Adding additional channels to existing AVR

BOSS8055

Hi. I’m using Onkyo TX-NR737 since 4yrs. It’s a 7.2ch avr which can be used for Dolby Atmos in 5.2.2 configuration. My speaker setup is 7.1.4. AVR is sparsely used and also it’s Dolby Atmos & 4K capable which is all I need, I don’t have any intentions of upgrading shortly. The problem is that the additional speaker layout is lying wasted. So I was wondering if adding some integrated/power amplifier would bring additional channels...possibly 4! Better musical capabilities will be icing on cake as it can thus be used for stereo listening even if avr is upgraded later!! Something like Pioneer A20 or A40 integrated amplifier which has 4channels ( two 4ohms and two 8ohms I guess and I don’t know if I should be concerned about it). And this is intended to be connected to the pre-out. But all the tutorials for doing so are showing two knobs for pre-out but I find only one in mine. Attaching my pre-out pic. Budget is not a concern but looking for a VFM option. Please guide. Thanx in advance.9CF7BEC6-7CC9-4B49-A89F-422E70B142DF.jpeg6F68827B-B4BD-4499-ABD0-2AD80EC8985A.jpeg

Your Onkyo 737 is 7.2 AVR, which means it can process and support 7 channels max for speakers and 2 channels for subwoofers.

There is no Pre-out for main zone for using external amplifier. Even if pre-out was there you can either use pre-out or use amplified output for speakers, you won't be able to increase to 9 channels or 11 channels. (The pre-outs you have in 737 are for two subwoofers)

For 7.1.4 speaker configuration, you need to buy 11.2 processing capable AV Receivers.
There are AV receivers with 11 channel processing with 11 amplifier channels - like Denon 6500H

Or you can consider 11channel processing AVR with 9 amplifier channels - like Denon 4500H. In this case you can use external 2 channel amp for making 11 channel configuration.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back