Which Wifi Router to pick up?

tony.navin

So, I already have the standard Beetel wifi router that comes with Airtel. I wanted to pick up a router that has a better range (currently I have a HTPC in my room that's a bit far from the router in the hall and the connection is not that great) and something that can handle streaming of audio files with ease. Am planning to set up Sonos wifi speakers in multiple rooms.

So, please suggest a good router that I can pick up.

Thanks in advance.

You can check these older threads

http://www.hifivision.com/general-lounge/45308-best-router-home-use.html

http://www.hifivision.com/general-lounge/24983-mar-2012-wireless-n-router-bsnl.html

In short although most of 1.5 to 2.5K price range routers should work for you but essentially if you upgrade from Wifi-G (your existing, at 54 mbps) to single stream wifi N (150N) that should do for you and no need to buy high end router for audio streaming. Ball game changes if you intend to stream high res videos. Also if you have fancy of any add-on features with the router like USB HDD support, etc then price goes up.

Thanks but would the range of Dlink 2750 be good to cover a 1800 sq.ft home? The HTPC is kept in the room which is a good 30 mts from where the router is.

Also, when I connect the existing modem-cum-wifi router to the new wifi router, should I be switching off the Wifi of the original router?

Go for a dual antennae with 300MBPS wifi router from a good brand like Dlink, TP-link, netgear etc. They will cost you around 2K plus.

Consider tp link 1043nd. It's a good vfm product and should work very well for your requirement when aptly placed.

tapped on Note II cdma

Don't get fooled by manufacturer-s trying to push routers with dual antennas or triple antennas. Always look for the power transmitted, higher the power (dBm) higher the coverage.

But the bottomline remains that routers are a hit or miss in homes of different layouts and cannot be predicted without real test. If you have budget go for this router http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/buffalo-technology-wzr-hp/4505-3319_7-33673585.html exceptional range, also for range reviews look at smallnetbulder site rest upto your budget.

I would suggest you go for an ac router. Asus makes the best routers but they are also the most expensive in their range. Croma is selling dlink ac1200 805 router for 4999. With some coupon you can get it for 4500 or so delivered at home.

If range is a problem, add a repeater or two at some strategic locations. You can get them for cheap on aliexpress.com.

But if you are looking for a solid solution, look for powerline adapters. There are ones which create a wifi connection as well. Make sure you go for powerline av with homeplug av support. Cheers!

Powerline would be a good solution I agree. But a word of caution about AC is that it suffers the same range issue as N in the 5GHz band while penetrating walls. I am currently having a AC router from ASuS given to test by one of my friends and I can only get whole house coverage running it in 54mbps mode. Also to take advantage of 1.7gbps bandwidth of AC only 5ghz supported ac wifi adapters will work.

I am using ASUS RT-n13u b1 wifi n router.It covers my entire 2600 Sqft apartment.The speed at extremities is around 1mbps though (around 4 walls in between with closed doors).All other areas it provides full speed.I also have a relatively expensive netgear n300 router but it fails against ASUS. It can also be used in repeater mode with your beetel wifi router and also has the provision to attach usb storage. I have also streamed movie rips 5-6gb from the attached storage.Works flawlessly.

Asus RT-N13U B1 Wireless N with All-in-One Printer Server Router - Asus: Flipkart.com

Hi, WiFi signals can not penetrate brick/concrete walls, require line of sight and are impacted by other devices such as microwave ovens, cordless phones etc. So, wasting money on expensive routers does not make sense. Instead, use Homeplug devices, which utilize normal electrical wiring in home/office to transmit Ethernet signals from router to different parts of the home/office effortlessly, securely and seamlessly. One such solution is to use Aztech Singapore's Homeplug Kit HL113E/HL113EW available on Amazon India or by contacting [email protected] (Tel No 8408032002)

Hi, do not waste money on expensive routers. WiFi signals can not go through brick walls and require line of sight. Instead, use Homeplug technology, also referred as Powerline, to transmit signals. Homeplug uses normal electrical wiring in a home/office to carry signals from router to wherever required
Eg Aztech Homeplug 113E/113EW

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back