Ideal speaker stand height

Shivam

As far as I understand the speaker height should be so that the tweeter comes at the ear level.

Now what should for my speaker stands which I want to order with these conditions -
my ear comes to 48 Inch from ground, if I am relaxing. If I sit erect my ear reaches 50 inch. If I relax back or slump forward, it is 46 inch. If I sit on the carpet instead of the couch, it is further reduced. My wife (who also loves music) has different height.

I spend most of my time listening to music, either sitting on the carpet with the couch acting as my back rest or sitting on the couch relaxed back.

Considering that the tweeter is 16 inch from the base of the speaker, how high should I order the stand ?
How does one take into account the change of furniture ? What if I change my couch to another which will surely have a different height ?

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/18301-speaker-stands-what-you-should-look.html

46-12 = 30 (considering tweeter is 12 inches off the base )

sitting on the carpet requires low stands
but the lower you get to the floor the more reflections there are from the mid base

18 inch stands seem to work fine when you are on the floor

however frankly i advice you not to compromise and find a mid way solution
you will never hit the sweet spot in the compromise

for a stand that is built according to a 16inch couch
Most couches are 16inch where you sit
(mostly the stands turn out to be 25-26 inch tall - that way for an average indian)

at least get the sweet spot in one posistion
then if you sit down its a compromise
but at least you have the best picture when your up

Shivam, IMHO, i dont think you need to take this as an exact number. the ear level is actually to precisely manage the Time/Phase alignment and the dispersion which is very important in some speakers for critical listening..so you need to align it for 1 person and 1 seating chair in one position only for the perfect sweetspot..the other person is anyway going to be away from the sweetspot. but that does not mean either a loss of soundstage or of tonality. it would not be "optimised" thats all

of course this is my personal opinion as i am only it at the sweetspot for specific pieces of music or for my 1-off critical listening..mostly i am off it as you do not need the sweetspot to enjoy the music ;)

BTW having a nice computer chair with adjustable height is the only way to "customise the height" for anyone although the other parameters may be a bit way off

you can always have a customised stand with adjustable spikes and an adjustable base plate height (like in a cycle seat) . Sonus fabers stands are like that

Planning to go for a stand based on my 'relaxed' ear level. I'll discuss with magma about the details. Will post the photos once I get them.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back