Greetings !

TJay

Hello dear friends !
Joined this forum a few minutes ago. Really excited to see quite a few posts related to Home Theater.
I intend to set up my very first HT in a few weeks from now, and have been doing some research on the same.
I am impressed by the concept of separates (processor + amp).
I would be checking historical posts on this forum related to this topic.
Would share the details (room dimension, wishlist wrt the configurations, etc) soon.

Welcome to the group. Thinks that make easier for others to suggest
Budget
Room dimensions
Usage ( Primary audio, video %)
Brands preference
HT so what kind of setup projector based or TV based etc

All the best to find your perfect fit.

Welcome to the group. Thinks that make easier for others to suggest
Budget
Room dimensions
Usage ( Primary audio, video %)
Brands preference
HT so what kind of setup projector based or TV based etc

All the best to find your perfect fit.
Thank you for the welcome.

I would eventually want to achieve a 7.1.4 (if the dimension of my tiny room permits :)
The spare room which i intend to convert is 10ft x 14ft. Its not perfectly rectangular in shape though. I understand that i am being over ambitious by trying to squeeze in a 7.1.4 into this room. Atmos to be achieved using ceiling speakers and not up-firing speakers.
I am particularly inspired by what i read and understood in the below few links:

As far as budget is concerned ... here goes .. things are still not firmed up in this area ..
Processor + Amplifier : Around 5L
I have a liking for Anthem processors.. AVM 60, strictly based on what i have researched and not via experience.
There is also the option of going for Marantz AV7706.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VbKhuql738l/p_973AVM60/Anthem-AVM-60.html
As far as amplifier is concerned, Rotel has been recommended. However this is still open.

Speakers: I am a big fan of Klipsch (again, not via experience). However i am open to understanding the merits/demerits of Klipsch. It is perfectly understood that any equipment i intend to go for, needs to be in congruence with the dimension of my room. I dont have the liberty to get a room for my speakers hence i need to find the speakers for my room :) Speakers are something that i intend to go in phases. The bare minimum first (sans the atmos). There is no clear definition of the number of phases. However there is a clear intention of getting this all done within 12 months. I am definitely not in favor of a big bang approach.
Budget: For the entire speaker setup, around 10L

Room acoustics: I have no idea how much i would need to spend on this. However i understand that this is something i cannot ignore.

Usage: Movies .. Largely english .. eventually would wish to enjoy a lot of atmos content even if it means it gets a bit loud :)
Music as well (nothing loud as far as music is concerned... leaning towards hindustani classical)

Screen: I intend to go with a TV first. 55 inch maybe or one which is suitable for this room dimension. Maybe upgrade to a low throw projector and projector screen combination later. Since my ultimate aim is to go 7.1.4, i understand that i need to leave some space behind the seating position for rear surround and rear heights. This would be a "2 seater" arrangement. No plans to increase the seats in the future.

Why separates? I dont intend to upgrade as far as processors/amps are concerned. Do not want to go for an AVR, only to exchange it for separates later. Going AVR + amp is also an option, agreed. But i understand that sound quality is better with processor + amp.

The point where i am not too sure (besides the zillions of apprehensions :) is whether going for speakers with different brands would be okay. I have read mixed reviews on this topic. I understand there is a "timbre match" issue associated with this topic. My limited knowledge and ignorance wants me to go ...
Brand 1 - LCR; (could we go for a separate brand for center speaker ?)
Brand 2 - Surrounds
Brand 3 - Ceiling speakers
Brand 4 - Subwoofers

Can we even get a combination of brands and models which attends to the "timbre match" issue.

I have read multiple reviews about dialogues not being too clear while watching a movie on HT. Some turn on subtitles and/or rewind. This would be a big turn-off for me. Is the center speaker usually responsible? In that case i would want to go for one which delivers clarity of speech. Would want to pay special attention to this point while setting up. It could be the speakers (combination or individual speaker), it could be the booming due to unattended room acoustics, it could be the room dimension.

I would appreciate honest feedback from my friends here about my intended approach. Disapproving comments are more welcome :)
Also, would request the experts in this forum to suggest feedback for the queries.
Most importantly i request my friends out there who have experienced the brand names mentioned earlier to give an honest review of their experience, especially wrt after sales.

Long post, i know :) I guess i am just too excited to share whatever i have gathered till now.
Cheers !

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back