Every Year, This Finnish City Blasts Classical Music to Keep Youths Away

Analogous

For the past few years, police in the Finnish city of Espoo have been employing an intriguing tactic to keep youths from partying on a local beach – blasting classical music from loudspeakers.

There is no scientific evidence that young people have an aversion to classical music, but police in Espoo swear that it works, and the fact that they have been using this tactic for the last six years is a testament to that. Apparently, at the end of the school, year, the beach in Espoo’s Haukilahti neighborhood becomes a popular gathering place for youths eager to party until the late hours of the night. Local authorities had tried multiple other methods to disperse youths, but nothing worked quite as well as classical music masterpieces like Strauss’ The Blue Danube, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons and Schubert’s Ave Maria.

So, starting in early June, police blast classical music from a couple of loudspeakers on the beach to keep youths from gathering there after sunset.

For the past few years, police in the Finnish city of Espoo have been employing an intriguing tactic to keep youths from partying on a local beach – blasting classical music from loudspeakers.

There is no scientific evidence that young people have an aversion to classical music, but police in Espoo swear that it works, and the fact that they have been using this tactic for the last six years is a testament to that. Apparently, at the end of the school, year, the beach in Espoo’s Haukilahti neighborhood becomes a popular gathering place for youths eager to party until the late hours of the night. Local authorities had tried multiple other methods to disperse youths, but nothing worked quite as well as classical music masterpieces like Strauss’ The Blue Danube, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons and Schubert’s Ave Maria.

So, starting in early June, police blast classical music from a couple of loudspeakers on the beach to keep youths from gathering there after sunset.
I am surprised at the lack of ingenuity by the local youth population!
All they have to do is to get an audio setup, a person good in tempo matching, equipment for sampling drums and play the hard rhythm in sync with the classical music being played!

Wow..
I was in Espoo for a few days in December. Very sleepy suburb. Didn't realize people are either capable of partying hard or playing loud music, classical or otherwise 🤔
But then it was minus 25°C with knee deep snow, so I guess people were just sitting inside the house, waiting for Santa. 😊😊

I am surprised at the lack of ingenuity by the local youth population!
All they have to do is to get an audio setup, a person good in tempo matching, equipment for sampling drums and play the hard rhythm in sync with the classical music being played!
I was about to say the same. Convert the classical into heavy metal or house music by jamming with it!

Wow..
I was in Espoo for a few days in December. Very sleepy suburb. Didn't realize people are either capable of partying hard or playing loud music, classical or otherwise 🤔
But then it was minus 25°C with knee deep snow, so I guess people were just sitting inside the house, waiting for Santa. 😊😊
At -25 degrees the party moves to saunas I guess

I was about to say the same. Convert the classical into heavy metal or house music by jamming with it!
That would invite the young horde. I think their idea was to keep them from organising their raves.
Difficult to do with western classical music being played loud?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back