Need help with Wide Angle Lens for Canon 500D

sanloyn

I did not find an "Camera & Lens" section, hence posting in the General Lounge.

Howdy FMs,
Need your expertise here.

I own a Canon EOS 500D along with the below lenses.
Canon EFS 18-55mm (IS)
Canon EFS 55-250mm (IS)

I think its time for me to add one more member to this family, yes an wide angle lens is in my mind.

I didn't really realize the need for an wide angle lens until I visited Leh Ladakh last year, hence had to depend on my iPhone 6s for panoramic shots.
Also during my recent visit to Ajanta and Ellora caves, I thought I miss one of the most important gear in my kit.

I did google a bit and found the below model fits my requirement, however I am noob here, hence I will require your help in this case to choose a right one if not the below.
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

I am also open to pre-owned stuff, anyone who owns one and willing to let it go, you may PM me.

Thanks in advance.

I think its time for me to add one more member to this family, yes an wide angle lens is in my mind.

Hi,

If you are open to looking at other lens manufacturers such as Tokina, Tamaron and Sigma, there are some excellent wide angle lens available there for less price than an equivalent Cannon. All of them are available with Cannon mount as an option

The Tokina 12-24 is an excellent one, with very good reviews. The sigma 12-24 also has good reviews.

For cheap thrills, and if you are open to a wide angle prime, check out the brand called 'Rokinon'. It is manufactured by the Korean company 'Samyang' and goes by that name in some markets. I have one, and it is an excellent value for money lens. However, do note that focus will be manual (though this is not a big deal for a wide angle - since you can focus to infinity for most situations)

Also during my recent visit to Ajanta and Ellora caves, I thought I miss one of the most important gear in my kit.

On a different note, if you are looking for something to work in low light, then wide angle lens are not recommended since they don't usually do well in low light. A fast prime such as a 50mm 1.8/1.4 will serve the purpose much better

Best,
apk

The 50 mm Canon prime is one of the greatest value for money lens I feel. Superb for portraits, but won't have as much wide angle coverage as a genuine wide angle.

Samyang is the hot new kid on the block, especially for Sony APS-C and full frame bodies.

Last edited:
If you want a general purpose prime lens, Canon 24mm f/2.8 is great. 50mm f/1.8 is also amazing especially for the bokeh portraits.

As for the wide angle lenses, I've owned Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and I loved it. If you want wider than 17 and want good quality snaps, it'll cost you around / above 25K. As you've not mentioned your budget, my general pick will be Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (slightly expensive but fast) or Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS (slow and inexpensive).

Thanks a lot folks.....must say I now know what should I be looking for.
I think will go for 10-18mm or a 11-16mm wide angle in the near future and later look at prime lens if need be.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back