1 Optical port
1 Coaxial port
1 Audio IN L/R
1 USB port

Samsung LCD TV :
4 HDMI ports i.e (HDMI 1(DV),2,3,4
1 Optical port
1 Audi out (R/L) and component IN etc.- but no HDMI ARC

Recently, I have installed Jio Air fiber at my home. After the installation, I came to know that Jio STB does not have Audio Out Port.

Present connection set up: Jio STB to TV HDMI 1, TV Optical to Home Theater optical port - with this set up I get only 2.1 channel sound. As seen in some YouTube reviews, I have connected another HDMI cable from TV to Home Theater HDMI ARC port. With this set up, I get 3.1 channel sound, i.e. Surround Left and Right, Center and SW. Front Left and Right speakers not functioning.

Samsung owner's manual says: ...'' If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the Digital Audio out (optical) jack on the DVD directly to the Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV''.

What I understood from above is that, the optical connection has to be direct from STB to Home theater and then HDMI connection from Home theater to TV (this set up was done when I was using TATA PLAY connection, and I was getting 5.1 channel surround sound.

Checked with Jio support team, but they are helpless and only way they suggested was to connect speakers via Bluetooth, for which my home theater does not have the Bluetooth feature.

I have been trying to get information about HDMI Audio adapter / converter/ extractor etc. but not getting enough ideas whether such connection will be helpful in this case or not. I am also trying to find if buying the Mi Box and connect same to home theater (Mi Box has got Audio out port and if connected direct to Home theater then it may get 5.1 audio) and then use Jio only for Wi-Fi until its subscription expires.

Any experts here can help out to find a way for me to get my 5.1 channel working in these circumstances?

Thanks in advance.
Nair

Similar problem in a Samsung tv when we connected motorola sound bar. The tv stopped showing Audio out option through optical and we have to stick to stereo converted to 5.1 through the sound bar. I think old Samsung TVs are not supporting 5.1 anymore

My Home theater model: Sony Blu-ray Disc/DV Home Theatre system BDV-E870
My TV : Samsung LCD, model: 46C550

Ports available in both units:

Home Theater:
1 HDMI OUT (ARC)
1 Optical port
1 Coaxial port
1 Audio IN L/R
1 USB port

Samsung LCD TV :
4 HDMI ports i.e (HDMI 1(DV),2,3,4
1 Optical port
1 Audi out (R/L) and component IN etc.- but no HDMI ARC

Recently, I have installed Jio Air fiber at my home. After the installation, I came to know that Jio STB does not have Audio Out Port.

Present connection set up: Jio STB to TV HDMI 1, TV Optical to Home Theater optical port - with this set up I get only 2.1 channel sound. As seen in some YouTube reviews, I have connected another HDMI cable from TV to Home Theater HDMI ARC port. With this set up, I get 3.1 channel sound, i.e. Surround Left and Right, Center and SW. Front Left and Right speakers not functioning.

Samsung owner's manual says: ...'' If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the Digital Audio out (optical) jack on the DVD directly to the Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV''.

What I understood from above is that, the optical connection has to be direct from STB to Home theater and then HDMI connection from Home theater to TV (this set up was done when I was using TATA PLAY connection, and I was getting 5.1 channel surround sound.

Checked with Jio support team, but they are helpless and only way they suggested was to connect speakers via Bluetooth, for which my home theater does not have the Bluetooth feature.

I have been trying to get information about HDMI Audio adapter / converter/ extractor etc. but not getting enough ideas whether such connection will be helpful in this case or not. I am also trying to find if buying the Mi Box and connect same to home theater (Mi Box has got Audio out port and if connected direct to Home theater then it may get 5.1 audio) and then use Jio only for Wi-Fi until its subscription expires.

Any experts here can help out to find a way for me to get my 5.1 channel working in these circumstances?

Thanks in advance.
Nair

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

Suggest you connect Optical out from TV to the Home Theatre Optical in. Check the TV settings to ensure that Optical OUT port indeed sends 5.1 signal to the Home Theatre. Thats the best immediate solution in my humble opinion and experience.

Most of the STBs dont actually provide a true 5.1 or even 7.1 signal. Also not all channels output true surround. Most content is Dolby 2.0 and rarely 2.1 or 3.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 or Atmos.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

If the post / response to you helps in any way, use the 'Like' button which is located at the right hand bottom of the post. This helps to build up positive reputation for the FM (Fellow Member).

All the best!

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

Suggest you connect Optical out from TV to the Home Theatre Optical in. Check the TV settings to ensure that Optical OUT port indeed sends 5.1 signal to the Home Theatre. Thats the best immediate solution in my humble opinion and experience.

Most of the STBs dont actually provide a true 5.1 or even 7.1 signal. Also not all channels output true surround. Most content is Dolby 2.0 and rarely 2.1 or 3.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 or Atmos.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

If the post / response to you helps in any way, use the 'Like' button which is located at the right hand bottom of the post. This helps to build up positive reputation for the FM (Fellow Member).

All the best!

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's my present set up, i.e. Optical out from TV to Home Theater, but I was getting 2.1 channel only. Since my TV does not have an HDMI ARC port, I have also connected one HDMI cable from TV to HDMI ARC port of Home theater. With this set-up and changing the TV setting to PCM, I am getting 3.1 with surround sound.

TV user manual clearly says that 5.1 audio works only when connection comes directly from STB Audio out to Home theater, either by Optical cable or other audio cables. And the setting in Home theater has to be 'Audio'. (now the Home theater setting is in 'TV' and if changes to 'Audio', then sound at all).

I have sent many email messages to Jio support team, Jio Air fiber support team, Jio Appellate -Kerala etc. and all of them advises connecting Home theater via Bluetooth. This clearly points out that Jio STB has no 5.1 audio connectivity feature.

So it is for sure that Jio STB which does not have an audio out port cannot be connected directly to any home theater unless it has Bluetooth connectivity.

For last one month or so, I have been searching for a solution how to connect 5.1 channel audio and lately received some comments from couple of YouTube vloggers advising to try buying a Mi Box and connect to HT using its Audio out port.

Whilst I am still waiting for a proper guidance how to solve my problem i.e. setting up my connection to 5.1 audio without spending big money, I happened to talk to field engineer who has been the installer for Airtel and Tata Play DTH. (He was the one installed Airtel DTH first and then later Tata Play HD at my home, prior to Jio Air Fiber).

He also in the opinion that Jio STB cannot be connected to 5.1 channel audio unless I buy a new Soundbar with Bluetooth feature and then connect Jio STB via Bluetooth.

Alternatively, his suggestion is (not 100pct sure) to buy an HDMI Audio Adapter and then try to connect Jio STB to Adapter via HDMI cable and then Adapter to Home theater and TV with HDMI or Optical cable.

Another option is to go for Mi Box which has Audio out port and connect to my existing system, but still not sure if I can get Dolby Digital since my TV does not support this feature.

I am confused whether to buy above products (a good HDMI adapter as well as Mi Box will cost around Rs.3500 if not more), as still I am not confident if any one of above option will work in my system?

Any suggestions, guys?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back