Onkyo TX NR727/4 ohm speaker placement suggestions

kvm

Hello Everyone

Many thanks to all of you - this forum has been extremely helpful so far in my 'audio-quest'

Now, I am setting up a dedicated HT room on my terrace (inspired by many similar setups here) with dimensions 12*18. Have purchased M&K 750 series 5.1 speakers (4ohm) and planning to purchase Onkyo TX NR 727 to drive the same. I have two options for the receiver placement with varying distances for speakers. I am not sure which to go for to get optimum surround reproduction. Onkyo manual talks of speaker distances to the listener but not between speaker & receiver! I have inwall piping for the speaker wires already laid.

Option1: to place electronics in an adjacent room to HT room

• F/C/R/Sub speakers will be around 40ft away from the receiver
  • SR/SL will be around 20ft away from the receiver
  • HDMI from receiver to projector (acer 5370 - just ordered yesterday from amazon) would be around 12ft away from receiver

Option2: to place electronics in the same HT room
  • F/C/R/Sub will be around 5-8 ft from the receiver
  • SR/SR will be around 40ft from the receiver
  • HDMI from receiver to projector around 25ft

My Oppo 105/VD2H are in Ground floor living room serving regular stereo/tv watching purposes. I had originally planned to run HDMI cable from GF Oppo to HT room in second floor (about 25ft) receiver (as in option1) but the speaker distances are higher. Under option2 my Oppo to receiver HDMI distance would increase by another 20-25 ft and am afraid of signal degradation. My plan was to use Oppo for both stereo and 3D playback while I have a stock BR player connected closer to receiver for regular movies.

Would appreciate if the esteemed forum members help me clear this dilemma and if any of you are running speaker/HDMI cables that long w/o any signal degradation. Also pl let me know if 14AWG wire is sufficient for my requirement or should I go any lower?

Thanks and appreciate your inputs,

regards

surprised.. 31 views and no input yet! :sad:

Eager to know if anyone else faced such a requirement for longer cables and the optimum solution they implemented..

Cool guys. Looks like none here faced a situation I related :)

I googled and found lots of related queries and info on external forums. Below is one sample chart (from forum.Blu-ray.com) which might be useful for others as well.

SpeakerWire.jpg

I went ahead with Option2 and am able to successfully drive my speakers using a 14AWG cable. My final HDMI 1.4 cable from Oppo to AVR came to 20mts which is beautifully delivering content.

Just thought of logically closing this thread so anyone else may find it useful.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back