New System Set up 1 lac approx

Kalyana Kumar

Hi, Im new to the Hi-Fi world and looking to build an excellent sounding Music Equipment Package. Starting with an integrated amplifier, a cd player, an excellent set of speakers to compliment. My music is mostly western - the 80s, Rock, Pop, Jazz & Rock Fusion, Kenny G, Yanni, Indian Film music from the 50s to date and also some techno. Im a sucker for detail and like music to sound like im there in the midst of it. My budget for the same is 1 lac or less. Could the forum members throw some light on the same?

The set up will be in my living room which is 20x10. At the farthest point of the room, when seated I would be 19 feet approx away from the system.Behind me is a large window with glass and metallic but thin mosquito net. Usually covered by a large screen (8x8). I usually close the balcony door (next to the window) when i play loud music in the night. Where the system would sit is a huge wall and the sound is released to the other end which is largely open. My priority is clarity of sound and rich reproduction of music. I would also like good bass though not too much of it. My plan is also to get good quality cables to connect the speakers to achieve this end and make it as good as I can. So i would also like to know how much (length of the cables) to buy.

Last edited:
The room dimensions suggest a long, narrow space. Not very different from mine (14'x25'). I would not suggest sitting that far away from the system. But if you must, floor standing speakers might be better. If you can manage sitting closer (mid way), you can even go for a larger stand mount speaker. You might find a higher quality product for the same money spent. You will also avoid the reflections from the back window to some extent. Lastly but not the last, detail, separation and soundstage will also be better in that arrangement. I noticed that even with the highly detailed Dali ikon 6 in my room, sitting far away caused loss of details and mudding of soundstage by the time music reached your ears. There is proven benefit of keeping the triangle rule maintained. Also, since front wall is only 10 ft, your speakers will be about 8 ft apart if you keep them a minimum of 1ft away from side walls.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back