Need advice on Tannoy Precision 6.2 / 6.4 (now withdrawn)

Vue2AStill

Gentlemen,

I have not been an active member on this forum. But remembered this forum, because of the genuine advice given to me by the members here several years ago. I bought Monitor Audio RS6 at that time and have enjoyed listening to them for more than 6 years. I thank the members of this forum for suggesting that model to me at that time. Now I am looking for a pair of floor standers that will take the listening pleasure several notches up, like recreating the artistes / sound stage in the room. I have my listening lounge fairly well treated with soft walls / curtains and furniture. I read that Precision 6.2 has excellent sound stage and transparency, and that the pair recreates artistes in the room. Is this true?

Tannoy has withdrawn the Precision Series speakers, yet 6.2 and 6.4 are available in India at a slightly discounted price. Several of you would probably know the very good reviews that Precision 6.2 has attracted. I have not listened to them and don't have an opportunity to listen to them in Chennai as nobody is carrying it. So I wanted to know if any of the forum members here are using Precision 6.2 or 6.4. If yes, how is the stereo reproduction in terms of realism and sound stage? Any response will be much appreciated.

Any suggestion for an amplifier that will go well with the Precision 6.2 is also welcome.

While I am not using the Precision 6.2/6.4, my setup consists of the Precision Centre(6C) and am using the Revolution XT6F floorstanders for L&R. Comparing the two(not an ideal comparison), the XT6F - Very dynamic speakers, excellent and open sound stage, amazingly brilliant imaging on axis - though offaxis imaging does take a beating(I reckon its a feature of dual concentric drivers). Midrange stands out with vocals taking precedence, though coherence throughout the frequency range will not leave you complaining. The 6C on the other hand I find a little laid back in comparison. Less dynamic than the XT6F. Though the attributes of the excellent midrange is similar to the XT6F. The highs on the 6C are a little warmer than the XT6F(even after break in - the XT6F is a little harsh to start with). As I mentioned at the onset, the comparison between the precision 6C and XT6F is far from ideal,, but mentioned it just to give you and insight into the sound you can expect. The imaging is where the Tannoys really stand out.
Its been over year that the Precision range has been withdrawn by Tannoy. If you do get a good deal on them, they would be an excellent buy.
As for amplifier, Since I am using it in a HT set up, I am using a Yamaha Pre/Pro and Power Amp. For stereo too the combination of the Yamahas with the Tannoys are excellent.
B.rgds
Zimbly

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back