Need recommendations for a mid-budget HT setup

Boombastic2K

Hi Folks,

Firstly, my heartfelt gratitude to all who have helped sustain this forum with your expert inputs on AV options. Must admit all your discussions helped me get a good insight and shortlist my HT buying options. Needless to say, 'You Guys Rock!!'

Now time to reveal my motive behind all these warm words - I plan to setup a compact HT system for my rectangular shaped living room with a floor area of 180sq ft. Room dimensions are 10ft(L) X 18ft(B) X 9.5ft(H).

My HT usage will be 60% Movies:20% Music:20% Sports+Gaming
Movie viewing: 60% Holly:40% Bolly+others on a 55" 3D LED TV

Though currently I'm inclined towards brighter sound (given the non-stop feed of electronic & remix stuff to my ear since the last decade), I wish to make a transition to the stress-relieving genre of soft soul music (Blame it on my better half:indifferent14:).

Given to understand from your discussions, I down selected the following HT combinations that suits my requirements and budget:
1) Yamaha RX-V575 AVR + Energy Take Classic 5.1 - Rs 70K
2) Denon AVR-1713 + Polk Audio TL1600 - Rs 63K
3) Denon AVR-1513 + Polk Audio RM6750 - Rs 50K

I have auditioned the Denons & Polks and kind of liked both combinations - Movie surround effect was more or less the same for both. The 1513/6750 combo was just a touch louder than the 1713/1600 but wasn't noisy like the Wharfedale MS-100 or the HTIBs that i intially auditioned. The 1713/1600 had an added bass depth as compared to the 1513/6750, especially felt while listening to a musical track.

Wasn't able to audition the 575/ETC yet. Eagerly waiting for it.

I also auditioned the Yamaha RX-V373+Wharfdale MS-100 and HK AVR-70+JBL Cinema 200.5, but found the Polks/Denon combo better.

Queries:
1) Are the above mentioned choices the right fit for my room size or do I need upgrade/downgrade further? (Add-on recommendations are welcome)
2) Is there a possibility of further negotiations on the listed price tags?

Lastly, please feel free to throw in your candid thoughts, wherever possible. I was able to reach this stage thanks to all your inputs and hence I'm sure your further guidance will help me make the 'right' choice.

Looking fwd to some interesting responses.:licklips:

Thanks bro, your offer is definitely very tempting but I need to stick with compact satellite speakers, as per my room interior plans.

7 days gone past since I 'officially' began my search for a good SQ based HT setup... and needless to say that I am totally confused! :sad:

Just had the opportunity to audition the Denon/Polk combos as per my wishlist so far. They sounded good but still I felt there was something lacking... not sure whether it was the bass punch or the surround impact, maybe both.

Didn't get time to visit the other HT dealers due to my hectic work regime. So I continued my online research (online i.e.) and found out very positive customer reviews for Energy Take Classic 5.1 as more so for Energy RC Micro 5.1. Amongst AVRs, the Yamaha RX-675 seems to be ruling the roost currently but I'm sure the 2013 Denon AVR-X2000 and Marantz NR-1604 are not too far behind.

As usual after finding out details about these models, an additional set of questions have clouded my mind:

1) Will there be enhanced SQ and output if I use these AVRs instead of the entry-level ones such as RX-375/475 or 1513/1713?
2) Will the power requirement, speaker sensitivity and impedence levels of the Polks or Energys be properly matched by these AVRs?
3) Is the investment on above stated higher-range AVRs worth it if I plan to stick to the Polk/Energy satellite speakers systems?
4) Which has better SQ & output - ETC 5.1 or ERM 5.1?

5) Finally, am I going in the right direction keeping in mind my room setup and my baseline HT requirements?

Guys, please help! Would like to take advantage of the ishopinternational/amazon today's offer, if I'm sure of which way to go.

Last edited:
Don't rely only on the reviews. Do NOT buy anything unless you hear them (especially speakers). The sound signature of the AVRs would almost be the same in the series e.g. 375/475/575. Power would differ. I think now Yamaha has discrete amps even in the 375 (check it out though).

Each of these AVR would have some incremental functionality over the lesser variant. Check out whether you want that functionality or not e.g. 575 is a 7.1 system as against 475 which is a 5.1. Amazon's product page gives a good breakup between the various models in tabular format.

You need not worry much about the impedance and speaker matching.

Both AVRs and speakers are long term investment, as well as upgradeable so plan accordingly. Look out for features that you plan to use in the future too in AVRs e.g. net radio, zone b, etc.

