A double date done right

AKT

Tannoy MG15 GRF.jpg

Tannoy MG15 GRF Open.jpg

Altec 515B288G.jpg

== Context ==
As I've grown older, my tastes—especially in dating have matured to match my age. So, when @santhosh offered to introduce me to two gorgeous ladies from the 1960s, I couldn’t resist.

A few months ago, I had the chance to audition Manav's 1967 Tannoy Monitor Gold 15s (MG15) in their original Lancaster cabinet. Listening to the extended version of "Nights In White Satin" from The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed LP was nothing short of a hair-raising experience. This encounter sparked my interest in the world of vintage speakers, especially those with Tannoy's legendary MG15 drivers.

A discussion with @arj led me to @anilva, who then connected me with @GeorgeO, and ultimately, Santhosh. Each of these individuals knows more than a thing or two about two-channel audio; they are all Tannoy owners and swear by them. Special mention goes to @ronniemarker, who boasts a venerable collection of Tannoy vintage speakers across nearly every cabinet type.

The Tannoy MG15s were originally available in four different cabinets: Lancaster, York, GRF, and Autograph, each increasing in size and gradually escalating the "you live or the speakers stay" debate with one's spouse. Fortunately, Santhosh had the GRF cabinet at his experience center, which old literature claims strikes the perfect balance between gravitas and practicality.

Santhosh, who is not easily impressed, upped the ante by offering a pair of vintage Altecs for audition as well — though he made it clear that none of these were for sale.

== Travel, Equipment and Santhosh ==
Last Sunday, I took on an outstation trip from Bellandur to Vijaynagar, covering a significant 23 kilometers in a satisfying 1 hour and 45 minutes duration; weekend traffic in Bangalore is usually light. My good friend Gifen joined me for the drive, and as we moved closer to our destination, the scenery transformed. The foliage grew greener, lakes appeared cleaner, and potholes got smaller. As one leaves the newer areas like Whitefield, Bellandur, and Sarjapur, it became clear how Bangalore truly lives up to its Garden City moniker.

Santhosh, a fellow audiophile and the owner of AutomateAV, runs a fantastic experience center in Vijaynagar, where he invited us to audition both the Tannoys and the Altecs. Being the perfectionist he is, Santhosh asked me to bring all my audio gear to replicate as close to an in-home experience as possible, a thoughtful gesture, indeed. Upon arrival, we unloaded an Accuphase E260, Lumin T1, Belden tinned copper cables for interconnects and speaker wire, a Supra ethernet cable, and a Ubiquiti switch into his double-doored listening room. Setting up took a little time but nothing noteworthy. The listening room itself is both aesthetically pleasing and acoustically refined, making it a joy to audition any equipment. Santhosh also had a pair of Scanspeak slim towers that defy the principles of physics, and yes, they were for sale! Depending on the size of the crowd, you might also be treated to coffee and snacks.

== The lovely ladies ==
The first lady we auditioned was an Altec — a 515B bass driver (LF) in a locally hand-built cabinet, paired with a 288G mid/high driver in a compression-loaded Azura horn, all connected through an external crossover. The luscious red horns exuded both sass and pizzazz. She was driven by @viren bakhshi's Lyrita Audio 2A3 integrated amp, with Santhosh's LP player (don't remember the model) and my Lumin streamer handling the source duties.

The Tannoy, on the other hand, was housed in a custom cabinet with Anil's crossover, both built to spec as per the original Tannoy GRFs. The speaker terminals on the left channel were loose, and my 12 AWG Belden speaker cables were slightly too thick for them, so I had to use a thinner patch cable temporarily. Santhosh offered to add the same patch cable to the right channel as well, but by then, I’d had enough of his shenanigans and proceeded to connect the Belden directly! The Tannoys were powered by my trusted 90W Accuphase amp.

== Listening Impressions ==
We began our audition with the Altecs and then moved on to the Tannoys. In hindsight, it might have been better to reverse the order. The Altecs, with their horn HF, demanded attention and delivered remarkable resolution. Despite their cutoff at 16 kHz, there was no noticeable roll-off. We often focus on a speaker’s bass response and sensitivity etc., but I’ve learned that a speaker’s lasting impression often comes from its mid and high frequencies. The Altecs excelled in this area, weaving a spell of emotional magic. All three of us just basked in musical bliss totally abandoning our being. The closing crescendo of "Nights In White Satin" was surreal and moving. On another track, Gifen even felt as if Youn Sun Nah had come out of the Altecs, so close that he could feel her breath loudly whispering "My favorite things". Yet another track, Silsila "Ye Kahan Aa Gaye Hum" OST, Amitabh Bachchan’s baritone sounded substantial, while Lata Mangeshkar’s voice was livid as if something ominous was just about to happen. Now that's horn projection for us!

