Denon AU340 SUT

Spiritwinds

I have been reading very mixed review about this SUT.. is it really worth it or better to choose something else.. a lot of online reviews are mostly directed towards buyers remorse.. please advise

I have been reading very mixed review about this SUT.. is it really worth it or better to choose something else.. a lot of online reviews are mostly directed towards buyers remorse.. please advise
If you have a low output denon MC cart, then it will be worth giving it a try . Depending on your phono stage you might prefer it or not :)

It depends on what your reference is. I tried this SUT before it was put up on sale. In my case, the phono (Mod Squad/McCormack Phono Drive) is an out and out mc phono with discrete components with a slightly compromised mm stage that they assumed no one will use. The mm stage is not used for the mc circuit either. So in my case, the direct mc input sounded much better.

However if you have a really good mm phono like say the EAR 834p with upgraded tubes, this will be really really good. Also this SUT is built from ground up for the DL103 (non R) cartridge. If you have no fascination towards this cartridge, it is better to skip. If you love this cartridge, then maybe it is completely worth it depending on your phono.

It depends on what your reference is. I tried this SUT before it was put up on sale. In my case, the phono (Mod Squad/McCormack Phono Drive) is an out and out mc phono with discrete components with a slightly compromised mm stage that they assumed no one will use. The mm stage is not used for the mc circuit either. So in my case, the direct mc input sounded much better.

However if you have a really good mm phono like say the EAR 834p with upgraded tubes, this will be really really good. Also this SUT is built from ground up for the DL103 (non R) cartridge. If you have no fascination towards this cartridge, it is better to skip. If you love this cartridge, then maybe it is completely worth it depending on your phono.
Real pearls of wisdom :)

Even I found that the direct MC input of my bigbottle mk3 phono stage at 100 ohm loading sounded better than using a SUT into its MM stage. But, I really have to experiment more, as the EMT SUT seems to be sensitive to placement from transformers, so have to play around to get it far away enough to stop picking up hum. Maybe once I get rid of the hum, I can really see what it brings to the mix :)

Plus, I want to try swapping in some sovetek ECC 83 into the phono and see, as they come well recommended from fellow users.

Real pearls of wisdom :)

Even I found that the direct MC input of my bigbottle mk3 phono stage at 100 ohm loading sounded better than using a SUT into its MM stage. But, I really have to experiment more, as the EMT SUT seems to be sensitive to placement from transformers, so have to play around to get it far away enough to stop picking up hum. Maybe once I get rid of the hum, I can really see what it brings to the mix :)

Plus, I want to try swapping in some sovetek ECC 83 into the phono and see, as they come well recommended from fellow users.
ECC83 means get nos Telefunken. Nothing else will be in the same zip code!

One easy solution to hum is to put the entire phono or SUT into a wooden box and as you mentioned keep it far far away. This SUT had zero hum btw when I tried!

Wow...thanks a ton for that recommendation. Much appreciated...will definitely keep my eyes peeled for one. Thanks :)
Check with the designer of the phono. Telefunken can sound thin and analytical in the wrong phono/amp.

In my Croft, Telefunken ECC83 didn’t work. I much preferred original Tesla because that’s what the designer used when developing his amp.

The ECC83 works in my EMT 139 phono because that’s what was used when designing the phono.

Always check with the designer. He may have used Mullards or Amperex. They are also good but with a more forgiving fuller lusher sound.

The TSD 15 needs a 220-250 ohm loading. 100 ohms is not right. With addition of a resistor you might be able to change the existing MC loading of 100 ohms in your phono to 240 ohms. Check with the designer

The TSD 15 needs a 220-250 ohm loading. 100 ohms is not right. With addition of a resistor you might be able to change the existing MC loading of 100 ohms in your phono to 240 ohms. Check with the designer
Thanks a ton prem 😍 . Trying a 200 ohms plug has been in the plans for sometime. The issue is the Bigbottle phono does not come with dip switches for adjusting loading, I have to rig up a plug of that exact rating with resistors. The builder Big Oli originally suggested 100 ohms for the EMT, and he made the plugs accordingly for me. The maths is beyond me, so was using these all these days. Will figure out a way to get new plugs made. Thanks again :)

As regards the Telefunken's I have to check again, but a lot of folks in the UK are preferring either sovtek or telefunken ECC 83's in this phono. But Iam not sure exactly which one, so have to check again.

See if you can make it a 240 ohm load. And if the Teles work with your phono, nothing like it. It’s my favourite ECC 83 tubes. But I like German tubes which are generally transparent, neutral with a high bandwidth :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back