Streaming games from NAS

Sopra

Hi has anyone tried streaming games or playing games through their NAS? I’m keen to do this but been hearing that this is not possible due to performance issues etc

Do you want to install games on your NAS? Unless you have a 10G network, this isn't a feasible way to play.

These days modern games require NVME SSDs or else take very very long to load. Also they keep streaming data as you go to new areas in open worlds so there is a constant stream of content being buffered and processed.

Do you want to install games on your NAS? Unless you have a 10G network, this isn't a feasible way to play.

These days modern games require NVME SSDs or else take very very long to load. Also they keep streaming data as you go to new areas in open worlds so there is a constant stream of content being buffered and processed through home and away gaming.
Yes, you can stream or play games from a NAS, but there are a few factors to consider. The main challenges are network speed, latency, and the performance of the NAS itself. If your NAS has a powerful CPU and plenty of RAM, it can handle game storage and streaming for less resource-intensive games. However, for AAA or graphically demanding titles, you may experience lag, especially over Wi-Fi.

To get the best results, make sure your NAS is connected via Gigabit Ethernet, and your network is fast. Some people even use SSDs in the NAS for better performance. Just keep in mind that while it’s possible, it's not ideal for every game type.

I did this during lockdown while my main system was in Mumbai and I was back home for a few weeks using Parsec. There are ways to do it on a NAS if you are looking at hosting a game server. You need to correct GPU passthrough etc.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back