How to reuse 2 Sony Bookshelf speakers (350 W, 4 Ohms, 1KHz)?

Sankar81

Dear Community,
I am new to this forum but have been enjoying reading through different posts here. I am here to seek expert advice on how I can reuse my Sony speakers.
These were part of my 2014 Sony home audio system MHC-GZX330. I have been having some issues with this on and off but currently the issue is even though the main unit powers up there is absolutely NO SOUND I get from the speakers! I took the unit to Sony Service at Adyar and the engineer asked me to give up on the unit and move on. I couldn't understand and accept this vague advice as why the authorized service people they themselves should abandon me.(Note: the speakers are working when checked on a different unit).
Then I took the unit to Ritchie street (I live in Chennai) hoping to find someone who can rectify the issue. Many I bumped onto in Ritchie street directed me to Mr. Perumal. He checked the unit and initially did not promise to repair but I convinced him to take his time and look into it. After a week to ten days when I called him he asked me to take back the unit and he couldn't repair it. The issue might be in the motherboard he said.
So sorry for the long story...
Myself and my wife we miss the music a lot. Since then I have been wondering if there could be someone who can still repair the main unit! Any advice on this would be really helpful.
Also I have been reading and fancying about AVRs and a way to use my existing Sony speakers in one such unit.
We don't have a TV at home so I don't really need an AVR right away. Any affordable solution to just listen to some quality music by using the same Sony speakers would be great. Please advice me on some budget friendly solutions. Thank you in advance.

Your best option would be a two channel stereo amplifier to reuse the Sony speakers. A cheap class D from Fossi or Aiyima would do the trick. Most of these amplifiers having inbuilt bluetooth receiver, help you stream from your smartphones or tablets without much hiccups.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I shall certainly check out those options.

As stereo amplifier will be the best option but first find out the RMS power rating of these speakers. 350w is too high power and must be over exaggerated as in most of these consumer electronic brands. Take a decision only based on the real power ratings of speakers + other specifications.

As stereo amplifier will be the best option but first find out the RMS power rating of these speakers. 350w is too high power and must be over exaggerated as in most of these consumer electronic brands. Take a decision only based on the real power ratings of speakers + other specifications.
Thanks. Knowing the actual power output will help me pick the right amplifier. Of the ones I checked online the closest has 300W and 4 Ohms per channel and not 350W.

Thanks. Knowing the actual power output will help me pick the right amplifier. Of the ones I checked online the closest has 300W and 4 Ohms per channel and not 350W.
Try to find the lowest power the speaker need. Like every branded spk has a range say minimum amp power required 25 w per channel so for a speaker that can take max load of 100w the minimum required is 25w. This is just an example. Try to look into some branded speaker specs online like Elac etc and you will come to know what I am saying. RMS is the right rating and do not get fooled by this 300w and 350w gimmick it is the peak point that the speaker can bear at rare flare of power which happens rarely. This will help you pick the right amplifier that can feed your speakers properly. Like if speakers have a min and max point at a certain impedance then you can pick a suitable amp within that power range.

Try to find the lowest power the speaker need. Like every branded spk has a range say minimum amp power required 25 w per channel so for a speaker that can take max load of 100w the minimum required is 25w. This is just an example. Try to look into some branded speaker specs online like Elac etc and you will come to know what I am saying. RMS is the right rating and do not get fooled by this 300w and 350w gimmick it is the peak point that the speaker can bear at rare flare of power which happens rarely. This will help you pick the right amplifier that can feed your speakers properly. Like if speakers have a min and max point at a certain impedance then you can pick a suitable amp within that power range.
Hi,
Thank you so much for the clarification about the power rating, I really appreciate it and it is a new knowledge for me. I am also looking for a a suitable used amplifier here in this forum or elsewhere that might for a good price to resume my journey. I will see my luck. Thanks a lot for your time.

Hi,
Thank you so much for the clarification about the power rating, I really appreciate it and it is a new knowledge for me. I am also looking for a a suitable used amplifier here in this forum or elsewhere that might for a good price to resume my journey. I will see my luck. Thanks a lot for your time.

You can check ads listed for good used amplifiers on OLX and even Facebook Market Place. Make sure you visit the seller in person and take a demo before closing the deal of the basic functions you would use. In my opinion, a minimum 50+50 Watts RMS at 8 ohms load should be ideal for the speakers you want to use.

Dear Community,
I am new to this forum but have been enjoying reading through different posts here. I am here to seek expert advice on how I can reuse my Sony speakers.
These were part of my 2014 Sony home audio system MHC-GZX330. I have been having some issues with this on and off but currently the issue is even though the main unit powers up there is absolutely NO SOUND I get from the speakers! I took the unit to Sony Service at Adyar and the engineer asked me to give up on the unit and move on. I couldn't understand and accept this vague advice as why the authorized service people they themselves should abandon me.(Note: the speakers are working when checked on a different unit).
Then I took the unit to Ritchie street (I live in Chennai) hoping to find someone who can rectify the issue. Many I bumped onto in Ritchie street directed me to Mr. Perumal. He checked the unit and initially did not promise to repair but I convinced him to take his time and look into it. After a week to ten days when I called him he asked me to take back the unit and he couldn't repair it. The issue might be in the motherboard he said.
So sorry for the long story...
Myself and my wife we miss the music a lot. Since then I have been wondering if there could be someone who can still repair the main unit! Any advice on this would be really helpful.
Also I have been reading and fancying about AVRs and a way to use my existing Sony speakers in one such unit.
We don't have a TV at home so I don't really need an AVR right away. Any affordable solution to just listen to some quality music by using the same Sony speakers would be great. Please advice me on some budget friendly solutions. Thank you in advance.
Yes that hurts. I had a Sony VX8 many years ago.

What is your source of music? If it is an Analog source like Vinyl, Cassette or cd then all you need is a Stereo amp. However, if you need streaming options, then you would need a Streamer and a DAC too to connect to a stereo amp. There are many options and it all depends on your budget. So if you could let us know your budget and your source of music, then members can give you more specific suggestions.

MaSh

Hi,
hey, did you find any amp fitting in your requirement? I am also in the same similar situation.

Generally such music systems have low impedances. Crossovers are also minimal like single capacitor or so. Loud sustained bass heavy music stresses the amplifier. Probably thats why we have many non functioning systems.

You have not specified the budget. If you listen to average volume level try Fosi, Aiyima amps with warranty. My guess is these class D amps will not have load dependancy as people talk about. (since music systems are low inpedance.) Also such music system dont have dome tweeter so probably less harsh ?
Regards

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back