How often do you experience awe/amazement or even reverence while listening to music?

Analogous

Awe has elements of admiration and respect!
The word “awesome“ is popular among young people. Some even use “ossum” for a variety of reasons.
I came across this article that proposes that Awe is like a wonder drug for your mental and physical health.
While we enjoy a lot of the music we listen to, how often are we amazed at the music we listen to?
The amazement at the talent who wrote the poetry/lyrics,
The evocative composition and arrangement of the music
The set up that presents all this in the most engaging way
The entire experience that moves us (joy, sadness, fantasy etc)
How aware are we of these experiences?

The amazement at the talent who wrote the poetry/lyrics,
The evocative composition and arrangement of the music
The set up that presents all this in the most engaging way
The entire experience that moves us (joy, sadness, fantasy etc)
This, in a nutshell, is why I listen to music in the first place ! When I listen actively , that is.
I can clearly differentiate between times when I listen actively and passively (eg when driving, or turning up the volume and doing things around the house)
I have struck off the line about the set up because in my opinion , if the music is awesome, the equipment does not add or take away from the awe significantly.
For example, I have heard Handels Messiah played off a mono cassette player , performed live in a modern auditorium by a professional choir , performed live without amplification by an amateur church choir, digital recordings played off my own stereo set up, and played on earphones. I have always been awed by it.

This, in a nutshell, is why I listen to music in the first place ! When I listen actively , that is.
I can clearly differentiate between times when I listen actively and passively (eg when driving, or turning up the volume and doing things around the house)
I have struck off the line about the set up because in my opinion , if the music is awesome, the equipment does not add or take away from the awe significantly.
For example, I have heard Handels Messiah played off a mono cassette player , performed live in a modern auditorium by a professional choir , performed live without amplification by an amateur church choir, digital recordings played off my own stereo set up, and played on earphones. I have always been awed by it.
Logged in to like this comment.
Thank you for stating this so succinctly.
In pursuit of the elusive perfect setup , I’ve seen countless audiophiles (who are not DIYers or technical geeks ) dazed , confused and lost in never ending upgrade cycles ,ignoring the very reason , the sole purpose of why they got into this entire rigmarole in the first place.

When I listen to -

Ilaiyaraaja songs from 80's to 90's in Tamizh Films
Gulzar's Lyrics in many Hit Hindi Films

When I used to travel overnight in State Transport Buses from one district in Tamilnadu to Other, they would play old songs through out the night . Sitting in the last row seat near the door , Natural Air / Wind , Half Asleep / Awake , Getting down in between to have Coffee/ Idli/Dosa and again listening to old songs there in that hotel / stall . Just pure music without worrying about anything else .

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back