Please help me choose between the speakers Tannoy's Precision 6.4 or 6.2

rav_mk1

Hello FMs'
Hope the music's keeping your spirits high...
I've been having this debate with my self for some days now.. well actually after auditioning the Tannoy Precision 6.4s, Sound was hauntingly beautiful.. just like Sid's place 'Sound by Design' (Cheers Sid).. Now the dilemma is what to choose the 6.2 or the 6.4. 6.2 has one dual concentric driver for mid bass and highs and a bass driver for the lower frequencies the 6.4 are the same design with two additional bass radiators which give a little more body to the lows and are ideal for all genres of music. that being said the space with me (though rented today) is a constraint.. the 6.4s are big boys and need space to breathe.. plus the sonic character of both is the same.. On the net some people have rated the 6.2s ahead of of the 6.4s so I call upon you folks to help me see some light.. do I go big for future proofing of remain within my present and do with the smaller sibling.. help please

Cheers
Ravi

If you are decided on either of them why don't you check for the possibility of a home demo.
Beautiful finish.

+1. I am sure, since you will buy either one, they will agree to a home demo.
Nothing like a home demo.

If you are decided on either of them why don't you check for the possibility of a home demo.
Beautiful finish.

Hi,
The one who would agree for Home demo doesn't have the 6.2 and the other guy won't comply.. so a bit of a fix..

Cheers
Ravi

can you put up some pics of the room where you want to place them ?

what you need for a good sound is room compatibility with your speakers.

let us know the dimensions of your room.

the tannoy website mentions the 6.2 is suited for medium sized rooms.. i would assume upto 250 - 300 sq ft and the 6.4 for larger rooms.

mpw

Sir, if you plan to have a room larger than 300 sq feet for placing your speakers, then go for the 6.4 else 6.2 should be more than enough if you think it goes loud enough....

Thankyou FMs but that exactly is my dilemma the place today is rented and temporary so if I buy something with this kind of investment and tomorrow move to some place bigger... !!
@MPW below are the pics of my current apartment.

Last edited:
looking at your earlier posts on the same topic.. i would like to think you need to experiment with the speaker cables and interconnects first as you have mentioned about "fatigue" over longer listening sessions ( other than that u seem Ok with the C605 )

a. generally - most audio rooms are on the smaller side of life unless you plan to move into a very large bungalow etc..

b. It seems to me your room needs a bit of work in terms of carpeting / furnishing etc.. and positioning your current speakers itself. Please do request a few delhi FM's to come over and help you in this regard or please experiment with positioning ( cardas etc.. ) or maybe get the dealer home.

c. Tell the dealer unless they give a home demo - you may look for other brands. If SBD is offering a home audition of the 6.4 - take the offer and get it home and check out vis a vis your current speakers.

If, after correct placement of the 6.4 speakers, you find the sound not to your liking etc.. then 6.2 is the answer for you.

If you dont have A-B comparo in your room... then the next best thing will be to do an elimination.

Somehow speakers always sound good at a dealers and there is always work to be done at home once you get them. I am not sure if it will be a plug and play direct.

I see no point in paying so much money and getting speakers home on a blind leap if the very reason for a change of speaker is not met.

these are only thoughts... you may ignore the points which are ir-relevant to you as you have experienced the speakers at SBD and also your current speakers.

regards
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I agree with you MPW and after your suggestion I started using balanced interconnects and the speaker cables are decent 12AWG copper ones roughly around INR 900/mtr.. anything above that is a waste of money IMO.. but Im not discussing that as far as furnishing is considered I have done a few things like putting a carpet some heavy drapes and also considering diffusers.. I guess in my smallish room 6.2 would be the right answer.. I have got one of my friends to bring his Klipsch RF 83's over just to check the limits of my listening area.. :)

Cheers
Ravi

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back