Help Needed: HTS setup from scratch

sk_music

Hi,
I am new to this forum and a newbie in audiophile group too. I m planning to setup my first HTS.

Requirement: A system or 70% music 30% movies. I want to later build on this to make a 5.1 HTS setup. To that end, I want to buy speakers such that it would be useful later on.

Reading a lot on forum I have zeroed on dali zensar 7 speakers. I am also in two minds about polk audio RTiA3 too. I haven't tries anything yet. This is all based on readnig on internet. :-).

Currently, I am in pune but visiting Mumbai for two weeks starting next week.
Please suggest some good dealers for demos for these speakers.

Regarding receiver/amplifier, I haven't zeroed in on anything yet. But if stereo receiver combined with above set of speakers serves purpose for good movie viewing experience and awesome music then I am open to that as well.
Please suggest an amplifier too.

Thanks,
sk

Hi

Firstly you need to decide how much are you willing to spend on the system. What kind of speakers you want (towers, bookshelf, satellite) and how big is the room or listening area.

Based on all these details, you can visit the many dealers in Mumbai where you can audition systems and decide for yourself what appeals to you....

There are ample reviews and threads around systems which many of us FMs have posted....browse through the forum sections on Home Theatre or click on my name for related posts....

Also if budget is a slight challenge, some of us FMs put our gear up for sale where you could get lucky and get a pre owned equipment for reasonable rates...See the For Sale by Owner section and also Hi Fi Ads.....there are good ads around AVRs and Speakers which may meet your requirements....

All the best

Living Room area = 320sqft which opens to kitchen
I have decided on floor standers after listening to JBL speakers at their showrooms and reading reviews for floor standers&BS.
Will audition for FS and BS once again.

Budget: 80000 for Two FS + stereo amp
Budget: 100000 for Two FS + av receiver, as later I don't have to put extra for av.

Some of my shortlistings:

NAD 3020:resale + Dali zensar 7
Harman Kardon stereo amp:resale + Dali zensar 7

The above selection is based on going through the reviews and threads so I want to audition for Dali zensar + Polk Audio only for now unless I get some advise for other speakers.

Looking for advise on the amp+speaker combination and also if the selected setup can be easily expanded to 5.1 HT.

Thanks,
sk

Living Room area = 320sqft which opens to kitchen
I have decided on floor standers after listening to JBL speakers at their showrooms and reading reviews for floor standers&BS.
Will audition for FS and BS once again.

Budget: 80000 for Two FS + stereo amp
Budget: 100000 for Two FS + av receiver, as later I don't have to put extra for av.

Some of my shortlistings:

NAD 3020:resale + Dali zensar 7
Harman Kardon stereo amp:resale + Dali zensar 7

The above selection is based on going through the reviews and threads so I want to audition for Dali zensar + Polk Audio only for now unless I get some advise for other speakers.

Looking for advise on the amp+speaker combination and also if the selected setup can be easily expanded to 5.1 HT.

Thanks,
sk

Hi, I see that you have taken a fancy to Dali Z7. They are mighty fine speakers. NAD 3020 has only sub out so you cannot have a 5.1 system later, and maybe it would be the same HK stereo amp (model not specified).

Zensor 7 should be around 70 - 75 K if I am not mistaken, if you have the space for them then you should consider Polk Audio RTi A7 (Under 60K).

But IMO in either case the NAD 3020 maybe underpowered to drive the Z7 and A7 to its potential.

Look into Yamaha AVR's, you could get a good one for 40 to 50 K. For your rom size, I would suggest an AVR around 40-45K, and a pair of Zensor 5 (since you are inclined towards Dali) to start off with and slowly keep adding later.

Cheers.

Hi SK Music

If you are gonna trip on the Dali 7 then you need strong amp / avr which are rated between 30w rms to 150w rms per channel @ 6 ohms load....

This means you need to look at AMPs / AVRs which pack such kind of power...and perform without a sweat....such AVRs cost well above the 55-60k segment depending on brand, features etc....

You can look at NAD, Marantz (SR Series), Denon (2000 series and beyond) etc....if you are not too much into gimmicks like Dolby Atmos, Wifi, Blue Tooth, you can get good AVRs (older models) which will serve your purpose and if budget is a challenge, look at stuff on Hi Fi Ads....

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back