Things to consider while auditioning a TV

Kumar442244

Hello folks,

I am planning to upgrade my TV and I have the first audition today. Samsung 50mu6100.
Wanted some guidance and tips on what all should one notice/look for while auditioning a TV.
My budget is 70k with 5k here and there.
Plz suggest options that I have in the price bucket.
My preference is mostly 50incher and this will be majorly for movies. No gaming at all.
I don't have too many 4k content with me nor have a 4k upscaling player but wud prefer to have a TV with this feature (just in case I decide to upgrade my bdp to pioneer bdp180 which might happen by August).
My viewing distance is ~8 feet and will be connecting to marantz receiver.
Kindly advise.

I was hunting for one last year, these are my learnings
  • Any size you like is going to feel inadequate in 3 months. Review the 55" as well.
  • I preferred Samsung or Sony, eventually purchased Samsung as I felt it more VFM. My friends picked up a new VU 49" - it is definitely impressive.
  • Look for an IPS panel.
  • Prefer a 100Hz refresh rate or higher.
  • Look at the speed of the Processor and prefer a 2018 model if your budget allows it. It might not feel like it's important at this point. It can get frustrating using a slow UI on a regular basis. Things slow down after updates so this is important.
  • Samsung's app selection is good, Not as great as some of the others.
  • Voice search is a life saver.
  • LAN connectivity is actually better in the long term over wifi,though wifi is convenient.
  • Check for ARC support, though most TV's this is a given.
  • Check user reviews for occurrence of deadpixels and companies response to fix the same.
  • The TV's gotta look good turned off. Else your wife is going to kill you...

Good Points.....some more....

• Based on your viewing distance.....stand that much distance away at the Electronic shop to decide on the TV and model
  • Warranty and after sales service is important....check for that.....
  • Built quality also matters.....Big brands have known to fail.....
  • Check connectivity options (number of HDMI ports), USB ports...Audio Out (Through Optical / Analog)
  • SQ of speakers based on your viewing distance...you will not put your AVR on for every TV soap or news etc....
  • Headphones port is a bonus...helps for night listening....
  • Look at the Flagship models of Normal brands like Videocon etc...you may end up with a good investment which fulfills all your requirements...

What about video parameters to check? It would be nice if someone knowledgeable can list important video related parameters to look for, possibly along with a small explanation of each point.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am sure these would be ultra useful for members who are planning to buy a TV.

I have finally pulled the trigger and bought Samsung 50MU6100 and expecting it to be delivered by Thursday.

Hope I have made a decent choice.

Will post pics and a short review once I have it installed and used enough to be qualified for a review.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am sure these would be ultra useful for members who are planning to buy a TV.

I have finally pulled the trigger and bought Samsung 50MU6100 and expecting it to be delivered by Thursday.

Will post pics and a short review once I have it installed and used enough to be qualified for a review.
How is the picture quality? Any detailed review will be helpful for other.

I like the picture quality of Sony over Samsung, but that's my choice only.
If you like the PQ of Samsung then you have made the best choice.

Hello everyone.

It's been over 3 weeks since I have been using it. The picture quality is reasonably decent for an entry level 4k TV.
Have tried Amazon prime, Netflix, blue ray disc and HDD with 4k content and and pretty much satisfied with the TV given the price I paid.
Normal hd content looks far better than my other fhd Samsung tv.
Overall, a decent product at the price.
Remote control is super user friendly and the build quality is just superb.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back