REL subwoofer model T Zero Mk3 - 6.5 inch

amit11

Is anybody using this subwoofer, wanted to know their experience.

There is a bigger brother the TX5 model which is 8 inch. But what i understand is the 6 5 version is easier to integrate in stereo system compared to 8 inch model. Thanks in advance.

Amit.

Is anybody using this subwoofer, wanted to know their experience.

There is a bigger brother the TX5 model which is 8 inch. But what i understand is the 6 5 version is easier to integrate in stereo system compared to 8 inch model. Thanks in advance.

Amit.
For most speakers as a guideline go with one size larger than your current woofer.
It depends on the low frequency response you are targeting and its much more difficult for a smaller driver to get the same bass at a similar driver as it needs to move the same amount of air.

I would say upto 10" is fine to go above that you need more power and bigger rooms to integrate the bass well.

REL Tx series are sealed subs
They are easy to place and tune into the system
If your room is big go for 8 or 10 inches

T-zero is ideal as a desktop addition

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu
Not all. The T7x and T9x are passive radiators. I had tried issues with T7x due to it not being able to be as fast as my ATC.

For most speakers as a guideline go with one size larger than your current woofer.
It depends on the low frequency response you are targeting and its much more difficult for a smaller driver to get the same bass at a similar driver as it needs to move the same amount of air.

I would say upto 10" is fine to go above that you need more power and bigger rooms to integrate the bass well.
The woofer size of my bookshelf speaker Q acoustics 3020i is 5 inch?

So will 6.5 inch REL would be ok, or 8 inch should be better?

Cheers,
Raghu
My room size is 12 X 14. So would 6.5 inch be less?

My worry is based on reviews and YouTube videos is that T5, T7 models go deeper in bass but they are not as fast as the 6.5 inch model.

And also they sound like as if a sub is sounding differently than our main speakers.

My worry is based on reviews and YouTube videos is that T5, T7 models go deeper in bass but they are not as fast as the 6.5 inch model.
The Tzero is best for desktop application or for bookshelves that cannot play low and the subwoofer needs to be crossed higher up to compensate.
Given your room size and the scope for upgrading your equipment in the future an 8/10in sealed subwoofer will be a good choice.

And also they sound like as if a sub is sounding differently than our main speakers.
That is an issue when the crossover point is not set properly between the subwoofer and speaker. Its not brand specific.

The woofer size of my bookshelf speaker Q acoustics 3020i is 5 inch?

So will 6.5 inch REL would be ok, or 8 inch should be better?

I would say 10 may be needed in your room as I used a 2 10s in the past in a 12x14 and 1 was able to get the bass. rel have a specified placement method.
The sound usually lags when the phase is not correctly dialled in.

Can you get the Dealer to demo both ?

I would say 10 may be needed in your room as I used a 2 10s in the past in a 12x14 and 1 was able to get the bass. rel have a specified placement method.
The sound usually lags when the phase is not correctly dialled in.

Can you get the Dealer to demo both ?
Yet to reach that point.

Actually few days back only, started thinking about sub-woofer, otherwise all these years was against it. One of the FM i met in pune, sparked this thought in me and about REL 🙂.... and then i plugged in my bookshelf speakers which were lying idle.

You definitely need (at least) a T5x for your room. A T Zero would not cut it.

I grappled with the same question of Speed and size when I was looking buy a subwoofer to work with my Rethm Trishnas. I bought the T5i (it was before the T5x came out) and it is just right for my room. And it has no problem matching the speed of the speakers.

To add, if you can place the subwoofer correctly in your room (not an easy task to get right without quite a bit of trial and error) it will blend in, and it will not play separately from the front speakers. In my case, I have the subwoofer against the middle of the left side wall, about halfway between my seat and the speakers. It sounds best to me here, and blends in perfectly with the speakers. (The T5 does not put out overwhelming bass, and placed right, it supports the speakers without calling out attention to itself.)

I tried RELs recommended corner placement, and found it too 'boomy' for my taste in my room.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back