Stereo Amplifier and Sub-Woofer

mohitc

Hi,

I'm planning on setting up a 2.1 system at my place here in Delhi.

So far I've auditioned the following Speakers:

1. Jamo C605
2. Tannoys
3. Wharfedale D230
4. Monitor Audio Bronze
5. Jamo S Series
6. Polk Audio
7. Yamaha

I'm looking for Floor Standers and my budget is INR1lakhs (can go upto 1.2L max)

Out of the above mentioned speakers I loved the Monitor Audio and really liked the Wharfedale D230 (MA is around 20K more expensive than the D230).

I'm looking for a powerful stereo amplifier and sub to support these. The audition happened with a PeachTree Nova6S but that is way too expensive for my budget (I'd rather spend more on the speakers).

I think if I can get a matching stereo amplifier for about 30K and a Sub under 20K, I will be able to go for the MA which I reallly liked.

Any suggestion/advice in this regard would be really helpful.

Cheers!

Hi!
Good floor standers and a good ampthis combo could probably offset your requirement for a sub (unless Movies would constitute the major use of your set up)
Having decided on good speakers,,you might wanna think of a good amp too with what you could divert from the sub. What would be your source? (Do not ignore that bit)
Cheers

Hi,

Any suggestion/advice in this regard would be really helpful.

Cheers!

I would suggest you take it step by step, pick up the speaker you like with the amp you heard it with, the sub part can wait. Buying a 20K sub and a 30K amp would not do justice for the kinda speakers your looking at.

Or if you insist on a sub, I would say look for a bookshelf+stand & add a sub to it, remember getting a sub to blend well with a stereo setup is a tasking one, but if you get it right, it will be a total bliss..

Good luck with your search.

if youre buying floorstanders you dont need a sub. take the sub budget and spend it on getting a better amp

If you are intending to use a sub then look for stereo amps which have sub out of LFE out facility, Brands to look at are Marantz, NAD, Arcam, Cambridge Audio, etc.

Remember you will need good amount of steam to drive the speakers you intend to buy so take your time, check your budget, trust your ears and make the purchase....

There are a couple of AVRs who have the feature to BI AMP channels to facilitate more power for the front speakers...typically these are the 7.1 or 7.2 AVRs....

All the best....

Check wharfedale d240..

its better than d230.. i will personally go for d240..

for sub out..forget marantz..their sub out is with pm8005 model which is around 1lac..

lower models like pm5005..6005..7005 don't hv

i wil personally go for yamaha as500.. it has sub out plus higher output per channel..

if u can wait one more month..as501 wil be launched in india which has optical input ..rest all specs same with as500.

sub sud be the last prod u sud buy..

Please contact FM Locomotive - he wants to sell his Peachtree Nova 65

Go for the best speakers your ears like and your money can buy..and from your expression that looks to be the Monitor Audio.

FM Bizarre has a Jamo C405 ( i think ) floorstander for sale too..

Take the speakers first and after a few months add a sub woofer..the idea is to wait to settle the speakers in first.

There is a SA200 subwoofer for sale too FM Bhagwan..

actually you can make a nice system out of all the pre loved ads on this forum and India's Audio & Video Pre-Owned Classified Ads Website and save a lot of money.. :D

Integrating a sub with a stereo set up can be quite an affair and if not done right it can take the shine away from stereo. Good floor standers may alleviate the need for a sub, audition carefully before you absolutely decide on a sub.

Hello Mohit. Welcome to the forum and wish you a pleasant stay!
There are a few questions that you need to answer here before you make the purchase.
1. What is the purpose of the setup? Music or Movies? If both what percentage each?
2. How big is the room?
3. What is your source? PC? CDs? LPs? Depending on the source you may be have to accommodate the budget for a good transport (DAC, CD Player, etc)
4. What about the interconnects? Do you have your own?
5. Are you willing to buy used stuff? Also would you be interested in DIY ventures?

If this is your first "Hi-fi" Purchase, then I would recommend that you hold off before making any investment. I say this not because the stuff you listed is bad but you would be amazed what you can buy for the same amount of money, just by researching more.

If you want to get into stereos as a hobby and your primary intention is music (stereo), I would suggest you go look for excellent bookshelves and a good integrated or Pre-Power to go with it. You would need to spend for stands and a good transport too. The best part about this is that you can later add a sub for the low end and you'll have yourself a full range system. The only caveat is that integrating a sub "completely" with the bookshelves might be an issue.

If you're looking for floor standers then you'll get entry level or mid-fi FS speakers at this budget (at best). Their performance although is good but may not be as good as a great bookshelf (more so when the bookshelf has been paired well with a sub).

If I were you, I'd spend in a great pair of bookshelf speakers (use 50% of available budget), decent integrated amplifier (30-35%) and the rest for transport, interconnects, etc. At a later stage I'll add a sub to this and then upgrade to better amplification and so on and so forth.

You could always go for the used route and trust me you can score a very decent to excellent sounding system for this kind of dough. Just look around in the links mentioned by our fellow FMs above.

DIY kits and certain projects can also be an excellent alternative to buying new (for example the GR Research Speaker kit and the Pass Labs F5t). Not only would these systems cream your branded gear at this price, they'll be all tailored by you - for you.
There are many members on this forum who'll be glad to help you; if you venture in this direction.

Let us know how it goes. Best of luck with your purchase! :D

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back