Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras

miroflex

Many firms including Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony have brought out mirrorless interchangeable lens digital cameras like the Canon EOS M, Nikon J1, J3 etc.

These cameras combine the flexibility of SLRs (through lens interchangeability) without their bulk. Most, if not all of them have considerable video capabilities.

Many of them have built-in flash while a few, like the Canon EOS M have hotshoes for adding external flash units. These hotshoes can also be used for mounting auxiliary viewfinders to supplement the built-in viewing screens.

One important feature is the size of the sensor, which is bigger on the Canon EOS M than those on its competitors, giving a bigger image size and better resolution.

Lenses for these cameras are more compact than for their SLR counterparts. Adapters are available for mounting Canon EF and EF-S lenses on the EOS M. Similar adapters may be available for other camera systems.

My question to fellow members familiar with these camera systems is, how do they stack up in terms of features, ease of handling, facilities available for still and video photography, price etc.

Regards.

Last edited:
I own a Panasonic gh3. I use it professionally as well for shooting corporate films. I prefer it to the Canon 5d me 2 and Mk 3.

For video it is superb. Even for still u have no quibbles. My other professional friends pooh bah it... But then in india most people do not change as fast as people abroad.

The mirror less camera tech is the way for the future!

Thanks for the input Malvai.

I understand that Olympus lenses can also be used with Panasonic cameras? Is this correct? What are the focal lengths of lenses available for these cameras?

Yes one can use Olympus m43 lenses. Also there are other lens makers too. I live the Panny lenses. I have a Panny 14-35 lense (it is the equivalent of 28-70 in a regular dslr) and it goes down to 2.8. Very sharp lense.

I don't know. Yes, lenses are available for these new breed of cameras but are they available in the same quality and price? I don't think so. This is the future for sure, but this is also like buying a 4k TV. You really need to wait a long time to take full advantage.

But this is such a subjective thing. Like, is manual controls (lack of) and dedicated buttons a deal breaker? What about a good viewfinder (or lack of)? What about cheap prime lenses or cheap zoom lenses?

Having said that, I have had the hots for the Olympus omd for a long long time now. What a camera!

But if I had to buy a camera, I would probably buy a fixed lens version of the mirror less body. I don't think it is worth building a lens collection for this format, when the format itself is evolving so rapidly. Plus, the lens protruding out of such a small body destroys its pocket ability - which is its single biggest advantage to begin with.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back