The Altecs created an orchestrated chaos that probably elevated our heartbeats to medically concerning levels, but we did not have a thing to complain about, though if I were to nitpick, the LF cutoff at 40 Hz was slightly higher in the dampened room, but this is mere nitpicking.

Next, we turned to the Tannoys. With her big brown silhouette she had a presence to behold. She wears a long skirt barely showing her ankles, comes from a cold British town, preferring to wear warm earthy colors. Nothing that immediately draws your attention. She lacked the visual jazz of the Altecs and it appeared that a streaming frontend would be too modern for her. I couldn't be more wrong. The Tannoys exuded gravitas, offering just adequate dynamics and resolution. Where the Altecs lacked in slight bass presence, the Tannoys compensated tastefully. Jennifer Warnes’s performance, known for her transition from a chorus singer to a frontwoman, was a testament to this. The Tannoys’ concentric tweeter and 15" woofer provided pristine balance without muddying the midrange. The Tannoy music just settles under your skin and wards off any nightmares when you fall asleep at night. She didn’t demand attention or cause a dramatic reaction; instead, left us in awe of a marvelous human creation. She was fabulously modern yet so organic in her demeanor. Loved her.

The Tannoys are like a grandmother recounting stories of her youth to her grandkids. She carefully "replaces" any details that might be too harsh for tender minds while conveying the essence of the stories with heartfelt accuracy.

Both speakers are spectacular, making a direct comparison unfair. For instance, in Zakir Hussain's Pancham track from @essrand's audition playlist, the tabla sounded incredibly accurate and real on the Tannoys, while the Altecs allowed the finger caps hitting the ghatam to gently push other percussion instruments into the background. Each speaker excelled in its own right, grading one over the other would be impossible.

== Conclusion ==
A low-wattage Accuphase pairs exceptionally well with Tannoy MG15. Contrary to some beliefs, vintage speakers aren’t limited to vintage LPs (even Steve Guttenberg didn’t get this right!). Amitabh Bachchan’s baritone is as rich as Barry Richards', and Lata Mangeshkar’s vocal resolution surpasses Diana Krall’s. Also, as a host, you don’t need to be modest about your setup. You can enjoy it as much as or even more than your guests!

We left Bellandur at 2:30p and I returned home by 11:30p, taking the newly opened, much awaited, Silk Board double-decker flyover and having a late dinner at Zaatar. Last Sunday (Aug 04), we spent 5.5 hours with the two ladies while Santhosh, both patient and enthusiastic, facilitated the experience. It wasn’t much of a conversation; the ladies mostly spoke and sang, and we listened as true gentlemen. We learned so much about them that we fell in love. It was indeed a double date done right. Thank you again, Santhosh.

Last edited:
What a wonderful writeup..thoroughly enjoyed the read !

Excellent write up sir..thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experience... A humble request from my side though - speakers are non binary and it would be nice if you could use they/them pronouns
they might have said they identify as women .

Its nice to find a 2 channel audio enthusiast in Bellandur, because based on the current demographics, I would have thought that the Bellandur to Whitefield population would primarily be interested in digital audio and headphones 😄 while central and south Blr would have the 2 channel lovers.

Its nice to find a 2 channel audio enthusiast in Bellandur, because based on the current demographics, I would have thought that the Bellandur to Whitefield population would primarily be interested in digital audio and headphones 😄 while central and south Blr would have the 2 channel lovers.
😳 Any reason or evidence for such thoughts on the geographic distribution?

Its the age range and work profile of this area. Most people are in their 20s and work in technology, which naturally inclines them towards the latest digital audio trends like dacs, etc. Plus almost 50 % or maybe more residents here live on rent so they may not like to accumulate heave equipment as they are constantly changing homes and it difficult to move around bulky equipment.

View attachment 85977

View attachment 85978

View attachment 85979

== Context ==
As I've grown older, my tastes—especially in dating have matured to match my age. So, when @santhosh offered to introduce me to two gorgeous ladies from the 1960s, I couldn’t resist.

A few months ago,

I had the chance to audition Manav's 1967 Tannoy Monitor Gold 15s (MG15) in their original Lancaster cabinet. Listening to the extended version of "Nights In White Satin" from The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed LP was nothing short of a hair-raising experience. This encounter sparked my interest in the world of vintage speakers, especially those with Tannoy's legendary MG15 drivers.

A discussion with @arj led me to @anilva, who then connected me with @GeorgeO, and ultimately, Santhosh. Each of these individuals knows more than a thing or two about two-channel audio; they are all Tannoy owners and swear by them. Special mention goes to @ronniemarker, who boasts a venerable collection of Tannoy vintage speakers across nearly every cabinet type.