I recently had to decide between ETC 5.1 v/s ERC 5.1 (for a gift) and ended up choosing ERC 5.1 based on some quick googling and an excellent price :)

I'd recommend audition a few more speakers, depending on your budget. If your budget can be stretched, look at Def Tech and KEF too. Not that Energy is bad but it's better to check out everything on offer.

Thanks for the response, Kneo... It really helped to sort out my queries wrt AVRs.

Will definitely like to hear out each of them in person before I seal the deal. Will rush over to ProFX today evening to audition the KEFs. Any particular model of KEF that you would like to recommend?

About the others - ETC/ERC/Def Tech 600/800, could you recommend any dealers in Mumbai, whom I can approach for auditions?

ETC would be difficult to demo. For Deftech there's a store at Ghatkopar East (Sahakar Electronics) who offer demo. But call and ask whether they have the 1000 and 2000 series. I think they only had 800 when I went to their store to buy my 473

Boombastic2K, please post the details of your final purchase once made. I too am looking for mid budget speakers-preferably compact speakers to use with Yamaha AVR.

Thanks

After 50 days of hardcore research coupled with several auditions, I've ended up shortlisting the following mid-range AVRs. Would go for either of these based on the speaker set I select:
1) Denon 1513/1713 (good with Polk Audio RM6750/TL1600)
2) Onkyo TS-SR313 (good with Onkyo SKS-HT648 and Energy RC Micro)

Did not get the opportunity to review the Yamaha RX-V 373/375 with any of these speakers, as none of the vendors seem to endorse the 373/375 above the 1513/1713 and SR-313. Is the sound signature of the Denons and Onkyo AVR in this range seemingly better than the Yamahas?

Still not sure about which speaker to pick out of this list as the Onkyo was splendid for movie surround sound experience, while the Energy RC Micro and the Polks were better in musicality, as per my listening skills. Somewhere, I'm still not contented and wish to know if there are any other options within the budget of INR 50-60K that would be a better pick for sat HT setup.

Loved the Paradigm 100 CT as well but is currently out of my budget. Did not audition the DefPro 800/1000 as they are well out of my budget.

FMs, really looking fwd to your recommendations to make my life easier. Please tell me if there is any such HT set within this range that has the ability to provide the 'right' mix between movie & music experience.

ETC would be difficult to demo. For Deftech there's a store at Ghatkopar East (Sahakar Electronics) who offer demo. But call and ask whether they have the 1000 and 2000 series. I think they only had 800 when I went to their store to buy my 473

Special thanks to you, Kneo, for directing me to Sahakar Electronics. Must say the owners of this store are good with their AV solutioning knowledge and really help you to find your way through without trying to influence your taste. They also have a state-of-the-art studio setup to provide you with proper auditioning.

Strongly recommend Sahakar Electronics to all the HT setup aspirants in Mumbai.:)

Need suggestion of HT setup and budget is about 1 lakh.

Here is what is narrowed down.

DENON X 2000.

TSX 330b - FLOOR STANDER
150 W, 2-Way 3-Speaker Bass Reflex Floor Standers
33Hz-25kHz , 91dB , 8 ohms
(HxWxD) : 979x177.8x362mm , 14.9 Kgs
MRP : Rs. 30,000/pair

TSX 150C - CENTRE CHANNEL SPEAKER
150 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bass Reflex Centre
48Hz-25kHz , 91dB , 8 ohms
(HxWxD) : 195x610x350mm , 13.15 Kgs
MRP : Rs. 12,000 /unit

OWM 3 - SURROUND SPEAKER
100 W, 2-Way 2 Speaker Surrounds
Frequency Respone: 80Hz-25kHz.
Efficiency: 89db
Impendence: 8ohms
Dimensions: (HxWxD) 10"x7"x4 1/10"

PSW 110 - POWERED SUBWOOFER
200 W, 10 Bass Reflex Subwoofer
32Hz-225Hz , Speaker line level & LFE
(HxWxD) : 409x393x393mm

Please suggest as I am planning to audition the same. shortly.
Due to workschedule i am unable to visit Profx in bangalore to audition the same .

Other setup was
Denon X 2000 with Polk audio speakers.
Polk TSI- 300
Polk - cs 10
Polk-owm3
Polk PSW 110

My floor area for the HT setup is about 200sqrs 10X 20 feet room (hall)

Please let me know if there are any other good siggestions about the setuo under a lakh.
I auditioned the paradigm floor standing 5.1 with paradigm sub and surround with and old denon receiver and was blown away by the SQ.
Please suggest .

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back