Wondering DIY Bookshelf Speaker Kit

hifiramr

Hi all I just want some inputs about below points from our forum members from there experience that would be real help for me to build a DIY bookshelf speaker.

1.DIY speaker kit is it worth comparing with hi end branded speakers in the market.

2. I am looking for a DIY kit which will comparable with $2000 Bookshelf speaker.My budget for DIY kit will be $350 maximum.

3. Which DIY speaker kit is best out there with respect to performance and cost wise.

4. I know cabinet will be a big factor but I can build very good cabinet with help of our FM who already done that.

5. Crossover design very very important factor need some input on that one also.

6. Please share your experience when you compared a DIY speaker with branded ones.

Last edited:
It's worth diy! I am extremely happy with my GR Research XLS-Encore bookshelf diy kit. It came with matched drivers, screws, port, cups, cross over and box plan. Thanks to captain Rajesh and other FMs for taking huge effort that time.
I sold my wharfedale 9.2.

1.DIY speaker kit is it worth comparing with hi end branded speakers in the market.

Speaker designing is not so simple and takes years of trial and error and a lot of effort to get it right. This site would give you insight of what goes into speaker designing: http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

You may be better off going in for a kit complete with drivers, crossover and box plan.

Yes, there are quite a few kits available which you can consider.
I am looking for a DIY kit which will comparable with $2000 Bookshelf speaker. My budget for DIY kit will be $350 maximum.

Which DIY speaker kit is best out there with respect to performance and cost wise.

Here are some:

N2X

Continuum, Pr

Fusion-12 Tempest - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

You may have to do some homework to figure as to which one would suit your requirement.

Last edited:
Welcome to the DIY community !

For a 300-350USD budget, scanspeak and seas seem to be worthwhile.
There are other good brands such as SB Acoustics, TangBand etc.

There might be two ways to go about it:

1. Pick up an already existing plan (Enclosure+XO) for a particular set of drivers and implementing it at your end. Seas and Scanpeak have some DIY ideas on their website. Besides there are many detail threads about various builds on diyAudio.

2. Pick up the drivers you like, and designing the box and XO on your own. This however is a time consuming and some might say tedious task. although the box is something which can easily calculated, the crossover is somewhat more complicated.
If you are looking for something of the "2000USD sound stage" you would have to measure the impedance/frequency response of each driver and would have to track the variation of the same after you have them on your baffle.

if you are looking for a quick solution, a pre designed setup is what you want to go in for.
Besides, you can always play around with the design and tweek it to your liking.

Hope this helps!

For $300-$350, Scanspeaks? I am sure you guys are kidding, right? I have 18W8545Ks and they cost a mere $165 per driver+ the D2900/9xxx a mere $150-225 each. Add to it shipping, customs etc, it will break the bank!

My suggestion is first read up a bit-you need to buy the crossover components, build the box-it should look reasonably good, and get the drivers, terminal, etc. It all adds up. Personally I dont think for $300-350 you can outdo a $2000 system, and if someone told you that he may have misled you. I dont have a budget for you, you need to read up and figure out how to source the drivers etc from overseas-these wont be available at these prices in India, for sure.

My suggestion is first read up a bit-you need to buy the crossover components, build the box-it should look reasonably good, and get the drivers, terminal, etc. It all adds up. Personally I dont think for $300-350 you can outdo a $2000 system, and if someone told you that he may have misled you. I dont have a budget for you, you need to read up and figure out how to source the drivers etc from overseas-these wont be available at these prices in India, for sure.

I agree. 300-350 is paltry a budget to outdo a $2000 system.

Finally I found below points

1.Yes I agree with most of the replays after a lot search $300 kit will not be compared with $2000 that's correct.

2. I am sure speaker DIY is not going to be cheap here in India.

3. We have to import speaker kit from abroad good one will cost $400 for pair as a starting range even a good crossover component will itself cost around $300 +

4. Plus we have to build very good cabinet that also not soo easy within the budget.

so when I calculated dollar wise with cabin it will come around below for a mediaum range

Speaker Kit good one = $600 + Shipping + customes chagres = $850 +
Good Crossover with hi end components = $300 +
Cabinet locally from Here = $200 +

Total will be = $1350 +

So not worth to try even we compare $2000 speakers so there is no meaning of DIY for this project until we will get well reputed kit from India

Last edited:
No I dont agree. There are some good kits using Peerless drivers that you may be able to source from Bombay, BUT if you want to beat a $2000 system, that may not happen. I havent built any of the Peerless kits, but from all accounts they are fairly good-though not Scanspeaks for sure! What you will get is value for money.

There was a great opportunity last year for forum members when Capt Rajesh who is a member of this forum managed to do a great group buy of speaker kits from a US vendor.

Peerless India is okayish. if you can source products manufactured in Denmark by peerless, that'll be great.

Seas and scanspeak are excellent manufacturers. But there are others as well. check out ZaphAudio for tweeter/FR/Woofer comparisons.

I Have a pair of denmark made peerless 6.5" mid-bass drivers but couldn't find specs anywhere..
Can anyone point as to where the specs can be obtained from?

I Have a pair of denmark made peerless 6.5" mid-bass drivers but couldn't find specs anywhere..
Can anyone point as to where the specs can be obtained from?

It is impossible to even start looking without a model number.
could extrapolate with pictures, but thats a long shot. :D

Have you ever tried to make DIY speaker?

It was first time for me.

What I did was to buy garbage speaker and rebuild it.

Spending very less money, I started that project to have experience but the result was good enough.

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/52316-jpw-ml-910-speakers-restoration-project.html

I think your idea is very cleaver rebuild old excellent speaker.If we get any damaged speaker set bookshelf or tower we can rebuild with drivers most suitable that should be after lot of search with specification with matching crossover that will outperform the original.Yes this try is worth it

And I appreciate your effort wonderfully done well done

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back