Source/Transport suggestion for connecting to AVR

Verma

Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased Marantz NR1506 and realized although it plays all the music formats via USB, it doesn't even recognize any movie on USB :confused:

So I will have to add something to be able to play movies (all the formats of audio and video). I'd like to spend as much less as possible to achieve this.

Currently I'm thinking of adding a blu ray player like Philips BDP2180 (around 6k but doesn't seem to play FLAC, kind of deal breaker).

Another one is Pioneer BDP180 (13.5k from eBay, I think this has all the bells and whistles, but looks expensive for my needs).

Another thing with Blu Ray players is I don't have any blu ray disc, nor I'm planning to buy any. Yes no plans of building blu ray library at least as of now. I do have few important DVD Video Disc of family functions and few Audio CDs.

Mostly I'll be using downloaded content with respect to Movies and Music. Another option is Media Players but don't know which one to look at and what to look for in these?

I'd like to buy something which kinds of complements my Marantz NR1506, and is future proof for another few years (maybe 3-4 years). Basically something like firmware upgradable so that it continues to play all Music + Movies formats.

At the moment I can play movies via TV USB and connect the TV Audio to AVR via digital out. Can it be permanent solution for my requirements?
However I don't know if it'll send surround via digital out or just the stereo. I can't check it also right now as I've only a pair of Zensor 1 as fronts, no center/surround.

So please suggest guys.

Last edited:
If you are interested in building a HTPC (home theatre PC) then I have a slim PC for sale. You just need to add a internal SSD or laptop 2.5" HDD and install either Windows OS + XBMC or if you want to go with Linux based XBMC based media players then a Openelec on a USB pendrive and their is no need to purchase a HDD separately. As you are going to playback mostly downloaded content a PC will be a whole some experience compared to a bluray player and also future proof and upgradable/tweakable based on your expectations.

@verma

If you do not have BDs and have only a few CDs and DVDs of home functions, do you really need a BD/DVD/CD player? Especially since you do not yet intend to start a collection. Existing CDs can be ripped to FLAC for archival. Existing DVDs can be copied again for archival.

Media players from WD/Seagate/Asus can be explored as per your requirements. TV will put out 5.1 digital audio not sure about more channels. It can be an interim solution. What does AVR say the input signal is when you play content with 5.1 (dolby or dts)?
If you have or plan to have a lot of digital music (MP3 or FLAC) a DAC would be a good investment in the long run.

Affordable media players start at 4-5K and affordable DACs start at 6-10K.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Guys,

1. Currently I'm thinking of adding a blu ray player like Philips BDP2180 (around 6k but doesn't seem to play FLAC, kind of deal breaker).

2. Another thing with Blu Ray players is I don't have any blu ray disc, nor I'm planning to buy any. Yes no plans of building blu ray library at least as of now. I do have few important DVD Video Disc of family functions and few Audio CDs.

3. At the moment I can play movies via TV USB and connect the TV Audio to AVR via digital out. Can it be permanent solution for my requirements?
However I don't know if it'll send surround via digital out or just the stereo. I can't check it also right now as I've only a pair of Zensor 1 as fronts, no center/surround.

So please suggest guys.

Well, congratulations again.

1. I have the same Philips BR player and it does play FLAC via its USB connected to my 1 TB HDD. No issues with it. Attached is a pic of my player showing the model number.

2. I was in the same thought process and my primary aim to get a BR Player was to be able to connect my HDD and play media off it. However, I now have 3 BR discs and I play them just to enjoy/show off my setup. Moreover, the PQ and SQ makes getting a few BRs worth it.

3. Your TV must not be sending out 5.1 signal to the receiver. Is it? What is your receiver saying on the screen? Does it run everything in Stereo?

MaSh

Attachments

• 2180.jpg
    2180.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 59
I want something simpler solution, so not considering HTPC at this moment. What will be the price of a cheapest HTPC rig?

@raghupb: Can you please suggest a suitable media player?

@MaSh: That's great that Philips BDP2180 playes flac. I'll try to source one cheaper if I can. :)

I want something simpler solution, so not considering HTPC at this moment. What will be the price of a cheapest HTPC rig?

@raghupb: Can you please suggest a suitable media player?

@MaSh: That's great that Philips BDP2180 playes flac. I'll try to source one cheaper if I can. :)

I have put mine for 10k price and if you are going Linux way then no other investment is required for setting up the HTPC as you can just install a OpenElec on a USB drive and good to go.

I got mine on Olx, brand new. Christmas and New Year coming, keep an eye. All the best.

The only thing to note is that this player cannot play MKV format, however, its not too difficult to convert.

MaSh

HTPC All the way. Even I was playing movies through TV with ARC Enabled in AVR to output 5.1 output. Some BR rips of 10 Gb plus started to act up in half the movie with error " Playback not available"

Got so pissed off when three movies F&F 7, Interstellar and Gravity were giving that error when I am through half movies that I just took my car and got a GT610 for 3K and an EXtra HDMI cable and made my 8 year Old PC in to dual use PC.

Now the movie plays completely using JRiver Media Centre 20.

But, a dedicated HTPC is the best option( Dual use is buggy for me as my monitor doesn't support Full HD resolution) as it Kills just every other Media player and other options out there.

Edit: If Space is really not a constrain, any old desktop CPU can be used with an addition of a GPU which can bit stream.

Last edited:
HTPC All the way. Even I was playing movies through TV with ARC Enabled in AVR to output 5.1 output. Some BR rips of 10 Gb plus started to act up in half the movie with error " Playback not available"

Got so pissed off when three movies F&F 7, Interstellar and Gravity were giving that error when I am through half movies that I just took my car and got a GT610 for 3K and an EXtra HDMI cable and made my 8 year Old PC in to dual use PC.

Now the movie plays completely using JRiver Media Centre 20.

But, a dedicated HTPC is the best option( Dual use is buggy for me as my monitor doesn't support Full HD resolution) as it Kills just every other Media player and other options out there.

Edit: If Space is really not a constrain, any old desktop CPU can be used with an addition of a GPU which can bit stream.
I feel you are a movie buff like me. Try Kodi for movies. I think you might love it. [emoji4]

@verma

I have a ASUS O!Play Mini. Not the greatest of players feature wise but it is cheap for HD video + up to 7.1 sound. Cost me 4.7K about a year ago.
It has HDMI and OPT out and can read USB sticks and HDD.
No network feature or BT. I don't have need for these since I cable down (I am 20th century dinosaur in today's uber connected world)

HDMI out connects to Marantz AVR for videos (torrent downloads with some HD quality)
OPT out connects to Marantz IA via DAC for Music (FLAC/MP3/Wav; torrent DL and own rip)

ASUS O!Play is a quirky little box with a lousy, slow but usable interface.
But is meets my requirements at the price point

Seagate and Western Digital also have MPs but a bit more expensive (8 - 12K range; I think). I cannot comment on these. May be some other members can.

Sometimes I use my laptop as source for music and movies.
I am in Bengaluru, so PM me if you want to take a look at my set up.

Cheers,
Raghu

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back