Speakers and Amplifier for Piped/Background music

Nikhili

Hello,
I need help in figuring out what's the ideal way to go about a system for Piped music. I am attaching the floor plan apart from a couple of images showing the corridors.

1. The height in the corridors varies and the highest is around 20'. It is sky lit but has space to go ahead for ceiling mounted ones but this might lead to uneven volume levels at other locations. Would prefer in wall speakers and the last option would be wall mounted.
  2. Would it be a good idea to use 12 AWG cable either Amazon basics or any other similarly priced OFC cable?
  3. How to go about with the wiring from speaker to speaker and then to the amp?
  4. Would like to keep the source in a different room which would probably be around 30-50' away. What source to use and how to connect it to amp without worrying about SQ degredation?
  5. What is the spacing needed between speakers?
  6. Please suggest the gear. No clue about the budget but flexible.
Looking at placing the amps in IT CL (115 in the image) and wish to place the source in Steri Center (126).
Speakers are only for the corridors, reception area and the sterilization center. The corridors are approximately about 60' long by 5' wide.

Lastly, it is located in the US so suggestions for the stuff available within the US is a must.

Look forward to suggestions!

Thanks!

07607939-45aa-4a32-b4e2-e299d10c05de.JPGPHOTO-2019-08-19-17-11-54.jpgPHOTO-2019-08-19-17-11-53.jpg

Hello,
I need help in figuring out what's the ideal way to go about a system for Piped music. I am attaching the floor plan apart from a couple of images showing the corridors.

1. The height in the corridors varies and the highest is around 20'. It is sky lit but has space to go ahead for ceiling mounted ones but this might lead to uneven volume levels at other locations. Would prefer in wall speakers and the last option would be wall mounted.
  2. Would it be a good idea to use 12 AWG cable either Amazon basics or any other similarly priced OFC cable?
  3. How to go about with the wiring from speaker to speaker and then to the amp?
  4. Would like to keep the source in a different room which would probably be around 30-50' away. What source to use and how to connect it to amp without worrying about SQ degredation?
  5. What is the spacing needed between speakers?
  6. Please suggest the gear. No clue about the budget but flexible.
Looking at placing the amps in IT CL (115 in the image) and wish to place the source in Steri Center (126).
Speakers are only for the corridors, reception area and the sterilization center. The corridors are approximately about 60' long by 5' wide.

Lastly, it is located in the US so suggestions for the stuff available within the US is a must.

Look forward to suggestions!

Thanks!

Wiring needs to be CL2 standard because it is internal. 12AWG is good enough for runs up to 60-80 feet if using 8 Ohm speakers
You may use a single preamp with a music streamer.
Everything may be kept in the closet and you can control the streamer from anywhere if it is wired up to the LAN/AP.

What this plan needs is a distribution system.
As far as amps are concerned you may look at at Parasound ZoneMaster series.
Since you have varying heights, the gain or level control may come in handy.
Parasound is a US company and they can suggest system integration experts in your area.
Also, you may use the channels as summed mono to drive a single speaker in tight spaces.

Cheers,
Raghu

Wiring needs to be CL2 standard because it is internal. 12AWG is good enough for runs up to 60-80 feet if using 8 Ohm speakers
You may use a single preamp with a music streamer.
Everything may be kept in the closet and you can control the streamer from anywhere if it is wired up to the LAN/AP.

What this plan needs is a distribution system.
As far as amps are concerned you may look at at Parasound ZoneMaster series.
Since you have varying heights, the gain or level control may come in handy.
Parasound is a US company and they can suggest system integration experts in your area.
Also, you may use the channels as summed mono to drive a single speaker in tight spaces.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks, Raghu!
If 12awg is good up to 80’ it probably is a good idea to use 10 awg? Cable length would go beyond 100’ I suppose. Would you know how the wiring is to be done? Loop from one speaker to the other? Some speakers come with input and output terminals?
I will look into parasound zone master.
Would it be a better idea to go for in wall speakers instead of ceiling ones or wall mounted?

Thanks, Raghu!
If 12awg is good up to 80’ it probably is a good idea to use 10 awg? Cable length would go beyond 100’ I suppose. Would you know how the wiring is to be done? Loop from one speaker to the other? Some speakers come with input and output terminals?
I will look into parasound zone master.
Would it be a better idea to go for in wall speakers instead of ceiling ones or wall mounted?

