Soundbar or HT?

Uday Rao

Hi all
Which would be better to buy, for a person like me who watches online movies, sports (mainly football, tennis), a little news Indian & from overseas and at times listening to some songs of the 50s, 60s, 70s evergreens, not on vinyl but mainly USBs, online music. A soundbar with sub-woofer, or go in for a customised Sound system (5.1) with AVR, surround speakers, sub-woofer etc? Already have a 8 year old Sony HT(in box) bought along with the previous TV; recently I’ve bought a 55inch LG Smart TV & the old existing HT not having the requisite outlets/sockets for modern TV equipment does not give the full surround sound ( have posted this problem in another forum). Probably could use the speakers which came with the existing HT to save on cost; Looking at all angles too – besides VFM, AVR should not get obsolete within the next 5 years at least. Awaiting your valuable replies, thanks

Hi, Though my living room is 25ft x 12 ft, I have placed my TV in a "viewing area " at the far end of the living room which measures 8ft L x 12ft W area. The Tv is on the wall along the 8ft L. Sitting facing the wall mounted TV, the old Sony HT placed as usual, with the rear surround speakers at ear level just behind the sofa. Budget for AVR maybe upto 35,000 and maybe additionally an economically priced sub- woofer ( I don't know what should be a good entry level sub-woofer & price) if needed. Or whether a Sound bar should be good enough ( if so please suggest brand, model etc). Thanks & am a little confused. BTW, I am in Pune, Maharashtra.

I’m not a fan of sound bars, but for your need they would be ok. You could look at Sony, Yamaha or Polk etc. May be something that has upfiring drivers in that budget

Check out JBL 5.1 2019 Multibeam model. Will cost 38-39k, comes with a hefty 10" subwoofer and Multibeam room correction, which will give you a broad, immersive soundstage. Don't expect surround though. However, for that, you can also go with Samsung. Get Q60T soundbar with SWA8500 surround speakers. Not the best surround speakers, but will work on a budget. Should cost about 40-45k in total once dealers get it. It's a new launch for 2020. Q60R was on sale for 24-25k, but I'll say get the new model as it'll be better and comes with DTS Virtual X. Samsung is also launching Q800T here this year, but it'll probably cost twice as much. Will come with upfiring Atmos though.

AVR with surround speakers can give you a great experience but it'll be a hassle setting everything up and cost more obviously. You can get HTIB, but I don't think they'll be as good as soundbars I mentioned. There's some really high-tech research by Samsung and Harman involved in making these bars. Crossover in budget HTIB systems is also too high. 160 Hz even in Elac Cinema 5 or Harman Kardon systems I checked out. If you're gonna go that route, get something that's crosses over at 120 Hz or below, 80 Hz will be ideal, as otherwise, some voices will be routed to the subwoofer. Soundbars I mentioned will crossover at 120 Hz.

Hi
Thanks all of you very much for replying. Just out of curiosity, in the event I do go in for a Soundbar or AVR with surround speakers etc, what do I do with my existing Sony DZ640K Home theater system? Could I use the front, center & surround speakers with the new AVR ( existing subwoofer is passive) ? Or would I be able to sell this off, not much worried about the resale price though. Also could the existing subwoofer be corrected to connect to other systems?
Regards

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back