Sony MHC VX501 Mini Hi Fi System

pranky004

Hi people, I need a amplifier for my Bookshelf s Speakers. The original receiver is giving lot of IC problems. "Push Power Protect" Damn irritating. Spent more than 5k replacing IC 2 times already.

Need amp for 120 Watt RMS x 2 @ 8 Ohms

Thankyou :rolleyes:

Hi, I am a noob and starting my journey toward a high-end audio setup. I have a Sony MHC VX501 Hi-Fi System with speakers in pristine shape. The central unit no longer works. Can I use these speakers to build a Denon AV receiver-based setup? If anyone can guide me it will be a big help.

Hi, I am a noob and starting my journey toward a high-end audio setup. I have a Sony MHC VX501 Hi-Fi System with speakers in pristine shape. The central unit no longer works. Can I use these speakers to build a Denon AV receiver-based setup? If anyone can guide me it will be a big help.
I looked up the owner's manual and found these specs
Amplifier section
MHC-VX501
The following measured at AC 220 V 50/60 Hz
DIN power output (rated) 100 + 100 watts
(6 ohms at 1 kHz, DIN)
Continuous RMS power output (reference)
120 + 120 watts (6 ohms
at 1 kHz, 10% THD)
Speaker
SS-VX333 for MHC-VX501
Speaker system
3-way, 3-unit,
bass-reflex type
Speaker units
Sub Woofer:
13 cm, cone type
Woofer:
13 cm, cone type
Tweeter:
5 cm, cone type
Nominal impedance
6 ohms
The speakers are of 6 ohms nominal impedance and are designed to work with an amplifier with RMS 120 watts per channel.
So any other decent amplifier should be able to drive these speakers.

You will have no problem connecting them to any AV receivers but do compare the sound quality with some of the new speakers.

Thanks, sudoku for explaining. You have cleared several doubts. In that case, I am now thinking of using these as my desktop or bedroom TV viewing setup. I would be helpful if you can suggest amp+ DAC for these speakers.

Thanks, sudoku for explaining. You have cleared several doubts. In that case, I am now thinking of using these as my desktop or bedroom TV viewing setup. I would be helpful if you can suggest amp+ DAC for these speakers.
You can definitely use the Sony speakers with a receiver. You can the below amp

AIYIMA T9

MaSh

Th
You can definitely use the Sony speakers with a receiver. You can the below amp

AIYIMA T9

MaSh
Thank you MaSh for your response. Just a small query AIYIMA T9 supports 100W * 2 Tube Amplifier and as Sudokpr pointed out my speakers have RMS 120 watts per channel. it won't be an issue? Sorry, my knowledge of this topic is very basic.

Th

Thank you MaSh for your response. Just a small query AIYIMA T9 supports 100W * 2 Tube Amplifier and as Sudokpr pointed out my speakers have RMS 120 watts per channel. it won't be an issue? Sorry, my knowledge of this topic is very basic.
No it won't be an issue. If you don't need remote, built in dac, etc. you can even check out aiyima A07.

MaSh

It doesn't have to be an exact match between the amp and speakers.
A 30 Watts amp can still drive the a 120 W rated loud speaker but the sound won't be room filling.
A 200 Watts amp can also drive a 120 W rated loud speaker, but driving it at full volume can damage the speakers.
Recently I leaned that the advertised wattage won't give you the full picture.
See this thread How Many Watts? - a Guide | HiFiVision.com

The Aiyima T9's 100W output is for 4 ohms load.
With 6 ohms speakers, the power output will still be reduced.
It should have no problem with your speakers though.

Sony used to make some decent-sounding systems back then, I have an old MHC VX101. It still works for everything from CD to Tape. And believe me, it sounds better than some hi-fi products I have listened to.

Sony used to make some decent-sounding systems back then, I have an old MHC VX101. It still works for everything from CD to Tape. And believe me, it sounds better than some hi-fi products I have listened to.
+1 to what @manishk3008 mentioned regarding Sony Hifi systems.

@ds_rajawat, I have the Sony SS-H991 three way speakers (part of Sony MHC-GR66) running as part of a desktop system using the following chain

Fiio BT30Pro DAC (Versatile DAC and value for money) --> AIYIMA Tube A3 Tube Buffer --> AIYIMA A07 -->SS-H991 three way speakers.

It sounds really good and you can change the DAC and do Tube / Op Amp rolling later (for Tube Buffer and Power Amp) with the chain being modular. Using Class D Amp's is a great way to repurpose your old speakers if your main unit is dead.

As FM @MaSh suggested, you can also go for T9/T9 Pro (updated version) (though T9 pro fixes flaws documented for T9 per AIYIMA) with inbuilt DAC/Tube Power Amp as a 1 box solution.

Hope this helps.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back