Speakers under 20K

pra300

So I have been soundbar user for several years and after reading about bookshelf, monitor stereo speakers I thought of trying them.
Recently bought Swans D1080-IVB and was really impressed with sound quality! Unfortunately I had to return them - more on that here.

Now I am looking for new speakers under 20K.
Requirement/usage:
80% TV (mostly Youtube and occasional movies on OTT) 20% bluetooth music.
Optical connection required.
I enjoy warm and balanced sound signature with high accuracy/natural vocals.

After some research I am eying Edifier R1855DB. Currently at 19K on Amazon - I can wait for next sale - no rush.

Do you think this would be best choice under 20K or I can get better sound with Passive speakers and Amp?
Suggetions are appreciated.

I went with Edifier R1855DB - bought at 17K. Couldn't wait till sale as I had no other speakers.

First impressions:
Vocals are definitely not open sounding - kind of thin/soft and lacks depth. Bass and trebles sounded louder than vocals. I had to really concentrate to hear vocals clearly.
I felt the speakers sounds bright. The bass was bit boomy at default 0 level. I reduced it a couple of notches. Placement might be important for these speakers - I have them on solid good weighted wooden teapoy.

Comparison with Swans D1080-IVB that I had for a short period of time:
What I liked in Swans speakers were vocals - they were sweet, open, detailed - I never had to concentrate my ears to hear vocals. I just termed them theater-quality! Very apt bass in quantity and quality. Before Swans I was using JBL SB271 soundbar. I didn't feel need to add subwoofer for Swans.
Be it with Bluetooth or with Aux connection - sound quality was almost same, didn't notice much difference. Soundstage was amazing, it sounded big - these were my first bookshelf speakers so again I just felt this is theatre-quality stuff.
I was literally smiling all the time when I was playing songs.

All this wow factor is missing in Edifiers - mainly because of weak vocals, I miss Swans speakers now😂 a bummer!
Since I can't return Edifier I will live with it for now and try to tune them to my liking.
I hope they do well after break in period.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back