Bluray player with good upscaling capability

matbhuvi

Looking for a bluray player which will be purely used as transport. My Pioneer Elite vsx-21TXH will do the DAC duty. It would be nice if it can support 802.11ac wifi standards, DLNA and good upscaling capability. Not really bothering about the sound quality as such. No need for any fancy apps as well. A budget of less than 10K would be ideal. Any recommendations?

Looking for a bluray player which will be purely used as transport.

Transport or source? Or if you could shed more light on the source as well as the content?

Pretty much anything can work as a transport and especially with unlimited bandwidth if you are looking to go wireless and 802.11ac.

It would be nice if it can support 802.11ac wifi standards, DLNA and good upscaling capability.

Consider a HTPC, checks all the marks and works the best for setting up a UPnP/DLNA server, and nothing comes close to scaling with the likes of madVR.

Better still if you have a PC lying around unused, or something that is always turned on and downloading, can be used as a media server. If you have a smart router, similar solution with an external HDD plugged in.

2.4GHz is crowded and stutters in my home.

Check the Wi-Fi analyzer app on Android, you can find free channels and set the router to use them manually.

I have similar requirements. I'm also looking to add a device to my marantz nr1506 as that doesn't play movies over usb. Please suggest media player or something suitable for my needs.

Transport or source? Or if you could shed more light on the source as well as the content?

Pretty much anything can work as a transport and especially with unlimited bandwidth if you are looking to go wireless and 802.11ac.

Consider a HTPC, checks all the marks and works the best for setting up a UPnP/DLNA server, and nothing comes close to scaling with the likes of madVR.

Better still if you have a PC lying around unused, or something that is always turned on and downloading, can be used as a media server. If you have a smart router, similar solution with an external HDD plugged in.

Check the Wi-Fi analyzer app on Android, you can find free channels and set the router to use them manually.

I do have a PC with two bluray drives, 16GB ram, Intel i5 processor as well. The problem is, the PC and the receiver are in different rooms. If DLNA could bitstream HD Audio (DTS-HD/ Dolby ture HD), then all i would need a receiver that i can attach to the HDMI port of my receiver. I have chromecast now. It is pathetic when it comes to audio.

Last edited:
I do have a PC with two bluray drives, 16GB ram, Intel i5 processor as well. The problem is, the PC and the receiver are in different rooms. If DLNA could bitstream HD Audio (DTS-HD/ Dolby ture HD), then all i would need a receiver that i can attach to the HDMI port of my receiver. I have chromecast now. It is pathetic when it comes to audio.

To overcome similar problems with my NAS and my media pc in the other room, I have brought Powerline Ethernet adapters. You can google the same and use this instead of the wifi option. I can playback HD movies seamlessly without any issues. Initially I had some problems with the internal wall wirings but I changed the internal power cables to better quality ones and also got the connections done between these plugs directly on the MCB board. After this no issues of slow speed.

I have similar requirements. I'm also looking to add a device to my marantz nr1506 as that doesn't play movies over usb. Please suggest media player or something suitable for my needs.

Best if you start a separate thread in "Wanted" or "What should I buy" segments.

Honestly, I have never used wireless for video streaming other than to the tablet and/or smartphone for extremely limited viewing. I typically use HTPC with my monitor or use the Blu-ray player with the TV. Chromecast is typically limited to streaming from the likes of Netflix and that is limited to Dolby Digital. I don't believe the Chromecast is meant to be used as a local streaming machine, and I certainly have not tried that.

I am however having a wonderful time with Chromecast Audio so no complaints there even with regards to audio, but then that's not HD audio.

To overcome similar problems with my NAS and my media pc in the other room, I have brought Powerline Ethernet adapters. You can google the same and use this instead of the wifi option. I can playback HD movies seamlessly without any issues. Initially I had some problems with the internal wall wirings but I changed the internal power cables to better quality ones and also got the connections done between these plugs directly on the MCB board. After this no issues of slow speed.

I have used powerline adapters in the past, but they are limited to 200 Mbps (theoretically, and I have never seen those speeds) and even the most basic of N300 routers will achieve better speeds, an AC router is a different league with gigabit speeds (have never achieved them, probably don't have the hardware). However, I guess for the OP they might be a good solution considering the PC is located in a different room.

I ended up buying a used Samsung BD-6500 from Amazon for 7.2K. Main reason is, it has all the bells and whistles along with dual core processor. It is said that the processor really helps in loading time. Find it working perfectly fine for some of the UK blurays as well. Has tons of apps. WiFi is pretty good. I am surprised that it was able to play bluray images as well without any hiccup over WiFi (5GHz 802.11ac). The ripped mts files also played fine. Got cinavia restriction message when playing some bluray image.

Colors are rich and deep. Sharpness is great on my 50" tv. Upsampling is very average when compared to madVr, but not too bad from given viewing distance. Preloaded with image tuning software for TV as well. So, you can tune for accurate colors upto the limitation of your TV. I did not use it as i have a calorimeter for tuning.

Bluray loading is pretty fast. The discs loaded in 10s or so. Remote is simple and easy to use. I has made my chromecast and Himedia player obsolete.

I am still seeing stuttering when streaming large files (20GB+ rips). Surprisingly, BD images don't stutter. Can't understand that why. My 4TB WD cloud has poor read speed of around 15Mb/s. It could be the reason. Not sure. WD cloud seems to be a disaster of purchase. I should have went for proper NAS.

I ended up buying a used Samsung BD-6500 from Amazon for 7.2K. Main reason is, it has all the bells and whistles along with dual core processor. It is said that the processor really helps in loading time. Find it working perfectly fine for some of the UK blurays as well. Has tons of apps. WiFi is pretty good. I am surprised that it was able to play bluray images as well without any hiccup over WiFi (5GHz 802.11ac). The ripped mts files also played fine. Got cinavia restriction message when playing some bluray image.

Colors are rich and deep. Sharpness is great on my 50" tv. Upsampling is very average when compared to madVr, but not too bad from given viewing distance. Preloaded with image tuning software for TV as well. So, you can tune for accurate colors upto the limitation of your TV. I did not use it as i have a calorimeter for tuning.

Bluray loading is pretty fast. The discs loaded in 10s or so. Remote is simple and easy to use. I has made my chromecast and Himedia player obsolete.

I am still seeing stuttering when streaming large files (20GB+ rips). Surprisingly, BD images don't stutter. Can't understand that why. My 4TB WD cloud has poor read speed of around 15Mb/s. It could be the reason. Not sure. WD cloud seems to be a disaster of purchase. I should have went for proper NAS.

Thanks for sharing the feedback. You were lucky to get the Samsung BDP @7.2k,:clapping: now it is getting sold @14999 which is more then the MRP :ohyeah:(10999)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back