Subwoofer stopped working- repair or replace?

GDSAlpha

My 2 yr old Mission MS450 subwoofer recently started making a knocking noise even when not connected to my Av receiver. The dealer asked me to disconnect and send the Pcb board ( with the sub amp and power supply i presume) to attempt a repair.

After a couple days, I was told that its unrepairable and the board would need to be replaced (from Mumbai distributor), costing 18-20k with 1 month testing warranty. A new Mission MS450 would cost 45-50k.

Not sure what to do here, am I being scammed? Worth replacing it? Or just buy another sub? Will appreciate the communitys guidance here, thanks in advance!

After a couple days, I was told that its unrepairable and the board would need to be replaced
Standard reply, I bet they didn't even bother to check the problematic component.
Most of PCB problems can be traced to capacitors and dry solder. If you have time , get it repaired from some laptop repairer (YES) , ask him to change all SMD electrolytic caps and reheat/reflow all the solder joints. Pay him extra to do the job in front of you. Worst case- 1-2K loss in labor and parts

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back