Dispersion: A Show and Tell

Analogous

A lot of us listen to our systems alone, most of the times. And we sit at the sweet spot. I particularly appreciate narrow dispersion. At the sweet spot if gives strong imaging.

A lot of us listen to our systems alone, most of the times. And we sit at the sweet spot. I particularly appreciate narrow dispersion. At the sweet spot if gives strong imaging.
It’s fine to have a wider dispersion, but it should be uniform and similar to the on axis. That’s the real challenge which every manufacturer struggles to engineer.

What I found interesting particularly is the statement that many/most studio monitors are designed for narrow dispersion as the sound engineer usually works alone.

Seems to imply something about playback wider dispersion designs but can’t figure out what 🙂

What I found interesting particularly is the statement that many/most studio monitors are designed for narrow dispersion as the sound engineer usually works alone.

Seems to imply something about playback wider dispersion designs but can’t figure out what 🙂
Narrow dispersion when you want to make sure its a smaller and more precise listening position where it room behaviour is predictable due to treatment.

Wider when you want a wider listening stage .while Horns and waveguides are usually used to control dispersion and As @Passive_audio_enthusiast mentioned, its ideal to get a even dispersion but there could be a difference and Toe in is an option to adjust accordingly to get the right tonality.

Narrow dispersion when you want to make sure its a smaller and more precise listening position where it room behaviour is predictable due to treatment.

Wider when you want a wider listening stage .while Horns and waveguides are usually used to control dispersion and As @Passive_audio_enthusiast mentioned, its ideal to get a even dispersion but there could be a difference and Toe in is an option to adjust accordingly to get the right tonality.
Add Near field listening set up to the above situ

Closer to a Headphone experience then?
Sort of... There is still some sound from the left speaker received by the Right ear & Visa versa.

To me the sound is rather "Upfront" and "In Your Face"

To me, studio monitors often lack finesse... but pack a punch, can play loud (without distortion) and are often relatively small in size. The drivers are usually placed close together, for the criteria below.

An important criteria for studio monitors is that the sound from the drivers (eg Tweeter & Woofer of a particular channel) need to converge quickly, ie over much shorter distances (eg 5 feet) than for Home speakers that typically require the listener to sit much further away (9 Feet or more) from Home speakers

I have a speaker which has quite narrow dispersion now. All my previous ones had very wide dispersion. It only sounds wide and room filling if the recording is done in a spacious way. Earlier I was in the middle of every song! I like both, I would have preferred it but wider but now the imaging is way better as you said. But probably it has more to do with the coax than the dispersion in my case

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back