like that. Do not want a cheap TV as this is going to be something I want to keep for a few years at-least.
4 - I do not care much about the TV OS as my primary media consumption is going to be Series X + ATV 4K - with a few BRs.

Please suggest models I can look at to shortlist from. Want to take advantage of the Diwali discounts :). I have seen many TVs till now and liked the Sony X90J XR series 75 inch was wonderful, Samsung QLED but I could only view a 65 inch there.

Is there something I need to be worried about here - Sony has 3 years warranty on the panel including 1 year comprehensive. That is a sweet deal.

Thank you!
Since you liked the Sony go for the 75 x90J. I would highly advice against Samsung due to their pathetic service and poor reliability with their products.

Hi all,

Thank you!
X90j 75 is a good buy. It retails at 2.8-3 lakhs depending on where you are

For 85 inch - I could think of only KD-85X85J for 4.3L but it's not a FALD TV.
Also its a pity that Sony provides additional 2 yrs warranty only on panel but not the whole TV. Whereas Samsung and LG its complete TV I guess or at least that's what I have been told.

Since you liked the Sony go for the 75 x90J. I would highly advice against Samsung due to their pathetic service and poor reliability with their products.
Yes that is what I was wondering but I am still trying to figure out the minute differences between the panels - SONY is definitely the top of the list, trying to figure out if I can get the 85 inch version.
X90j 75 is a good buy. It retails at 2.8-3 lakhs depending on where you are
Most brick & mortar stores I have contacted are selling it higher than that - Amazon is the cheapest till now.

Also its a pity that Sony provides additional 2 yrs warranty only on panel but not the whole TV. Whereas Samsung and LG its complete TV I guess or at least that's what I have been told.
FALD is quite a difference - I saw the 65 inch 85J vs 90J XR, and the difference was quite drastic at kind of same/similar settings and picture modes. Also the 90J XR 120 Hz was visibly jitter free. I am not sure about LG but I do not think the Samsung is 3 year BTW. It is an additional purchase "IF I am not mistaken".

Yes that is what I was wondering but I am still trying to figure out the minute differences between the panels - SONY is definitely the top of the list, trying to figure out if I can get the 85 inch version.

Most brick & mortar stores I have contacted are selling it higher than that - Amazon is the cheapest till now.

FALD is quite a difference - I saw the 65 inch 85J vs 90J XR, and the difference was quite drastic at kind of same/similar settings and picture modes. Also the 90J XR 120 Hz was visibly jitter free. I am not sure about LG but I do not think the Samsung is 3 year BTW. It is an additional purchase "IF I am not mistaken".
But I saw the poster/stickers on Samsung TVs in Reliance Digital which said 3 years complete warranty.

1634802335588.png

In this space usually we need to compromise. Its between size or PQ as a FALD 85" is close to 10 lakhs or more and the only thing that's close to having both is Vu 85 which the OP has ruled out preemptively. And besides in an 85" screen a mediocre PQ also will be condoned by most viewers due to the sheer immersion the "gigantor" presents in front of you.

if you have already 65 inch tv then there will not be much difference with 75 inch. So go with 85 inch TV.

In this space usually we need to compromise. Its between size or PQ as a FALD 85" is close to 10 lakhs or more and the only thing that's close to having both is Vu 85 which the OP has ruled out preemptively. And besides in an 85" screen a mediocre PQ also will be condoned by most viewers due to the sheer immersion the "gigantor" presents in front of you.
True. Its either size or PQ.
Someone in the forum got a quote of 7L for 83" LG OLED and 6.5L for 85" Samsung 85QN90A.

True. Its either size or PQ.
Someone in the forum got a quote of 7L for 83" LG OLED and 6.5L for 85" Samsung 85QN90A.
OP ruled out OLED at first right? So 85" QN90A might be the best alternative. As in this size it is VA. Not the ADS in other sizes they offer to Indian market.* But Samsung is not good in after sales support and if the tv is good it's a draw of lottery luck*

OP ruled out OLED at first right? So 85" QN90A might be the best alternative. As in this size it is VA. Not the ADS in other sizes they offer to Indian market.* But Samsung is not good in after sales support and if the tv is good it's a draw of lottery luck*
I can't comment on the after sales support of Samsung but I mentioned the price of OLED just to highlight that the price of FALD wont touch 10L for 85" as you said.

