Power Amp for Focal Aria 926 Home Theatre Setup?

tpoddar

Hello all,
I am currently running the following 5.1.2 setup in a 16x16x10 dedicated home theatre room mostly used for 2 channel listening: -
AVR -Marantz Cinema 40 (Rated at 125 watts per channel - 2ch driven at 8ohms)
Subwoofer - SVS SB 1000 PRO X2
LR - Focal Aria 926 (91db sensitivity/8ohm nominal impedance/2.9 ohm minimum impedance)
Center - Focal Aria CC900
Surrounds - Focal Aria SR900
Mid Heights - Focal ICW 300/500

My main listening position is 13ft away from the speaker and I like listening to loud music. I am wondering if I should get a power amp for the front LR speakers to improve my 2 channel listening experience? Would it give a tangible improvement other than loudness? If yes, which one should I go for?

Hello all,
I am currently running the following 5.1.2 setup in a 16x16x10 dedicated home theatre room mostly used for 2 channel listening: -
LR - Focal Aria 926 (91db sensitivity/8ohm nominal impedance/2.9 ohm minimum impedance)

My main listening position is 13ft away from the speaker and I like listening to loud music. I am wondering if I should get a power amp for the front LR speakers to improve my 2 channel listening experience? Would it give a tangible improvement other than loudness? If yes, which one should I go for?
external power amp would benefit you for loud listening and would help with good dynamics without distortion. apart from that, there will be not much difference in frequency response or tone with a proper amplifier. you can go for emotiva or tonewinner amplifiers.

Hello all,

It's a big rabbit hole you are seeking advise against. My 2 bits please
i) Focal Aria 926 dip quiet low ( about 2.8 ohms per some measurements), so with a good power amp the bass will open up and this will also improve your overall experience for 2 ch listening & for movies too.

ii) It's always been debated for using AVR vs a good stereo amp for 2 channel listening. I belong to the later camp & have noticed tremendous reveals by going in way of having a separate stereo chain. You can start with adding a really good power amp using the AVR precut, then borrow and try playing around with preamps & good sources , the upside of this is huge & the downside is huge dents in the pocket.

It's a very good chain you have there, IMO Aria 926 are great speakers for HT & stereo alike , they deserve the separate treatment for both use cases.

It's a big rabbit hole you are seeking advise against. My 2 bits please
i) Focal Aria 926 dip quiet low ( about 2.8 ohms per some measurements), so with a good power amp the bass will open up and this will also improve your overall experience for 2 ch listening & for movies too.

ii) It's always been debated for using AVR vs a good stereo amp for 2 channel listening. I belong to the later camp & have noticed tremendous reveals by going in way of having a separate stereo chain. You can start with adding a really good power amp using the AVR precut, then borrow and try playing around with preamps & good sources , the upside of this is huge & the downside is huge dents in the pocket.

It's a very good chain you have there, IMO Aria 926 are great speakers for HT & stereo alike , they deserve the separate treatment for both use cases.
Thanks for the response!
Is there a way to demo a power amplifier as a rental or something? I don't mind paying for a power amp but I would like to test it out before purchase. Whats a good value for money power amp that can handle the occasional 2.8ohm load? Separates isn't a route suited for me personally so I'm trying to maximise my setup on an AVR only.

Thanks for the response!
Is there a way to demo a power amplifier as a rental or something? I don't mind paying for a power amp but I would like to test it out before purchase. Whats a good value for money power amp that can handle the occasional 2.8ohm load? Separates isn't a route suited for me personally so I'm trying to maximise my setup on an AVR only.

I am not sure if any one provides a rental or a home demo especially in Jaipur. You can reach out to the dealership of the brand and see if it's possible to get one. Focus on amps which can go down to 2 ohms & about atleast 120/150wpc & 8 ohms for Aria 926, seen them do well on such amps.

Hello all,

Anthem Power Amplifiers will dip to 2 ohms.
On the cheaper side, try Crown D class amps. Some like them, some don't.

You say both home theatre and music, also loud music. The following is my opinion, based only on the basis that you mention loud music. If this is for theater I don't have ( nor want to) add anything.

- Music is best done on a 2.x system in my opinion
- An amplifier will help and is the "natural" way to listen to music
- I consider it sacrilege to listen to music on an AVR, unless by some miracle it sounds brilliant, which I have never seen
- I recommend getting commercial speakers for this rather than home audio

Feel free to use/discard the advice as you please. I also love loud music and hence have posted. Enjoy the music and good luck.

You say both home theatre and music, also loud music. The following is my opinion, based only on the basis that you mention loud music. If this is for theater I don't have ( nor want to) add anything.

- Music is best done on a 2.x system in my opinion
- An amplifier will help and is the "natural" way to listen to music
- I consider it sacrilege to listen to music on an AVR, unless by some miracle it sounds brilliant, which I have never seen
- I recommend getting commercial speakers for this rather than home audio

Feel free to use/discard the advice as you please. I also love loud music and hence have posted. Enjoy the music and good luck.
Hi, I am sure that these opinions come from experience and it is good advice for someone looking for a 2.1 system. My AVR with the Dirac Live Bass Control calibration sounds really good to me while allowing me to seamlessly integrate multiple subs without much effort of setup. I cannot tell the difference from separates and auditioning equipment isn't a possibility in my city so separates were never really an option that was considered. I think most of your opinions stem from the fact that you have tried multiple systems hence you have comparisons on how good a system can sound while I have just started on this audiophile journey. Maybe after a few years and experiencing more equipment, I'll understand the value of a dedicated 2.1 system with separates.
Anthem Power Amplifiers will dip to 2 ohms.
On the cheaper side, try Crown D class amps. Some like them, some don't.
I am not sure if any one provides a rental or a home demo especially in Jaipur. You can reach out to the dealership of the brand and see if it's possible to get one. Focus on amps which can go down to 2 ohms & about atleast 120/150wpc & 8 ohms for Aria 926, seen them do well on such amps.
I have spoken to Aniket at O&B audio and he's currently working on a new amp that should fulfil my needs of good power even when driving a sustained 2.9ohm load. He has offered me the option to try the product for a few days which works out all the better for me. I did consider crown class D XLS 1502 amp but the reviews on ASR and on this forum weren't the most encouraging.

