Acoustic portrait Swara Tube buffer V2 (A review)

Shammi Dang

A review after more than a month of usage - This is my first Acoustic portrait product. I purchased this on total risk as there were no reviews (video or written) available anywhere. I am very satisfied with this tube buffer. It adds warmth to the vocals and music. Very nice to hear such depth and wide soundstage. No listening fatigue. Very appropriate for listening to classical (Indian, western), pop, vocals, hindi songs & gazals. The slight harness that we feel sometimes while using our regular transistor based amplifier is not there any more. Excellent built quality, Good fit & finish, Solid chassis, subtle & simple looks. One more point to mention is the excellent packaging done by the company and there was no problem with the deliveries. I have purchased this from Hifi mart but the deliveries were initiated directly from the company based in Bangalore. I have attached this in between the DAC (Schiit modi 3) and integrated amplifier (Norge Concerto Gold 1000 class AB) and most of my music sources are routed through this Dac.

Some nick picking - Very heavy in weight and big size for a tube buffer, The embossed logo on the front can be little brighter, it looks dull and not properly visible. The bypass is not there, in case connected between two lines then it must be "ON" to pass the signal. Heats up a little, I think that's the characteristic of tubes so it requires good ventilation. The dynamism of the amplifier is mellowed down slightly because of warm tonal signature so we have to open little more volume to arrive at a comfortable listening level.

Overall it is a recommended product for anyone who wants to add the warmth and signature of tube sound to their solid state set up at a reasonable cost. There are some cheaper options available on amazon by some chinese brands (branded & generic) but I really doubt those will be able to match the quality of this tube buffer.

Attachments

• 01a. Tube buffer.jpg
    01a. Tube buffer.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 50
  • 02a. Tube buffer set up.jpg
    02a. Tube buffer set up.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 03a. Tube buffer & LC30 top.jpg
    03a. Tube buffer & LC30 top.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 50
I wonder is there a quantifiable property (or properties) that explain the harshness and warmth in audio?
Ultimately all acoustic signal (sound waves) reaches our ears, whichever way they may be produced/processed, and the usual properties associated with such a signal (compression wave propagating using air molecules) is amplitude, frequency, time/phase, ...

I wonder is there a quantifiable property (or properties) that explain the harshness and warmth in audio?
Ultimately all acoustic signal (sound waves) reaches our ears, whichever way they may be produced/processed, and the usual properties associated with such a signal (compression wave propagating using air molecules) is amplitude, frequency, time/phase, ...
Human ears, everyone perceives things differently. In reality there is nothing good or bad, superior or inferior, it is just how we feel and portray our opinions/emotions/feelings.
And this is a super quote in your reply , I really liked it - When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Last edited:
In fact, two. Less treble makes the sound warm. Tube adds even harmonics to the chain, and that makes the sound a bit more musical. Harshness is due to odd harmonics, unrefined treble, digital glare, etc.

Human ears, everyone perceives things differently. In reality there is nothing good or bad, superior or inferior, it is just how we feel and portray our opinions/emotions/feelings.
And this is a super quote in your reply , I really liked it - When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Of course, preferences will vary, and someone may like the sound the others may hate it (refer the below section of my post).
But unless it is measurable it remains arbitrarily defined and subject to misuse and abuse - today I will feel certain amp is warm, tomorrow I will feel the same amp with exact same setup as cold, in which case there is no meaning to any audio review other than simple reading pleasure!

In fact, two. Less treble makes the sound warm. Tube adds even harmonics to the chain, and that makes the sound a bit more musical. Harshness is due to odd harmonics, unrefined treble, digital glare, etc.
Shouldn't that be easily replicable on non-Valve amps?
I remember a plugin in f00bar media player that could introduce odd/even harmonics at will.
I remember it helping the bass frequencies sound deep but everything else sounded like hearing a clean radio AM reception (= perceptible underlying static and giving a low-fi feel).

Of course, preferences will vary, and someone may like the sound the others may hate it (refer the below section of my post).
But unless it is measurable it remains arbitrarily defined and subject to misuse and abuse - today I will feel certain amp is warm, tomorrow I will feel the same amp with exact same setup as cold, in which case there is no meaning to any audio review other than simple reading pleasure!
Very true. I for one don't like the sound from my tube amp, even though my first real amp was a tube amp. Soon outgrew it and I prefer my Class D amps and even my Yamaha AVR over the tube amp. The tube amp I have doesn't have the treble that I look for.

Vintage amps always had the bass and treble control and that was a good thing because it allowed you to tune the amp to your liking.

I remember a plugin in f00bar media player that could introduce odd/even harmonics at will.
I remember it helping the bass frequencies sound deep but everything else sounded like hearing a clean radio AM reception (= perceptible underlying static and giving a low-fi feel).
Exactly. I have seen hardware versions of harmonic generator on diyaudio. The focusrite dac that I got came with software which allows you to do these things using my macbook/macmini. But mac osx has other issues (like fixed sampling rates) due to which I use only Linux boxes for digital music playback.

For my main system I use an ancient Kenwood GE-850 parametric equalizer, output of which goes to a DIY Nelson Pass B1 buffer. The output of that goes to a DIY Elliot's designed preamp (box with wooden face plate). The Elliot's preamp has a self designed switcher that allows me to chose to which amp the output should go. For headphone listening I use DBX 231s 31 band equalizer. which is below this image
1725606876732.png
1725606840592.png

I guess it is possible. Sugden A21 is a solid state amp but sounds tube like.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back