The Tannoy MG15s were originally available in four different cabinets: Lancaster, York, GRF, and Autograph, each increasing in size and gradually escalating the "you live or the speakers stay" debate with one's spouse. Fortunately, Santhosh had the GRF cabinet at his experience center, which old literature claims strikes the perfect balance between gravitas and practicality.

Santhosh, who is not easily impressed, upped the ante by offering a pair of vintage Altecs for audition as well — though he made it clear that none of these were for sale.

== Travel, Equipment and Santhosh ==
Last Sunday, I took on an outstation trip from Bellandur to Vijaynagar, covering a significant 23 kilometers in a satisfying 1 hour and 45 minutes duration; weekend traffic in Bangalore is usually light. My good friend Gifen joined me for the drive, and as we moved closer to our destination, the scenery transformed. The foliage grew greener, lakes appeared cleaner, and potholes got smaller. As one leaves the newer areas like Whitefield, Bellandur, and Sarjapur, it became clear how Bangalore truly lives up to its Garden City moniker.

Santhosh, a fellow audiophile and the owner of AutomateAV, runs a fantastic experience center in Vijaynagar, where he invited us to audition both the Tannoys and the Altecs. Being the perfectionist he is, Santhosh asked me to bring all my audio gear to replicate as close to an in-home experience as possible, a thoughtful gesture, indeed. Upon arrival, we unloaded an Accuphase E260, Lumin T1, Belden tinned copper cables for interconnects and speaker wire, a Supra ethernet cable, and a Ubiquiti switch into his double-doored listening room. Setting up took a little time but nothing noteworthy. The listening room itself is both aesthetically pleasing and acoustically refined, making it a joy to audition any equipment. Santhosh also had a pair of Scanspeak slim towers that defy the principles of physics, and yes, they were for sale! Depending on the size of the crowd, you might also be treated to coffee and snacks.

== The lovely ladies ==
The first lady we auditioned was an Altec — a 515B bass driver (LF) in a locally hand-built cabinet, paired with a 288G mid/high driver in a compression-loaded Azura horn, all connected through an external crossover. The luscious red horns exuded both sass and pizzazz. She was driven by @viren bakhshi's Lyrita Audio 2A3 integrated amp, with Santhosh's LP player (don't remember the model) and my Lumin streamer handling the source duties.

The Tannoy, on the other hand, was housed in a custom cabinet with Anil's crossover, both built to spec as per the original Tannoy GRFs. The speaker terminals on the left channel were loose, and my 12 AWG Belden speaker cables were slightly too thick for them, so I had to use a thinner patch cable temporarily. Santhosh offered to add the same patch cable to the right channel as well, but by then, I’d had enough of his shenanigans and proceeded to connect the Belden directly! The Tannoys were powered by my trusted 90W Accuphase amp.

== Listening Impressions ==
We began our audition with the Altecs and then moved on to the Tannoys. In hindsight, it might have been better to reverse the order. The Altecs, with their horn HF, demanded attention and delivered remarkable resolution. Despite their cutoff at 16 kHz, there was no noticeable roll-off. We often focus on a speaker’s bass response and sensitivity etc., but I’ve learned that a speaker’s lasting impression often comes from its mid and high frequencies. The Altecs excelled in this area, weaving a spell of emotional magic. All three of us just basked in musical bliss totally abandoning our being. The closing crescendo of "Nights In White Satin" was surreal and moving. On another track, Gifen even felt as if Youn Sun Nah had come out of the Altecs, so close that he could feel her breath loudly whispering "My favorite things". Yet another track, Silsila "Ye Kahan Aa Gaye Hum" OST, Amitabh Bachchan’s baritone sounded substantial, while Lata Mangeshkar’s voice was livid as if something ominous was just about to happen. Now that's horn projection for us!

The Altecs created an orchestrated chaos that probably elevated our heartbeats to medically concerning levels, but we did not have a thing to complain about, though if I were to nitpick, the LF cutoff at 40 Hz was slightly higher in the dampened room, but this is mere nitpicking.

The Tannoys are like a grandmother recounting stories of her youth to her grandkids. She carefully "replaces" any details that might be too harsh for tender minds while conveying the essence of the stories with heartfelt accuracy.

Both speakers are spectacular, making a direct comparison unfair. For instance, in Zakir Hussain's Pancham track from @essrand's audition playlist, the tabla sounded incredibly accurate and real on the Tannoys, while the Altecs allowed the finger caps hitting the ghatam to gently push other percussion instruments into the background. Each speaker excelled in its own right, grading one over the other would be impossible.

