Will not rock wool panel make sound slightly bright?

amit11

Hi friends,

If we use rock wool panel in our listening room, i have read that it will tame the bass. In other words it will reduce the bass. In that case won't the sound become less warm and more bright.

What i tried was, very thick pillows, not exactly pillows but cushions which we keep on sofa. Those two very thick, almost 8 inches thick, i kept between the speakers.

So what i observed was clarity had increased, and bass had decreased. The juiciness in music had gone away.. not sure if i am doing something wrong.

Hi friends,

If we use rock wool panel in our listening room, i have read that it will tame the bass. In other words it will reduce the bass. In that case won't the sound become less warm and more bright.
Yes.
What i tried was, very thick pillows, not exactly pillows but cushions which we keep on sofa. Those two very thick, almost 8 inches thick, i kept between the speakers.
This shouldn't have happened. Just two of them and that too with the cushion foam material which probably doesn't have high absorption of long waves. But something is happening where it has stopped transmission of long waves from the front wall. Probably some other forum members will have an insight on what is happening.
So what i observed was clarity had increased, and bass had decreased. The juiciness in music had gone away.. not sure if i am doing something wrong.

Hi friends,

What also happens is that other frequencies also get absorbed as absorption is not precise. It also attenuates other frequencies . eg a 1000Hz fundamental also has 500, 250 hz subharmonics and all of that together make the timbre of that voice/instrument if the harmonics gets absorbed then the sound can be thinner as well. it need not absorb fully but partial is also enough for the sound to change.

Thats why instead of absorber, diffusers are relatively less intrusive. It could also mean that this is the actual sound and the bass whose overtones were riding the fundamental have been absorbed as well :D

Hi friends,

What you did wrong was to try and tame the bass! Why would you do such a thing?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back