New AVR for ATMOS setup

visakkus

This Siva from Hyderabad.
We just moved into our new home and carefully built a Home Theatre room, but when I hooked up our old Denon 1910, it won't emit sound.
Doctors declared HDMI board as dead.
Now looking for new AVR, at the same time want to upgrade Dolby ATMOS.
Here are speakers
Polk Audio Monitor 60 as fronts(L+R)
Polk Audio CS10 - center
Polk Audio R300 for rear.
PA-120 active subwoofer.

Would like to retain the 5.1 speakers and would like to add some Height speakers(5.1.2)(may add 5.1.4 in future), any suggestion please.

basically considering the following from Grey market
Denon-X1300w- 33K
Marantz - SR5010-45K
Pioneer - vsx932 - 35K
Pioner vsx1131 - 43K (this cannot do 5.1.4, is 8k for extra HDMI and 30W/per channel justifiable, any speakers can do only 100W)

This is for dedicated Home theatre room, acoustically insulated walls and sound insulated room and for 100% movie watching only on 9x5 screen and 720p projector.

Would like to retain the 5.1 speakers and would like to add some Height speakers(5.1.2)(may add 5.1.4 in future), any suggestion please.
All the receivers you listed are 7.1 channels, so they can do 5.1.2 but none of them can do 5.1.4 (would require a 9.1 channel receiver).

Of the four receivers, the Denon and Marantz appear to have the most up to date features and better room correction than the Pioneer models. The Denon has the edge because its Audyssey app allows you to dial in the room correction to your personal tastes. I would get the Denon (ironically, the lowest priced of the 4 receivers).

This Siva from Hyderabad.
We just moved into our new home and carefully built a Home Theatre room, but when I hooked up our old Denon 1910, it won't emit sound.
Doctors declared HDMI board as dead.
Now looking for new AVR, at the same time want to upgrade Dolby ATMOS.
Here are speakers
Polk Audio Monitor 60 as fronts(L+R)
Polk Audio CS10 - center
Polk Audio R300 for rear.
PA-120 active subwoofer.

basically considering the following from Grey market
Denon-X1300w- 33K
Marantz - SR5010-45K
Pioneer - vsx932 - 35K
Pioner vsx1131 - 43K (this cannot do 5.1.4, is 8k for extra HDMI and 30W/per channel justifiable, any speakers can do only 100W)

This is for dedicated Home theatre room, acoustically insulated walls and sound insulated room and for 100% movie watching only on 9x5 screen and 720p projector.

Where did you get these qoutes Sir? Is it with Indian Warranty and bill? They are 30% to 40% cheaper than what i have got in Bangalore!

Thanks for the inputs

All the receivers you listed are 7.1 channels, so they can do 5.1.2 but none of them can do 5.1.4 (would require a 9.1 channel receiver).
Yes, all selected models are 7.1 only,
the question about 5.1.4 is for satelite speakers for future upgrade.
Hope you are aware that 7.1 AVR can be designed like 5.1.2+2 (Two Right Height speakers + Two Left speakers can be connected in series)
(I am referring to Pioneer 1131 setup guide Page No:6
http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/s...eceiver/VSX-1131/VSX-1131_basic_manual_en.pdf)

Of the four receivers, the Denon and Marantz appear to have the most up to date features and better room correction than the Pioneer models. The Denon has the edge because its Audyssey app allows you to dial in the room correction to your personal tastes. I would get the Denon (ironically, the lowest priced of the 4 receivers).

My speakers Polk Audio M60 are rated 8ohms/90db ( I don't know what it means, but was told that it can handle upto 200Watts).
Here Denon can pump upto 80watts/8ohms
where as 931 can pump 130w@6ohms(~=95w@8ohms)
1131 can pump 165w@6ohms(~=125w@8ohms)
Correct me if I am wrong with my calculations.
Though Denon is good, I am little skeptical about Denon, because my current 1910 HDMI went kaput and repair person told that they are receiving several complaints of HDMI board only with Denon. Same opinion expressed by various forums.
Hence the slight inclination towards Pioneer. On paper specs look good, so trying to take feedback/help from fellow users

Where did you get these qoutes Sir? Is it with Indian Warranty and bill? They are 30% to 40% cheaper than what i have got in Bangalore!

As per forum rules, I do not want to discuss about grey market here. Since I am willing to risk, quoted prices from OLX, chennai, you explore at your own risk.

I am using Pioneer VSX 1131. It can be configured for 5.1.2 (Zone A) + 2 (Zone B) but it comes with certain limitations..All speakers (Zone A AND Zone B) can not be output simultaneously. You can have 5.1.2 at the max..rest 2 speakers you can add as front heights or wireless/wired speakers in the other room (Zone B).

