Pioneer A-8 Amplifier : Worth the upgrade ??

kartick

Hi Everyone,

I love vintage amplifiers. It has just been 3-4 months that I decided to get into vinyls and hence began my hunt for an integrated amplifier. I was able to trace an absolute mint condition JVC JA-S31 stereo integrated amplifier. I pair this with my Denon DP-37f and with my PC (fitted with an Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard).

A few days back I was able to find out a Rotel RA - 312 in a market in Kolkata.

Now I have found out a Pioneer A-8 Amplifier. Although I have tried to lookout for reviews on the same on the internet but not much information is available. The amp is in good condition and looks impressive.

I would like to ask you guys if buying that amp would be a real upgrade from the amplifiers I already have. And also what should be a fair price for the same ?

Hi Guys.... any inputs on this would be deeply appreciated. I have a deal offered to me for this amplifier, am afraid if I am not able to make use of it I might end up losing it.

Hi Everyone,

I love vintage amplifiers. It has just been 3-4 months that I decided to get into vinyls and hence began my hunt for an integrated amplifier. I was able to trace an absolute mint condition JVC JA-S31 stereo integrated amplifier. I pair this with my Denon DP-37f and with my PC (fitted with an Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard).

A few days back I was able to find out a Rotel RA - 312 in a market in Kolkata.

Now I have found out a Pioneer A-8 Amplifier. Although I have tried to lookout for reviews on the same on the internet but not much information is available. The amp is in good condition and looks impressive.

I would like to ask you guys if buying that amp would be a real upgrade from the amplifiers I already have. And also what should be a fair price for the same ?

Hi Kartick,

It is good to hear that you are delving into vinyl and are experimenting with various equipment, particularly amplifiers. I do not have any particular experience of the A-8 but the Pioneer A300 and A400 were highly rated and well regarded.

If you have access to the amplifier it would be best to listen to a few vinyl records through it. This will be the best way of judging its sound qualities and capabilities.

As regards price, have you been quoted an amount? If not, you could make an offer of Rs. 8,000. If you like the amplifier very much, you could go up to Rs. 10,000.

I hope my ideas are of some help to you.

Regards and best of luck!

Last edited:
Kartick,

None of us will be able to tell you whether to buy this amp. If you have access to it, listen to it and see whether you are getting significantly better sound quality and/or more power output than your existing amps. Since you are listening to vinyl, the quality of the MM/MC phono inputs should be a major factor in your decision. Finally it's up to you and your purse. If you have the money and space for it and like it, go ahead.

All the best.

Kartick,

None of us will be able to tell you whether to buy this amp. If you have access to it, listen to it and see whether you are getting significantly better sound quality and/or more power output than your existing amps. Since you are listening to vinyl, the quality of the MM/MC phono inputs should be a major factor in your decision. Finally it's up to you and your purse. If you have the money and space for it and like it, go ahead.

All the best.

Hi,

I know what you are saying here. But my confusion is primarily because the place where the amplifier is available is not where I can connect it to my turntable and audition it. The max that I can try is my ipod on it. Since I already have 2 amplifiers now, both of which are more or less of the same category (wattage/circa/etc), I am thinking so much about it. Otherwise I would have already picked the A-8. Its phono section is definitely advanced than my existing amps. So it's just a matter of making up my mind .... Tough decisions of life I tell you ... :confused:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back