Google discontinuing its famed Chromecast

End of an era surely

It was time. Google TV (not the same as Android TV) as an interface on smart TVs does everything needed, and well. Also a competitive advantage over Apple and Amazon who have to (and will continue to) depend on additional boxes/sticks for the same. Highly unlikely that either of these competitors can influence the TV makers to put their UIs to the TV sets instead. A clear risk for Apple’s OTT streaming business which is highly dependent on the Apple TV puck (I doubt many of us prefer to watch OTT content on iPads or iPhones over a TV set)

It was time. Google TV (not the same as Android TV) as an interface on smart TVs does everything needed, and well. Also a competitive advantage over Apple and Amazon who have to (and will continue to) depend on additional boxes/sticks for the same. Highly unlikely that either of these competitors can influence the TV makers to put their UIs to the TV sets instead. A clear risk for Apple’s OTT streaming business which is highly dependent on the Apple TV puck (I doubt many of us prefer to watch OTT content on iPads or iPhones over a TV set)
afaik not all android tvs have Google tv interface. They've come up with this device (as a replacement to Chromecast) which is available to pre-order.

afaik not all android tvs have Google tv interface.
Yes, that’s the reason I wrote ‘Google TV (not the same as Android TV). I’ve used it on my sisters’s Sony Bravia we bought a few months ago and I found it as good an interface (and more integrated naturally for Android gadget users like her) as Apple TV that I myself use (being into the Apple ecosystem).

They've come up with this device (as a replacement to Chromecast) which is available to pre-order.

I wonder what this device would provide beyond what the Google TV interface on smart TVs provide. Perhaps better video and audio quality… which wouid matter to say 10% of the smart TV users enough to spend a separate amount on it, especially if Google TV is already integrated into their TV set. The smart home features in this new product are already there in your smart speaker - which most of us have, of one make or another

My own TV is a 10 year old plasma which, while being a smart TV of those days, has an UI that was very rudimentary. I never used it and added an Apple TV the moment it was available in India. But for my next TV purchase I’d be seriously considering going for a Google TV integrated LED/OLED and retire the Apple TV. The ecosystem benefits are alright, but don’t really affect so much for OTT (because ‘wish lists’, ‘last played’ etc is managed at the level of the apps and not at the UI level).

P.S. I also wonder if the convergence would extend further to even gaming. Would game consoles become obsolete (or niche) in future if the smart TVs come with processors and memory enough for all or all but the most demanding games?

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back