Since it is gonna be in wall wiring, you may use 10AWG.
Even plain electrical wire will work; you may not need "speaker-wire" per se.
Each speaker would be powered by separate channel on the amp.
Wall or ceiling is up to you. In-wall or in-ceiling speakers speakers limit you in terms of selection.
Wall mount will widen your choice (may be save a bit on budget too).
If going for Amp + passive speakers, choose speakers that are easy to drive.
Cheers,
Raghu

Wall or ceiling is up to you. In-wall or in-ceiling speakers speakers limit you in terms of selection.
Cheers,
Raghu
Might stick to speaker cable :)
Haven’t yet looked it up but how many channels does that he parasound have?
Separate cables would be good. Will need a lot of cable this way!
In wall or ceiling is preferred for aesthetic reasons but will check out options and take a call.
True that - will look for easy to drive speakers.
Thanks!

Might stick to speaker cable :)
Haven’t yet looked it up but how many channels does that he parasound have?
Separate cables would be good. Will need a lot of cable this way!
In wall or ceiling is preferred for aesthetic reasons but will check out options and take a call.
True that - will look for easy to drive speakers.
Thanks!

All speaker cables are copper; so is electrical wire a.k.a lamp cord.
Electrical cables are much cheaper and give the same performance.
But then it is your call :)

Parasound ZM650 - 12 speakers
Parasound ZM1250 - 24 speakers
There is enough under the hood (Class-D modules) to drive all channels as per documentation.
If you need more speakers, you can daisy chain amps easily.
Download the documentation and read up. There is a lot of detail in the manual.

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu
Zonemaster 1250 is 12 channel. The Dante site says 16-18 awg for upto 300’
I can probably stick to 12 or 14, perhaps!

All speaker cables are copper; so is electrical wire a.k.a lamp cord.
Electrical cables are much cheaper and give the same performance.
But then it is your call :)

Parasound ZM650 - 12 speakers
Parasound ZM1250 - 24 speakers
There is enough under the hood (Class-D modules) to drive all channels as per documentation.
If you need more speakers, you can daisy chain amps easily.
Download the documentation and read up. There is a lot of detail in the manual.

Cheers,
Raghu
I suppose for this application I can go ahead with lamp cord. I usually don’t prefer it in my stereo setup :)
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the same about when you messaged I suppose!
Is 10-15’ distance between speakers good enough?
Any suggestions for speakers?

I suppose for this application I can go ahead with lamp cord. I usually don’t prefer it in my stereo setup :)
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the same about when you messaged I suppose!
Is 10-15’ distance between speakers good enough?
Any suggestions for speakers?

No idea about spacing between speakers.
Summed mono (L+R) per speaker will probably be the most suitable.
On speaker make/model, it really comes down to overall budget and number of speakers.
Many mainstream speaker companies have architectural series.
Good old Polk Audio has affordable products. And they have wide presence in US.
You may want to take suggestions from a system integrator.
They do commercial installs and know their stuff.

Cheers,
Raghu

No idea about spacing between speakers.
Summed mono (L+R) per speaker will probably be the most suitable.
On speaker make/model, it really comes down to overall budget and number of speakers.
Many mainstream speaker companies have architectural series.
Good old Polk Audio has affordable products. And they have wide presence in US.
You may want to take suggestions from a system integrator.
They do commercial installs and know their stuff.

Cheers,
Raghu
Summed mono means something like most BT speakers which usually left and right in the same enclosure and some of them can be paired to act as separate left and right sorts?
I’m ruling out ceiling speakers. Have to decide between in wall or on wall.
Will look at options from Polk and Klipsch apart from figuring out how much it’s going to cost the Dante route.
Yes, need to get connect with someone that does it regularly.
Any suggestions for a decent streamer that can be connected via lan?

Summed mono is summation at the amplifier and connects only to one speaker.
In places such as corridors, it is difficult to implement stereo.
And since the application is background music, nuances of stereo may not be important.

If you have an AVR, there is an option called "All Channel Stereo".
This is the closest to summed mono operation. You can check it out.

Streamers, I have only used Chromecast Audio. So not much experience here.
May be other FMs can suggest more robust streamers.

Cheers,
Raghu

BTW, you may need to engage a certified professional in any case.
This is a commercial install in a place where general public visit.
There are a whole bunch of insurance related guidelines to be met regarding concealed wiring.
I think it is all related to fire safety, stuff not falling on peoples heads, and whatnot.

Cheers,
Raghu

Summed mono is summation at the amplifier and connects only to one speaker.
In places such as corridors, it is difficult to implement stereo.
And since the application is background music, nuances of stereo may not be important.

If you have an AVR, there is an option called "All Channel Stereo".
This is the closest to summed mono operation. You can check it out.

Streamers, I have only used Chromecast Audio. So not much experience here.
May be other FMs can suggest more robust streamers.

Cheers,
Raghu
Got it.
There is an old 5.1 avr but not sure if it has the option to play all channel stereo.
Parasound 1250 does seem to have the option to have stereo, mono or bridged.
Ok. I will google up options.

Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back