Hi, I am sure that these opinions come from experience and it is good advice for someone looking for a 2.1 system. My AVR with the Dirac Live Bass Control calibration sounds really good to me while allowing me to seamlessly integrate multiple subs without much effort of setup. I cannot tell the difference from separates and auditioning equipment isn't a possibility in my city so separates were never really an option that was considered. I think most of your opinions stem from the fact that you have tried multiple systems hence you have comparisons on how good a system can sound while I have just started on this audiophile journey. Maybe after a few years and experiencing more equipment, I'll understand the value of a dedicated 2.1 system with separates.

I have spoken to Aniket at O&B audio and he's currently working on a new amp that should fulfil my needs of good power even when driving a sustained 2.9ohm load. He has offered me the option to try the product for a few days which works out all the better for me. I did consider crown class D XLS 1502 amp but the reviews on ASR and on this forum weren't the most encouraging.

I'm curious, is the system meant solely for music or is it dual use, that is for music and video?

Hello all,

Since you have a subwoofer handling most of the bass duties, the avr would be free from a lot of load as per the crossover set. Hence not sure if you need a power amp for your listening distance of 13 ft. unless if you are not happy with the sound.

Since you have a subwoofer handling most of the bass duties, the avr would be free from a lot of load as per the crossover set. Hence not sure if you need a power amp for your listening distance of 13 ft. unless if you are not happy with the sound.
One of the main reasons that I even thought of getting a power amp is because of the Focal Aria 926's impedance curve. It is supposed to be very similar to the 936's who's measurements have been attached below.

1114FA936fig1.jpg
In this picture it is visible that the speaker's 80hz to 500hz region is below 4 ohms and this frequency range is unaffected by the subwoofers. Current draw in this region is therefore high and could be an issue with the AVR according to Aniket and other forum members.
Please do share your opinion after viewing this graph.

I have used a crown amp as a PA & they are not bad for the price range they are offered at. The O&B here is the right choice vs a XLS1502 , as you have mentioned subsequently the subwoofers are likely crossed over at 60/80hz and the dip is prominent between 80-500hz so it will certainly help there. Also the amp section would be way ahead of the AVR in terms of implementation & there will be other sonic benefits too

One of the main reasons that I even thought of getting a power amp is because of the Focal Aria 926's impedance curve. It is supposed to be very similar to the 936's who's measurements have been attached below.

View attachment 85717
In this picture it is visible that the speaker's 80hz to 500hz region is below 4 ohms and this frequency range is unaffected by the subwoofers. Current draw in this region is therefore high and could be an issue with the AVR according to Aniket and other forum members.
Please do share your opinion after viewing this graph.
You can try keeping the sub's crossover between 60 to 70 hz just to check if it sounds fine.
I would trust Aniket's advice though as he is an expert on this.

You can try keeping the sub's crossover between 60 to 70 hz just to check if it sounds fine.
I would trust Aniket's advice though as he is an expert on this.
Well my speakers do sound fine right now. I'm using dirac live bass control to determine the best crossover for my room and it's 80hz despite SVS recommending 60hz. It sounds better at 80hz too.
There isn't a problem that I'm looking to solve, just trying to get a better experience. Amp should be here in 2-3 weeks hopefully. Will report back with my findings.

what about FOSI v3 monoblocks?
someone wrote that they are using them to drive Magnepans

what about FOSI v3 monoblocks?
someone wrote that they are using them to drive Magnepans
hey rwnano,
I read about FOSI v3 Monos but was concerned about the external power supply needed to drive it and general availability of the product. I have a wharfedale evo 4.2 setup in my bedroom, I might try it with that.
I have used a crown amp as a PA & they are not bad for the price range they are offered at. The O&B here is the right choice vs a XLS1502 , as you have mentioned subsequently the subwoofers are likely crossed over at 60/80hz and the dip is prominent between 80-500hz so it will certainly help there. Also the amp section would be way ahead of the AVR in terms of implementation & there will be other sonic benefits too
Hey fLUX,
Would the O&B be a better buy then the Crown XLS 2502 also? More I read about Crown XLS series, it seems like a beast of a power amp.

The crown amps are a little dry sounding & will resolve less , unless you are getting one at 20-25k where you can experiment and sell if you need to I would say stick to O&B.

@MaSh was thinking of selling his O&B , so talk with him once too.

The crown amps are a little dry sounding & will resolve less , unless you are getting one at 20-25k where you can experiment and sell if you need to I would say stick to O&B.

@MaSh was thinking of selling his O&B , so talk with him once too.
What specification of the amp should i look at when comparing amplifiers in terms of sound and resolution? I have seen the frequency response measurement of the XLS 2502 by ASR and it shows that the amp is absolutely linear with a 0.5db dip at around 10k-20k hz which should not be audible.I'm getting the crown XLS2502 for around 35-40k and the O&B should be 2x of that.
My concerns about the Crown XLS 2502 were the hissing and the lack of high end speakers being driven by Crowns on forums. The hissing can be taken care of by lowering the gain but point number 2 still remains. For now, I'm sticking to the O&B as it seems more like the premium choice but I'm just trying to learn gear comparison for educational purposes.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back