Dual -> Quad Subwoofer Upgrade for Stereo Listening?

tpoddar

I have a dedicated HT room measuring (16.33x14x10.5). I currently have two SVS SB1000 Pro Subwoofers optimised with Dirac Bass Control in the room. The room is used for stereo listening 80% of the time. I am considering adding 2 additional subwoofers for a smoother response and the 6db additional gain I will get from the same. Has anyone made a similar upgrade from 2 to 4 subwoofers? How was your experience and do you recommend it?

I have a dedicated HT room measuring (16.33x14x10.5). I currently have two SVS SB1000 Pro Subwoofers optimised with Dirac Bass Control in the room. The room is used for stereo listening 80% of the time. I am considering adding 2 additional subwoofers for a smoother response and the 6db additional gain I will get from the same. Has anyone made a similar upgrade from 2 to 4 subwoofers? How was your experience and do you recommend it?
That's a big room for those subs..
Check the current performance first before buying 2 more subs as 2 subs should be sufficient for a single seat.
6 db gain isn't guaranteed.
To get that gain you need to keep your subs together.
I would rather upgrade to two better subwoofers.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

In personal experience the bass that a sb16 (meaning a larger sub) gives cannot be got from multiple subs. For a quad sub i would surely choose a 10" sub + 2x12" subs and a 1 16" sub.
And use mini dsp (or dirac- i dont know about dirac much) to channel 100hz to 80hz to a 10" sub, then 80hz to 40hz to 12" and everything below 40hz to 16".
Now this frequency distribution doesnt mean complete cut off of the frequencies but making these subs pronounce those frequency range by dipping out other frequrncy ranges.
Now most of the people (and even brands) will recomend for same size sub. But 2 reasons to go for multiple size subs
1. Ofcourse cost
2. Very importantly- biggers subs are not that effecient in producing those higher lo's (80hz range) and even if they did the sub 40hz performance will be affected. And the small subs (like sunfire hrs 10) can very beautifully handle those higher lo's (say 60hz and above range)

Are you looking for an objective answer or a subjective answer?
any would do. Just looking for an answer from someone who’s made the more from 2 to 4 subwoofers.
In personal experience the bass that a sb16 (meaning a larger sub) gives cannot be got from multiple subs. For a quad sub i would surely choose a 10" sub + 2x12" subs and a 1 16" sub.
And use mini dsp (or dirac- i dont know about dirac much) to channel 100hz to 80hz to a 10" sub, then 80hz to 40hz to 12" and everything below 40hz to 16".
Now this frequency distribution doesnt mean complete cut off of the frequencies but making these subs pronounce those frequency range by dipping out other frequrncy ranges.
Now most of the people (and even brands) will recomend for same size sub. But 2 reasons to go for multiple size subs
1. Ofcourse cost
2. Very importantly- biggers subs are not that effecient in producing those higher lo's (80hz range) and even if they did the sub 40hz performance will be affected. And the small subs (like sunfire hrs 10) can very beautifully handle those higher lo's (say 60hz and above range)
I’m not looking to mix match subwoofers and only looking to stay within the same series.

I use a quad Subwoofer setup 2 x SVS Sb16 Ultra and 2 x Rythmik F15Hp.
Dedicated room
Room Size is approx 380 sq feet. ( 100% Music)

My goal in using 4 Subs was not for a Db gain, as both the Subs are top tier and by itself have output capabilities far beyond my requirements.

The goal was to get a smoother response. Going from 2 to 4 and since they are from different brands . took a lot of tinkering and fine tuning and at this point I can safely say it was money well spent.

The bass response is terrific and consistent throughout the room, even at really insane volumes I can barely see the Subs flex.

The Rythmik come in to play from 40 to 80hz and the SVS plays below 40 hz (24 Db slope)

Although I could cross all 4 at 80Hz and even 60hhz I find this to be optimal in terms of SQ in my setup as each subs has their respective strengths

I cant really give you any insight into the output gain I had when adding the 3rd and 4th sub. as If I had to attempt to see how loud they could go It would definitely have caused structural damage to my room as well as permanent hearing loss.

Last edited:
In short, there is no downside to more subwoofers other than it's integration and setup. I recommend only manual setup but IIRC you are inclined towards automated setup. So here is my opinion for manual setup I recommend as many subs as possible, assuming you have the time and skills to set it up by ear. For automated setup, well I don't recommend automated setup. One final note, for music only, a sub for most cases need only go to about 40Hz. For mixed use, two way bass is a good idea. In this case for music I would recommend to keep the "low bass" subs off.

That's a big room for those subs..
Check the current performance first before buying 2 more subs as 2 subs should be sufficient for a single seat.
6 db gain isn't guaranteed.
To get that gain you need to keep your subs together.
I would rather upgrade to two better subwoofers.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
hi sir, i dont know how to dm you, can you help me source spandex material for building my diy screen?
please can you dm me back…

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back