Need suggestions on 40-42 inch TV

icubyx

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 40-42 inch LED TV (my first LED TV purchase) and am quite confused by the range that is available. Below are my buying criteria:
  • Budget: approx. 50K
  • Do not need 3d or Smart features
  • Good picture quality, decent sound.
  • Good connectivity options - HDMI + Audio Amplifier
  • Wifi is not a must if I can get it decently by adding a Wifi USB adapter
  • Low power usage preferable.

I would like your suggestions on brand and model.

One (probably stupid) question here - Does the durability of non-standard brands (Vu, BenQ, AOC) differ considerably from the standard brands (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Please check the other threads with the exact same requirements discussed rather than force people to retype again in a new thread.

PAnasonic 50a410d the best deal u can find at this price. If u are particular of 42 then get panasonic 52a410d. Lg has very bad black levels(I demoed lg entry level tv's yesterday, had another lg ips panel tv for the past 3 years- it's not working anymore)

Perhaps Alby is right if he has viewed this model. but going by the reviews i felt that this was good for the price with smart features thrown in. Some more reviews Reviews LG 42LB5820 42 inches LED TV Television - Latest Review of LG 42LB5820 42 inches LED TV, India | Flipkart.com.

Well anyway personally view the shortlisted models and take a call

Sorry missed to add a point, to me panasonic in the showroom I visited had better black levels. Also color tones were better. I was checking on LG initially for myself, as my experience with LG on customer relation in our area was quite nice, though the product failed multiple times due to power fluctuation despite using a stabiliser. But LED TV's unlike older CRT's are more susceptible to failure. For the 3 year old tv, lg gave 40 percent of the original price we paid. My cousin and two friends had sony which had panel failure in 2 years time. Also, another cousin had a panny where panel failed. ( all the above cases one or more disturbing lines on the panel) where our LG had no issues with panel. Only difference I could see was mine had IPS panel.

The panasonic I have mentioned above too has IPS panel, but at the showroom I noticed the current day LG had even worse black levels than mine on turning the backlight low even. I normally used to watch movies at night, where the black cinema scopes were seen grey. (Which is always annoying). Coming to the point, the panasonic has IPS panels too, but the overal picture quality and black level was better. Also, the price.. U can buy a good wifi bluray player and make the panny panel smart anyday.

The issue regarding panel failures has been discussed in detail in another thread and i find from there there is no hard and fast rules as to which type of LCD/LED panels fail more or which brand LCD/LED fails more. But one thing emerges that reliability of these panels, while being nowhere as compared to CRT tubes, donot even justify the heavy amount we invest in these TVs as these have the tendency to fail even after two /three years.

All said and done go by your eyes and the features u want in your target price and donot fail to buy additional warranty whichever u choose

Hi all,
Thanks for all your replies. In the meanwhile, I looked around a bit and found good reviews about Sony 42w700b. Going to showroom tomorrow to see how it looks alongwith Panasonic and LG .
Will post feedback once I'm back...

Hi,
Based on your feedback and some scouting around, I have narrowed down to these 3 models based on PQ, Price and 3 year warranty:
1. Sharp LC39LE155 - Rs.33000
2. Sharp LC40LE355M - Rs.43000
3. Toshiba L2400 - 42 inch - Rs.38000

However I am now confused. While 40LE355 is costlier, it has 3 HDMI ports, plus other options like Digital Audio output and 10+10W sound instead of 5+5W. Wished to know if paying Rs 10000 is justified for these extras.

Also Toshiba model above has only 1 HDMI port, but 10bit processing (8 bit for Sharp) and 200Hz Scan Rate instead of 50Hz for Sharp. Does it make a noticeable difference?

Awaiting your valuable inputs. Thanks

3 Hdmi ports can be purchased for 1300- . Toshiba seems to be the best going by specs. optical out is must for Sound bar upgrade though.

I use kinivo 301bn HDMI switcher* btw,.good product. On the down side needs a power adaptor.

Hi,
Based on your feedback and some scouting around, I have narrowed down to these 3 models based on PQ, Price and 3 year warranty:
1. Sharp LC39LE155 - Rs.33000
2. Sharp LC40LE355M - Rs.43000
3. Toshiba L2400 - 42 inch - Rs.38000

However I am now confused. While 40LE355 is costlier, it has 3 HDMI ports, plus other options like Digital Audio output and 10+10W sound instead of 5+5W. Wished to know if paying Rs 10000 is justified for these extras.

Also Toshiba model above has only 1 HDMI port, but 10bit processing (8 bit for Sharp) and 200Hz Scan Rate instead of 50Hz for Sharp. Does it make a noticeable difference?

Awaiting your valuable inputs. Thanks

I too have narrowed down Toshiba TV after reviewing several models. But in Bangalore, i am finidng it difficult to get Toshiba TVs in most of the shops. It is not even available in the online sites too.

You can check in Devi International near Madhavan Park Jayanagar. They deal with Toshiba TV's and very competitive in pricing. Just mention the lowest price what you are getting, they will match for it or even may be cheaper.

You can check in Devi International near Madhavan Park Jayanagar. They deal with Toshiba TV's and very competitive in pricing. Just mention the lowest price what you are getting, they will match for it or even may be cheaper.

Thank you Bharath. Today I noticed that this model appeared again in flipkart for 38K. And the good part is that they are giving good exchange price for the old tv than any other shops.

Hi All,
Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions. Just booked the Toshiba 40L2400 from Kohinoor (Thane) today for 36.5K under exchange of old CRT. Delivery is tomorrow. Have told the sales guy that I want a fresh piece.
Will soon post how it goes! Cheers!

Got the set on Monday. Looked for backlight bleed - no issues, fresh piece - no issues. PQ is great and watching 1080p movies is a pleasure. The sound could be a bit louder though...

Hi All,
Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions. Just booked the Toshiba 40L2400 from Kohinoor (Thane) today for 36.5K under exchange of old CRT. Delivery is tomorrow. Have told the sales guy that I want a fresh piece.
Will soon post how it goes! Cheers!
Toshiba 40L2400 does not have Audio Out. I've been wondering about how to get audio to a speaker system from the TV.

Do you know if I can get TataSky HD to give video to the TV over HDMI and audio to speakers over RCA?

Toshiba 40L2400 does not have Audio Out. I've been wondering about how to get audio to a speaker system from the TV.

Do you know if I can get TataSky HD to give video to the TV over HDMI and audio to speakers over RCA?

If you have an AVR, connect it like this :

Tata sky---> AVR---->TV

If you dont have AVR ,and if you don't have optical out, then look out for headphone out, you should be able to connect a 2.1 speaker set . If no optical out/No headphone out, then I think there are not much options, as I dont think there are speakers with HDMI input port and then HDMI out to connect to TV TV.

One more option is, connecting speakers to TATA SKY STB directly, through audio out port. My STB has hdmi and other 3 RCA ports, so one is for audio, and you can connect speakers through that! Hope this helps.

I was also thinking of the second option. Connecting the TataSky STB RCA out to stereo speakers.

But I'm not sure if the STB will provide output over HDMI (to the TV) and RCA (to speakers) simultaneously.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back