Recording Studio - Tannoy Reveal Passive (old Red model 1997-98) - adding subwoofer

ssimlai

I am proudly using the Tannoy Reveal Passive (red model) since last 26 years. I have had to replace my amp because the transformer gave way, so I bought a Crown XLi 800 amp, not realising that sooner or later I might need to add a subwoofer.

Now that I am in the process of upgrading my studio, and with full intent of continuing to use the Tannoy's, I feel the need of adding a subwoofer to my setup, in order to have clarity on frequencies lower than 65 Hz (the speakers specify a frequency response of 65 Hz to 20 kHz).

Neither the amp nor the speakers have any means to help connect a subwoofer. I would therefore like to know if there could be a way to connect a subwoofer to the system and whether the sub should be powered or unpowered.

Appreciate positive responses with ideas without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance

Neither the amp nor the speakers have any means to help connect a subwoofer. I would therefore like to know if there could be a way to connect a subwoofer to the system and whether the sub should be powered or unpowered.
You just need a subwoofer with speaker level inputs. Most self-powered subwoofer have them. You just need to connect the amp left and right output to the left and right subwoofer speaker level inputs. The subwoofer will also have speaker level output (which is actually a parallel connection to the inputs). The Tannoy speaker wires will then be connected to the subwoofer speaker level output. In this case you require four pairs of speaker wires.

The other option is to connect to two RCA splitters to your music source output. From the splitter one will go to the amp and other will go to the subwoofer RCA inputs. The tannoy speaker will remain connected to your crown amplifier

You just need a subwoofer with speaker level inputs. Most self-powered subwoofer have them. You just need to connect the amp left and right output to the left and right subwoofer speaker level inputs. The subwoofer will also have speaker level output (which is actually a parallel connection to the inputs). The Tannoy speaker wires will then be connected to the subwoofer speaker level output. In this case you require four pairs of speaker wires.

The other option is to connect to two RCA splitters to your music source output. From the splitter one will go to the amp and other will go to the subwoofer RCA inputs. The tannoy speaker will remain connected to your crown amplifier
Thanks for your help. I think I would prefer the first option that you mentioned. But I would like to know a couple of things here, for example, what would be the ideal subwoofer rms and dia, and whether there needs to be a matching done with the Tannoys. The Tannoys are 50W RMS average.

Dont restrict your self in buying a subwoofer that has option to connect high level inputs. You can buy any subwoofer and use a high to low level impedance converter which will do the same job. Rest you can share your budget and requirements with exact usage so people can recommend you a good sub.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back