Seriously though, I had duly considered buying a full array 85" 4k before. At that time it was close to 10 lakhs. Or 77C9 for 5.25 lakhs demo piece. And Vu also intrigued me slightly. Insane79 helped me understand even 65" OLED to an LCD/led is a good upgrade. So froze the lgcx and finally got it for 1.92 lakhs. Big screens craving has ended after hitting the sweet spot in viewing distance with 65" lg.

Seriously though, I had duly considered buying a full array 85" 4k before. At that time it was close to 10 lakhs. Or 77C9 for 5.25 lakhs demo piece. And Vu also intrigued me slightly. Insane79 helped me understand even 65" OLED to an LCD/led is a good upgrade. So froze the lgcx and finally got it for 1.92 lakhs. Big screens craving has ended after hitting the sweet spot in viewing distance with 65" lg.
Ha ha. Now I am in the same boat. I was checking 77" and 83" OLED but 83" is still out of my budget. Hope the price comes down next year. :p

Small screens below 75" are unimpressive and OLEDs are trash, I completely agree with the OP, get the Samsung 85", best choice if you don't mind spending, all the others pale in comparison like burnt ash. I have a similar thought process as yours. OLEDs will never impress anyone who cares about what matters, brightness and colors.

Yes that is what I was wondering but I am still trying to figure out the minute differences between the panels - SONY is definitely the top of the list, trying to figure out if I can get the 85 inch version
In Sony site only 3 sizes available for x90J. 55,65 and 75 so I guess they are not launching the 85 inch.

Samsung clearly seems to have some bad repo with their after sales and QC. So clearly Samsung is out leaving Sony X90J XR 75" as pretty much the only option.
Small screens below 75" are unimpressive and OLEDs are trash, I completely agree with the OP, get the Samsung 85", best choice if you don't mind spending, all the others pale in comparison like burnt ash. I have a similar thought process as yours. OLEDs will never impress anyone who cares about what matters, brightness and colors.
Actually I do not think OLEDs are TRASH, they just do not work for me. They are immensely popular and I can also see why, they actually faired the best with my Xbox of all the TVs I tried - in terms of gaming, the LG OLEDs were outstanding. However yes given my personal preference they did look unnatural with the 4K videos they keep playing in the stores. Samsung clearly have a bad rep in terms of all things post initial impression - so I guess the collective wisdom says - avoid.

I find OLEDs to be very dim and lifeless, hence trash. I wouldnt use one if you paid me.

FWIW I have an old Samsung that is 11 years old and still woks fine, had minor issues twice and was resolved easily and quickly by Samsung service. Once was in warranty and I paid nothing for the parts. Dont remember if they charged me for service that time. I've had various other Samsung products and they all lasted well past their warranty period and when I needed service it was prompt, courteous and effective.

Do not buy into the voice of the local minority here, they speak of their own bias, as do I. Decide for yourself what you prefer.

Samsung clearly seems to have some bad repo with their after sales and QC. So clearly Samsung is out leaving Sony X90J XR 75" as pretty much the only option.

Actually I do not think OLEDs are TRASH, they just do not work for me. They are immensely popular and I can also see why, they actually faired the best with my Xbox of all the TVs I tried - in terms of gaming, the LG OLEDs were outstanding. However yes given my personal preference they did look unnatural with the 4K videos they keep playing in the stores. Samsung clearly have a bad rep in terms of all things post initial impression - so I guess the collective wisdom says - avoid.
Yes you are right that Samsung after sales are bad and their quality control is very poor. I have used everything from Samsung tv,microwave,phones, Ac etc and nothing lasted. Service was even worse. Samsung is garbage and trash especially in India. I speak from my personal experience and from experience shared by many of my friends and relatives. I have even heard of people working in samsung advising their friends and relatives to stay away from samsung.I think you mentioned in another thread that cinema mode is your preference. Now once u start liking the cinema picture preset in tv the standard and vivid mode will look unnatural and ugly. In showroom the tv will be set to demo mode and using vivid picture preset and hence you don’t find it natural. I am not convincing you to get Oled but since you are some one that prefers cinema mode I am just pointing it out. Standard is ok for showroom audition but definitely a no no to vivid mode if you have good eyes and know what picture quality means. Brightest tv doesn’t mean it has the best picture quality

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back