Denon or is this problem general?

Saiganesh

Hi guys
Recently noted this problem and i do know this problem for quite long as an anomaly.

Was watching a movie in prime video (blade runner i guess).
My front speakers were set to full range (audysy set so and ...)
Volume was at -9db.
during the movie there was a particular portion where a car starts and this engine sound started giving crackling noises in the front channel.
As my front channel is connected via crown 2502 amplifier, the indicators in the crown showed sudden spiked clipping signal when the speakers had cracking sound.
Shortly during this engine sound denon suddenly muted the volume.

Again while watching gemini man movie when the trains was passing there was this cracking soind again with crown indicating clipping. But this time denon dint mute and the cracking was not as much pronounced as before

When discussed in another forum one member said that denon checks digital audio packets and responds to mute if it senses anomalies.

Now when i set front speakers from full range to 40hz this cracking sound completely vanished and crown indicators were well below clipping range. But this time the subwoofer were pronounced.

I Have noted this well before too while using my pioneer.

Now is this a problem with prime ott (netflix too had this issue) ?? Not seen this happening with hdd (not sure)?

Doesnt this hurt woofer then?

The only way to confirm (or rule out) that it is the input signal is to connect your speakers directly to the Denon, playback the same passage and check for clipping. If it does not happen, there is something weird going with the pre outs probably sending too much current to the Crown or the power amp itself acting weird.

My front speakers were set to full range (audysy set so and ...)

Never set your speakers to full range. Always set fronts to small.

If you set to full range, even LFE signals get routed to fronts and will damage your speakers.

The whole intent of a HT system is to offload loud , low frequency sounds to the sub.

Clipping ho raha hai possibly. Too high current requirement by the speakers so AVR reduces the current going to the speaker.
The avr is not connected to speaker. But avr is connected to crown amp (xls2502) via rca. So rca doesnt give any feedback signal from crown to denon about clipping. But denon muted. Meaning denon sensed the current was going high from within itself

The avr is not connected to speaker. But avr is connected to crown amp (xls2502) via rca. So rca doesnt give any feedback signal from crown to denon about clipping. But denon muted. Meaning denon sensed the current was going high from within itself

And that is becasue fronts have been set to LArge / Full Range.

Change the setting and re-test.

The only way to confirm (or rule out) that it is the input signal is to connect your speakers directly to the Denon, playback the same passage and check for clipping. If it does not happen, there is something weird going with the pre outs probably sending too much current to the Crown or the power amp itself acting weird.
Speaker directly to denon and denon in built amp is shit and something weird going on inside. No matter what crossover I set it at, it wil randomly play what it wants to and we wont know wether its clipping.

But this has happened with my pioneer too. There used to be a jarring sound from the speaker (monitor audio silver rx6 tower). I used to think the tower is too small to handle.

Here again now the problem persist with denon too (with crown amp)
I strongly guess the signal from prime itself is to be blamed. Please check this video ( catefully if u can) from prime following time stamp

1. Gemini man - prime video at 1.34 to 1.38...
The scene where they show inside the train and another train passes in the opposite side quickly. Thats when the clipping happens.
This is a mild clipping.

2. Simulant-prime video at 1.06.20 car starts goes out of parking.
This is a very strong signal. And this where denon muted (volume at -9db, never seen such clipping signals even at +6db and this video has very low volume on other portions. Its deceptively damaging speakers and woofers )

Condition to be met is it should be played from prime video where the signal is consistently very abnormally strong. I played at -12db.
Prime video (and even Netflix ) is doing this to please the audio superiority or its flawed.

THis can seriously damage the woofer (if front speaker is not set to full range) or front speakers if set at full range.
This will not damage immediately but on the longer run it will!! (Lost 2 subwoofers and 3 tweeters so far)

If we adjust the subwoofer to lower levels to protect the fun of music at most (all) portion is lost. And it has to be lowered so much low to that existence of subwoofer is questionable!

Tried in 2 different avr and 2 different speakers and the results were same for me. Have you guys tried this?
ALso can find such burst in netflix too, but not as strong!!

Argho please read above. If we set speakers to small this sudden burst signals will damage thr woofers in long run!!

Last edited:
And that is becasue fronts have been set to LArge / Full Range.

Change the setting and re-test.
Please read above. If we set front speakers to small it will damage the woofers in long run!! I lost 2 sub woofers (most expensive ones i had so far) and 3 tweeters (and it cost too though not as much )
These burst are the main reasons.
I have a online ups and 2kva continuum stabilizer. No way i could loose these with the set up and care i take

I do understand what full range does. But here throughout the movie the volume is very low but only at this portion there is this sudden burst. This is deceptively damaging.my speakers can handle this but its too strong even for the woofer. We might not know it but its damaging.

Last edited:
Please read above. If we set front speakers to small it will damage the woofers in long run!! I lost 2 sub woofers (most expensive ones i had so far) and 3 tweeters (and it cost too though not as much )
These burst are the main reasons.
I have a online ups and 2kva continuum stabilizer. No way i could loose these with the set up and care i take

I do understand what full range does. But here throughout the movie the volume is very low but only at this portion there is this sudden burst. This is deceptively damaging.my speakers can handle this but its too strong even for the woofer. We might not know it but its damaging.
One option is to run the same scene via external hard disk and check. Also check if there is any loudness /dynamic range management in AVR.

Never set your speakers to full range. Always set fronts to small.
The whole intent of a HT system is to offload loud , low frequency sounds to the sub.
You need to do this only if your speakers are incapable of any meaningful low frequency response. A floor stand can do pretty good and you can set the curve between 50hz to 60hz. If you cut off bass completely, you end up with an over worked sub woofer and sometimes a gap in bass. Its a different story if it were a bookshelf loudspeaker. There are some exception but need to be tailored based on what the speaker can do.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back