HT Speaker Placement

lapstre

Hi,
I'm trying to get the right speaker placement for an elongated hall+kitchen(12ft * 26 ft). The core seating/listening area is only (12*12 ft). We ended up doing the wiring for the 4 speaker points 8 ft high instead of ear level during the construction(2 Front, 2 back), rookie mistake. The sofa placement is too close to the back wall considering the 12 ft space. Theory dictates rear speaker placement at ear level for best performance. I don't want any wires running around the house for the rear speakers, so wondering what my options are for the rear? Will placing speakers on the back wall, 8 ft high at a 45 deg angle downward work? To make things worse, I have to place the speakers above the lamps to avoid shadows below (and have speaker shadows above?).

My current setup is a Denon x1400h, Elac B6 and a pair of old Sony hifi speakers as temp Front heights. I'm looking to buy proper surrounds for the rear, and debating height speakers for the front. The front heights have generally not been effective, I'm wondering if I should consider them at all? Any recommendations on good rear surrounds? I've attached some photos below. :
Front Wall.jpg

Rear:
Back wall.jpg

Hi

You are in a challenging situation...thats for sure....

8 feet high is too much...max should have been 6 feet....

Anyways....its jugaad time and you have to get some good speakers which will serve within the existing setup and condition...

Front heights....all depends on what content plays....Dolby Digital Plus and other 7.1 content will make these speakers perform...not always...

Option 1: Get Surround Speakers which you can wall mount below the lamps inwards....this way you dont lose on surround effect...have it just right around 6 feet.....get the thinnest speaker wire transparent which you can paint with the same wall colour....you can also consider putting some wall paper for the back wall....design types...

Option 2: Get high sensitive speakers (90db and above) which can be wall mounted to stands which can angle downwards...45 degrees...even sideways...

Option 3: I have heard of wireless kits being available for rear speakers....not how it will work...or its actual functioning...worth a try....

Given the 8 feet height and the listening area....you will need to really crank up the volume...so bottom line you need to ensure high sensitivity speakers....these may cost a bit...given the circumstances....you need to review and decide what best works in your interest....

Audyssey calibrates the tone and levels of speakers....manually you may need to increase these levels by +1db each time and see what works well in terms of listening and performance playback...

Ensure the mini bookshelf speakers or rugged satellites are wall mountable with adjustable swivel stand....this will help you in angling and position focus the effects to the listening area.....something like a Disco club effect setup.....

Also...these speakers need to be 2 way type with minimum mid woofer speaker driver size of 4 inch.....this is to compensate the height placement and also the listening area to cover.....if smaller, you will really need to crank up the volume to hear the effects....given that the Denon 1400 is the next model after the entry one....you may possibly end up with jarring sound and it will sound unpleasant....

All depends on your decision and of course budget........brands to consider...

https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/opticon/opticon-lcr/

Taga, Boston, Polk (Signature series), Other wall mountable brands...all depends on performance ..overall appearance etc which suits you

Audition is key....so please decide basis that...better if you audition with similar AVR...you will know then how much the speaker really opens up at what volume....

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back