HiFi Snoberry (and reverse Snoberry)?

Analogous

Darko tries to take the “Fi” out of “HiFi”. But will it fly?

Would this hobby survive without snobbery and reverse snobbery? How would it be?

Without watching the video, ‘yes, it can’. As exemplified by older audiophiles from the generation gone by. Like some Parsi gents who left behind turntables, speakers and scores of LPs. And some other professionals. The show-off/ snobbery is more a trait of our generation in all walks of life. Social media has accelerated it.

Last edited:
i believe there always were both and perhaps the same proportion, just that today it is amplified more for people who like to show off and those who dont remain in the background.

i believe there always were both and perhaps the same proportion, just that today it is amplified more for people who like to show off and those who dont remain in the background.
It exists in all aspects of life I feel. To list a few common ones….
Gold and jewellery, watches (at social events)
Wealth and property (Land, houses)
Vehicles (cars, two wheelers)
mobile Phones and electronic appliances
Branded attire, shoes
Food and beverages
Travel and experiences

The list seems endless in this age of conspicuous consumption.

Many of these are constantly under scrutiny and discussion on social media.

The search for exclusivity is firmly entrenched at least among those who don’t have to worry about basic needs (food, shelter, safety and clothing)

This is an inward (and uncomfortable?) look at Audiophiles 😄

Like some Parsi gents who left behind turntables, speakers and scores of LPs. And some other professionals.
Why the specific mention of Parsi gents and non Parsi "professionals"? Is it because your experience/understanding/knowledge has been limited to these two?
I know of tons of non Parsi's and non professionals in their field who could not be termed audiophiles but who used turntables, speakers, LP's etc. Just possession/usage of these does not make an audiophile.
An example: My father had/used all of the mentioned equipment/media but he was not an audiophile by a long shot. When I was very young, possessing these was very common among folks who listened to music.

Why the specific mention of Parsi gents and non Parsi "professionals"? Is it because your experience/understanding/knowledge has been limited to these two?
I know of tons of non Parsi's and non professionals in their field who could not be termed audiophiles but who used turntables, speakers, LP's etc. Just possession/usage of these does not make an audiophile.
An example: My father had/used all of the mentioned equipment/media but he was not an audiophile by a long shot. When I was very young, possessing these was very common among folks who listened to music.
I urge you to focus on the essence and pardon my (demographic) classification if you find it erroneous.

We differ on what constitutes an audiophile. I don’t believe that one becomes an audiophile only when they constantly strive to improve their system or participate in forums like this. One is an audiophile to me if they value good sound and enjoy it.

When I was very young, the music consumption was done over radio in the households around me, including mine. As I grew up, we moved to those two or three in ones. But some, a very small minority had turntables and speakers, or even a good quality dedicated cassette player. I’d say they were audio connoisseurs or audiophiles.

It exists in all aspects of life I feel. To list a few common ones….
Gold and jewellery, watches (at social events)
Wealth and property (Land, houses)
Vehicles (cars, two wheelers)
mobile Phones and electronic appliances
Branded attire, shoes
Food and beverages
Travel and experiences

The list seems endless in this age of conspicuous consumption.

Many of these are constantly under scrutiny and discussion on social media.

The search for exclusivity is firmly entrenched at least among those who don’t have to worry about basic needs (food, shelter, safety and clothing)

This is an inward (and uncomfortable?) look at Audiophiles 😄
Well said. It takes a lot for one to earn/possess something and disassociate one’s self esteem from that achievement/ possession. As humans we are all, to differing degrees, prone to feeling good (or not) about ourselves based on what we perceive others think of us.

Unlike some other possessions like say a car or an attire, our audio system isn’t ‘in the eyes of others’ by default. Even a majority of visitors to our house don’t even notice our music system if it’s not playing. Social media helps us to get to and engage with others who do. So, audiophilic snobbery might have benefitted more through the proliferation of social media.

Last edited:
I know quite a few people - who equate spending large sums of money on audio equipment - to better sound, without first bothering to listen to the equipment. They won't even acknowledge that a cheaper piece of eqpt. (properly implemented of-course) sounds better. OTOH I know very, very few reverse snobs - maybe 1 or 2 at most, who sacrifice some of the other show off items - like a German sedan, or a fancy watch for better hifi eqpt. So at-least in my sphere, there are more hifi snobs than the reverse - and that is part of our national psyche (at-least the way its evolving) - is the show off culture (My pet peeve here is the national waste on the big fat Indian wedding - other day my driver who earns 21k pm invited 700 people for his daughter's wedding - enough said).
Cheers,
Sid

Darko tries to take the “Fi” out of “HiFi”. But will it fly?

Would this hobby survive without snobbery and reverse snobbery? How would it be?
I like the fact that he calls out both snoberry and reverse snoberry. I guess this a phenomenon that is pervasive in all kinds of niche or luxury hobbies and interests. Cars, bikes, collections (art, books, jewellery ,watches, shoes, pens), cameras, fishing equipment etc etc. We secretly aspire to what is out of our reach while hating on those who have the means to own it, while feeling superior or smug when comparing what we feel is beneath us.

I like the fact that he calls out both snoberry and reverse snoberry. I guess this a phenomenon that is pervasive in all kinds of niche or luxury hobbies and interests. Cars, bikes, collections (art, books, jewellery ,watches, shoes, pens), cameras, fishing equipment etc etc. We secretly aspire to what is out of our reach while hating on those who have the means to own it, while feeling superior or smug when comparing what we feel is beneath us.
Then there is the “sour grapes” phenomenon and the far more vexing issue of the gap between those who can’t take basic human needs for granted and those who can afford to own any type of audio equipment. This problem may not be as common in western Europe though

For some uniquely curious reasons, I was reading the title as SNOW-BERRY
:oops:
Like many other things in life, most of the people are influenced not by data or logic or principles but by emotions.
Audiophoolery being no exception.

Pride & jealousy have been a big motivator for human endeavors.

Being conscious of this issue and its various aspects as discussed above itself would be a good learning for those in the hobby and those aspiring to.

While there may not be clear pointers or roadmaps on the path to take, it’s good to be able to introspect and be self aware while spending the hard earned or easily earned/inherited moolah?

WRT, the video,
I have met both those types of snobs. Plenty of them. I guess it is just a matter of priority. Many of the inverted snobs regularly spend plenty of money on other things though.
As far as the regular snobs go, some don't understand the "level" at which the less spending guy is and the "spend vs happiness" the guy is getting from what he currently owns. The further the guy goes into the rabbit hole, he needs to spend more to get the same level of happiness although the system gets technically superior. All deep hobbies work like this.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back