Replacement stylus for ATN95E

sisyphus

As the stylus needle snapped on my ATN95E cartridge, I am looking for a replacement. I came across ATVM95E cartridge on Hifimart and wanted to find out if this would be compatible with the headshell that came with my turntable.

Also, is Hifimart a reliable website to order products from?
Finally, how difficult is it to change a cartridge on the turntable? I came across some online videos and while it didn't look complicated it did need a few things to get the alignment and downforce right but unsure how that would be in practice.

Happy to hear any suggestions.
Thanks

As the stylus needle snapped on my ATN95E cartridge, I am looking for a replacement. I came across ATVM95E cartridge on Hifimart and wanted to find out if this would be compatible with the headshell that came with my turntable.
You have not shared any information(brand/model) or pics of your turntable/headshell.

Also, is Hifimart a reliable website to order products from

The owner of this forum also owns hifimart.

I am looking for a replacement. I came across ATVM95E cartridge
You need to change only the stylus. Not the whole cartridge.
Also, is Hifimart a reliable website to order products from?
Absolutely reliable. Cartridge/stylii are unnecessarily expensive in India. Give a call to Anil and find out exact price.
Finally, how difficult is it to change a cartridge on the turntable?
Changing the stylus alone in AT cartridges is very easy. Takes no tools barring you index finger and thumb and takes less than a minute. Check any youtu.be video. After changing, check the tracking force and antiskate once more.

You need to change only the stylus. Not the whole cartridge.

Absolutely reliable. Cartridge/stylii are unnecessarily expensive in India. Give a call to Anil and find out exact price.

Changing the stylus alone in AT cartridges is very easy. Takes no tools barring you index finger and thumb and takes less than a minute. Check any youtu.be video. After changing, check the tracking force and antiskate once more.
Thanks for the response.
The original cartridge is AT95E and the only compatible stylii are apparently ATN95E (and ATN95EX)..

This is available on Amazon but it is more pricey than the newer cartridge ATVM95E (on Hifimart) which is why I am considering replacing the cartridge itself.

The AT-VM95E can be fitted onto this standard 1/2" mount headshell
Finally, how difficult is it to change a cartridge on the turntable? I came across some online videos and while it didn't look complicated it did need a few things to get the alignment and downforce right but unsure how that would be in practice.

Happy to hear any suggestions.
Thanks
There's no dearth of youtube videos demonstrating how to fix and align a cartridge. Follow the popular ones to the T and you will be up and running. It takes practice and PLENTY OF TIME AND PATIENCE (I cannot emphasise this enough)! I am not in favour of printed paper protractors. Get yourself a mirrored protractor or even a simple plastic one and it'll help you align your cartridge.

Thanks for the response.
The original cartridge is AT95E ...... which is why I am considering replacing the cartridge itself.
If you must change the cartridge, look at something better.
AT95E is absolutely the bottom end, anything else will elevate your system.

Edit.....
The TT has a plastic tonearm. Don't spend too much on new cartridge, unlikely to improve much.

The AT-VM95E can be fitted onto this standard 1/2" mount headshell

There's no dearth of youtube videos demonstrating how to fix and align a cartridge. Follow the popular ones to the T and you will be up and running. It takes practice and PLENTY OF TIME AND PATIENCE (I cannot emphasise this enough)! I am not in favour of printed paper protractors. Get yourself a mirrored protractor or even a simple plastic one and it'll help you align your cartridge.
Thanks that's useful to keep in mind. Is there any specific protractor that you can point to that would be suitable?

If you must change the cartridge, look at something better.
AT95E is absolutely the bottom end, anything else will elevate your system.

Edit.....
The TT has a plastic tonearm. Don't spend too much on new cartridge, unlikely to improve much.
Apparently the ATVM95E is supposed to somewhat better and in any case what else would you recommend ?

Also the tonearm is aluminum and not plastic.

Sisyphus is right. The tone arm is aluminium and RT81 is a fairly decent turntable from the Canadian company, possibly sourced from Hanpin. Having said that, ATVM 95E or it’s more sophisticated stylus profile versions like Elleptical Nude or Microline may be even better. Other carts easily available in India ie Ortofon series,may give an upgrade, but then again sound is an individual preference. AT VM95E is a safe bet. Incidentally a Technics DD TT has its conical version as OE.

Also the tonearm is aluminum and not plplastic.
Oh. The review I read had wrong information then.

I'd suggest something with an upgrade path by swapping the stylus.

Ortofon Red, Nagaoka MP110 and AT VM95EN would be excellent starting points. VM95ML is possibly the most VFM cartridge/stylus for starter decks. The sounds between the brands vary a bit, and Ortofon tends to be a bit more expensive. That said 'Red' is one of the most popular cartridges, can't go wrong with any of them.

I was just randomly checking some prices. I suggest you benchmark US prices and decide how much premium you are willing to pay for Indian market.

I would also advice reading up a bit about stylus (conical/nude/bonded/elliptical/micoline/Shibata/special contact) and cartridges (MM/MI/MC) for greater understanding in the choices.

Enjoy the hobby. It's an endless ocean of joy.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back