Sony ps 6750

kuruvilajacob

During Reuben's visit to my place, he noticed a Sony Turntable being placed with my several of my 'For Sale' Turntables. Despite all the heavyweights, Reuben noticed this beast of a player and I am not surprised as it has got one of the biggest platter among Direct Drives. I clarified to Reuben that it's not for sale but is one of my prized Turntables. Though i am not a big fan of Direct Drives, this Sony player has some very unique features never seen on most players. It has a special rubberized coating under the platter which produces a low bass no DD player has been able to give. It's also got a special sticker on the dust cover which acts as an anti-static shield. It's rubber mat is oil filled and it's tone arm has a special coating and the arm assembly has got several adjustments that I have not been able to figure out what they are. I understand there is a higher version of this TT PS-8750 which has a Quartz speed control and Japanese audiophiles have been very selfish in that they were not allowed many of these models to be sold outside Japan. (Iread about this in one of the Forums) . PS-8750 is featured in vintageknob site.

Last edited:
... and I am not surprised as it has got one of the biggest platter among Direct Drives.

What difference does a platter size make to the sound quality?
I would imagine larger platter->more mass->more momentum->stable speeds
are there any other advantages of a big platter?

that is a neat looking turntable.. 'beastly' indeed!
I am also quite fascinated by the oil filled platter mat bit.. :)

a heavier platter will need a bigger motor to drive it and once it is able to turn it to the requisite speed, it will give the table more stability which in turn improve the reproduction.

yes, I saw this TT, the platter is amazing!!

Reuben,
I could not play a record on it last time. It give such a low bass and clear mids . That's why despite so many guys asking for this Deck, I have not parted with it. I hope to spin a record on it next time you are here. Also, I could not demo my modified Dual 1019 nor the JP. I hope to do that next time.

Looking forward to my next visit, probably tentatively, next week end. I have a team off site on Saturday next week, will try to drive down after that.

Sony PS-6750. Extract from vintage knob.It has the double-base system (diecast AL + SBMC + wood) which was shared with the TTS-8000 monster - very efficient and quite good-looking, too. SBMC is btw mainly made of polyester and fiberglass.

The carbon of the armpipe, antistatic lid (less darkly tinted), gel-filled feet, fluid-filled mat and diecast aluminium top were imported directly from the PS-8750 elder.
The motor is the new BSL with two Hall elements which Sony would use in various guises for all its subsequent 'tables : PS-X70, PS-X700, PS-X800 and variants.

However, 1 : the tonearm of the PS-6750 is not a PUA-1600S.

However, 2 : the dustcover has a different shape and is clearer in tint and much thinner.

However, 3 : no X'Tal lock and the IC in charge of speed regulation isn't the same.

Yet, smaller, yes, ok, but frightfully reliable and very very good looking, too.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back