AV Receiver Suggestions - and is Onkyo truly dead!

tanmayj

Hello folks (after a long time)!

My Marantz SR 5009 died on me (God rest his soul) after almost 10 years of faithful service, which, in a dusty clammy humid environment like Mumbai, is impressive!

I've used Onkyo before, and it's my first love as far as sound signature is concerned. But the brand is dead unfortunately! Their last model is a 2020 release, and haven't seen anything out of them for a long time. I know they filed for bankruptcy, but I was hoping someone will take them over and resurrect the brand. But I've not seen that happening so far, any news is most welcome!

I have listened to even the higher end Denon models, and I CANNOT get myself to like them. There's something in the Denon sound signature that makes them unappealing to me. I'm not going to go after them this time.

I've heard Yamahas and I found them seriously lacking punch of any kind. So Yamahas are out.

I don't recollect hearing out Pioneer Elite, so that's an option maybe.

I'm going to probably do some house-shifting over the next few years, and it'll be five-six years before I settle down into what will be my long-term residence. At that point (5-6 years from now), I'll probably invest in a fancy receiver with Atmos etc. (I'll put ceiling speakers).

I'm looking for something not too expensive, to last for the next 5-6 years.

I use a pair of Polk Audio TSi-400 floorstanders which consume 20-200W @ 8 Ohms and a high sensitivity of 91dB.

I'd need therefore an Amplifier power of about 100W @ 8 Ohms per channel, 5.1 receivers are okay. I'll need at least 3 HDMI Inputs, 1 HDMI Output and Bluetooth and USB connectivity.

In India I'm seeing Onkyo TX-NR 6100 listed with Cinebels. How do they stock/ sell with the global brand having gone kaput? What about the after sales service?

Suggestions?

Last edited:

My Marantz SR 5009 died on me (God rest his soul) after almost 10 years of faithful service, which, in a dusty clammy humid environment like Mumbai, is impressive!

I've used Onkyo before, and it's my first love as far as sound signature is concerned. But the brand is dead unfortunately! Their last model is a 2020 release, and haven't seen anything out of them for a long time. I know they filed for bankruptcy, but I was hoping someone will take them over and resurrect the brand. But I've not seen that happening so far, any news is most welcome!

I have listened to even the higher end Denon models, and I CANNOT get myself to like them. There's something in the Denon sound signature that makes them unappealing to me. I'm not going to go after them this time.

I've heard Yamahas and I found them seriously lacking punch of any kind. So Yamahas are out.

I'm going to probably do some house-shifting over the next few years, and it'll be five-six years before I settle down into what will be my long-term residence. At that point (5-6 years from now), I'll probably invest in a fancy receiver with Atmos etc. (I'll put ceiling speakers).

I use a pair of Polk Audio TSi-400 floorstanders which consume 20-200W @ 8 Ohms and a high sensitivity of 91dB.

I'd need therefore an Amplifier power of about 100W @ 8 Ohms per channel, 5.1 receivers are okay. I'll need at least 3 HDMI Inputs, 1 HDMI Output and Bluetooth and USB connectivity.

In India I'm seeing Onkyo TX-NR 6100 listed with Cinebels. How do they stock/ sell with the global brand having gone kaput? What about the after sales service?

Suggestions?
New release Rz30 from onkyo. 2 days back.

Interesting. Do you know who's making Onkyo now that it went bankrupt, and who's supporting it in India?
Premium Audio Company, who owns Klipsch, bought Onkyo Integra and Pioneer. I bought an LX-505 in 2022 from the new range of products. And yes Cinebels is distributing and supports service for all three brands in India

I think Onkyo hai very few service centers so beware. Personally I am also an Onkyo fan. Have two Onkyo HTIBs and 2 AVRs one of them is not working. Will try to get it fixed. Cousin has Onkyo HTIB HTR-393 working since many years. Changed front speakers with Polk Floorstanders. Sound is superb

I think Onkyo hai very few service centers so beware. Personally I am also an Onkyo fan. Have two Onkyo HTIBs and 2 AVRs one of them is not working. Will try to get it fixed. Cousin has Onkyo HTIB HTR-393 working since many years. Changed front speakers with Polk Floorstanders. Sound is superb
They’re offering 18 month warranty on Onkyo/Pioneer versus 12 months on Denon/Marantz, which to me meant they are very confident on servicd

Suggestions?
What is your budget? That will make things simpler..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back