== Conclusion ==
A low-wattage Accuphase pairs exceptionally well with Tannoy MG15. Contrary to some beliefs, vintage speakers aren’t limited to vintage LPs (even Steve Guttenberg didn’t get this right!). Amitabh Bachchan’s baritone is as rich as Barry Richards', and Lata Mangeshkar’s vocal resolution surpasses Diana Krall’s. Also, as a host, you don’t need to be modest about your setup. You can enjoy it as much as or even more than your guests!

We left Bellandur at 2:30p and I returned home by 11:30p, taking the newly opened, much awaited, Silk Board double-decker flyover and having a late dinner at Zaatar. Last Sunday (Aug 04), we spent 5.5 hours with the two ladies while Santhosh, both patient and enthusiastic, facilitated the experience. It wasn’t much of a conversation; the ladies mostly spoke and sang, and we listened as true gentlemen. We learned so much about them that we fell in love. It was indeed a double date done right. Thank you agai

It is always a pleasure to read listening impressions in long-form. More so when it includes vintage gear; high efficiency speakers + tube amps and analogue source.

I believe the reason being majorly due to these areas having tonnes of PG & being mostly occupied by recent graduates. Evidence is quiet contrary though as I know quiet a few people along this stretch with top notch 2.0/1 systems.

I believe the reason being majorly due to these areas having tonnes of PG & being mostly occupied by recent graduates. Evidence is quiet contrary though as I know quiet a few people along this stretch with top notch 2.0/1 systems.
We need to find the geographic distribution of Old people with some disposable income invested in serious HiFi 😄

But I agree: young people at early stages of their careers rarely have this choice (unless they inherit big). I know this from personal experience but then I don’t know as much about everyone one else.

We have some serious - I mean serious analog guys (think top of the line analog setups) in Bellandur, Whitefield and Sarjapur.

Don't assume anything :-).

We need to find the geographic distribution of Old people with some disposable income invested in serious HiFi 😄

But I agree: young people at early stages of their careers rarely have this choice (unless they inherit big). I know this from personal experience but then I don’t know as much about everyone one else.
I don't think it's a question of money because young people earn very well. In my opinion the Bellandur to Whitefield region probably has some of the highest salaries in India due to all the global tech companies being present. It's the same in Gachibowli Hyderabad. However hifi is not something young people relate to a lot ( even though there is some contrarian evidence which indicates an increase in the sale of vinyl globally, I don't think it's the case in India) I personally think hifi and analog audio will slowly fade away once digital technology improves and delivers the same quality of sound at a fraction of the price

I don't think it's a question of money because young people earn very well. In my opinion the Bellandur to Whitefield region probably has some of the highest salaries in India due to all the global tech companies being present. It's the same in Gachibowli Hyderabad. However hifi is not something young people relate to a lot ( even though there is some contrarian evidence which indicates an increase in the sale of vinyl globally, I don't think it's the case in India) I personally think hifi and analog audio will slowly fade away once digital technology improves and delivers the same quality of sound at a fraction of the price
Maybe, but difficult to predict.
Tubes have been around for a century.
Vinyl use has shrunk but has a determined following large enough to sustain an industry producing TTs, Records, stylus cartridges and Phono equipment.
Same with CDs.
Cassette tapes and players are all but gone except in the second hand market. I did see an ad for a small cassette player recently.
SACDs are not easy to find as in the past.
It’s a wide and varied world of choices available with options to suit a range of budgets and interests.

"The Tannoys are like a grandmother recounting stories of her youth to her grandkids. She carefully "replaces" any details that might be too harsh for tender minds while conveying the essence of the stories with heartfelt accuracy."

loved going though each analogy :) dream set-up indeed. great to see them quads and lyrita up there. did those get any play?

If you go to any headphone show the largest number of people are the young ones. people have several rigs costing 2L + equipment
The challenge many have is space since they are in rented spaces perhaps shared hence a full rig does not work

The headphone industry in india, If I remember reading in a report, is almost 20% CAGR in volume which is pretty big, and even here everyone upgrades.

Hence most start with headphones and as they settle down and have space move to hifi.

A socio-economic conversation! Who would have thought of that!

I missed mentioning that some time ago I had an extended audition of a pair of La Scalas at Cinebels, a little colored and a little too polite, I must admit. They however still conveyed many of those emotions from the Altecs in good measure.

"The Tannoys are like a grandmother recounting stories of her youth to her grandkids. She carefully "replaces" any details that might be too harsh for tender minds while conveying the essence of the stories with heartfelt accuracy."

loved going though each analogy :) dream set-up indeed. great to see them quads and lyrita up there. did those get any play?
Thank you much.
The Lyrita drove the altecs, the Accuphase powered only the Tannoys. The quads were never connected.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back