By & large, quite satisfied with the AVR's Movie performance (for which it was intended)..Powerful AVR!!

I am using Pioneer VSX 1131. It can be configured for 5.1.2 (Zone A) + 2 (Zone B) but it comes with certain limitations..All speakers (Zone A AND Zone B) can not be output simultaneously. You can have 5.1.2 at the max..rest 2 speakers you can add as front heights or wireless/wired speakers in the other room (Zone B).

By & large, quite satisfied with the AVR's Movie performance (for which it was intended)..Powerful AVR!!

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to use 100% for movies, I would never use Zone B (we never wired for it).
Did you ever considered Denon or marantz, just wondering how did you arrive at 1131 in the similar price range.

Did not audition Marantz. Forum members suggested Marantz AVRs are more inclined towards Music while my preferences were for the Movies.

Did audition Denon X2300. Found Pioneer VSX 1131 to be brighter in sound signature and was suiting my preferences + same DAC was used as highly successful Onkyo 2015/16 models including the 657.

Hope you are aware that 7.1 AVR can be designed like 5.1.2+2 (Two Right Height speakers + Two Left speakers can be connected in series)
(I am referring to Pioneer 1131 setup guide Page No:6
http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/s...eceiver/VSX-1131/VSX-1131_basic_manual_en.pdf)
There is zero mention of connecting speakers in series on page 6 of the manual you linked to. It lists three possible height speaker locations and explicitly says: Choose one of the following.

Hi visakkus...

Do not judge a avr by its qouted power. All manufacturers mention the wrong power ratings here. Almost all of those Amos pump around 50 watts with all channels driven.

If your Polk's sensitivity is qouted at 90db. It means an power input of 1 watt, would generate a sound output of 90db at 1 meter listening distance.. And every doubling of power will increase the sound output by 3 db. So for your Polk's the wattage requirement is :

1w -90db
2w-93db
4w-96db
8w-99db
16w-102db
32w-105db

If you listen to 105db for one hour, rest assured that is the last thing you will ever hear for the rest of your life :)

So considering that you don't need anything more than 32w, and all Amps have that power here. The defining part of a avr is its room correction. And especially its sub bass correction. And audyssey really has a edge here.

So better to audition some amps and then take the plunge. All amps don't have the same tonality. Yamaha's are punchy and best suited to movies. They are famous for their trade mark Yamaha sound, which is large scale impact. The Pioneer's are slightly on the brighter side. The marantz and denon are in the warmer side. None of them are perfect for everyone. Each per his own taste . So please auditiin without worrying about wattage.

There is zero mention of connecting speakers in series on page 6 of the manual you linked to. It lists three possible height speaker locations and explicitly says: Choose one of the following.
Thanks for correcting my understanding.
But is such setup possible..?. i.e 5.1.2 AVR, and connect 5.1.(2+2 in series/parallel) speakers that two speakers on right(left) side produce same channel, , does it make sense..?

Hi viskauss...

No we cannot connect any speakers in series. Every speaker will have to be indipendently and directly wired to the respective speaker outputs of the avr. You might be getting confused with the high pass filter of the subwoofers.

hi, VSX 932 is 7.2, i think.... and the latest one.
and for 35k..its bargain...

i was using polk 330tx with same centre u mentioned... im impressed with cente cs10.. also its shape allow you to place it acc to u listening position.

but I would strongly suggest you to upgrade ur projector to 1080p, if u want dedicated room theatre..

Im using Optoma hd26 , with 130" electric screen, and watching 720p movies on such big screen looks like i viewing pirated cd on tv.. :(

hi, VSX 932 is 7.2, i think.... and the latest one.
and for 35k..its bargain...

i was using polk 330tx with same centre u mentioned... im impressed with cente cs10.. also its shape allow you to place it acc to u listening position.

I went to Chennai this Monday and could not finish my purchase, as the has exhausted. Checked with Pioneer Authorised Dealer, as per the after GST they did not receive any shipment, as goods waiting in customs area for clearance.
Need a week to get clarity on stock(it seems the same case with grey market also).

but I would strongly suggest you to upgrade ur projector to 1080p, if u want dedicated room theatre..

Im using Optoma hd26 , with 130" electric screen, and watching 720p movies on such big screen looks like i viewing pirated cd on tv.. :(

I agree, 720p is a temporary arrangement, planning to get proper 1080P projector during my trip to Europe (Prices/choices in India are unbearable).(also projector is easier to carry)
This is not the case with AVRs.

Thanks for the caution

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back