Altec

View attachment 85146
This is where I have got so far. Just temporarily fixed up everything to hear what they sound like. Not disappointed one bit. Need to doll up the plywood with teak veneer and then figure other areas like port tubing and cabinet dampening and more importantly crossovers. Shoddy diy job but veneering ahould cover small inconsistencies :) thanks for all the help and valuable inputs. Can't thank you guys enough.
Wow...now those are SOME speakers 😍

They are coming along very very nicely shushant. The finished cabs with teak veneer and some oiling should look gorgeous. Atleast to us mad bunch here 🤣

I can imagine and sweat and blood going into this. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Well done :D👍

Wow...now those are SOME speakers 😍

They are coming along very very nicely shushant. The finished cabs with teak veneer and some oiling should look gorgeous. Atleast to us mad bunch here 🤣

I can imagine and sweat and blood going into this. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Well done :D👍
Thanks Manohar.
Definitely a work in progress and definitely a bit mad. Good thing is how great these altecs are. I saw so many great designs like the klangfilm euronor junior and Devon turnbull affixing the multicell horns in between the 2 altec bass drivers. And also like an experienced memeber said here, these are all project based. So figured let me give it a go and not wait for inch perfect cabinet designs. Happy I did. Ofcourse not to be over simplistic and I am aware of various constraints like room size and crossover design when chosing cabinet sizes etc.

All the help in the preceding posts helped tremendously and i went ahead.
There's so much more I can do for sure. Will settle in and then see what needs tweaking or fixing.

Last edited:
do check him out...has soem cool offerings....article here displays something close to what you have

do check him out...has soem cool offerings....article here displays something close to what you have

Thanks @jenson i might have seen that article. TAD also places the bass drivers horizontally instead of vertical in some designs. They are uniformly closer to the floor but I don't know if there is some great advantage to this. I just went ahead with it.

IMG-20240714-WA0005.jpg20240711_091721-min.jpgIMG-20240714-WA0004.jpgIMG-20240714-WA0007.jpgSo finally on sage advice from Rajiv who has helped me tremendously on this project, I ended up crossing the 416c at 300hz and 416a at 650 hz. There is a big change this brought about in the sound and it was very easy to hear. The bass has become more and I can hear more into the drums. The upper frequencies have also cleared up.
I am very happy and think I am going to leave it like this for now and enjoy. Have ordered some grill cloth so I can cover the woofers to protect them from accidents.

Thanks Rajiv for all your help and your knowledge is tremendous. You are the boss with all things Altec.

So finally on sage advice from Rajiv who has helped me tremendously on this project, I ended up crossing the 416c at 300hz and 416a at 650 hz. There is a big change this brought about in the sound and it was very easy to hear. The bass has become more and I can hear more into the drums. The upper frequencies have also cleared up.
I am very happy and think I am going to leave it like this for now and enjoy. Have ordered some grill cloth so I can cover the woofers to protect them from accidents.

That looks fantastic Sushant! I am sure the sound must be sublime!
Your room is fast becoming one that I would love to visit some day and experience first hand.

That looks fantastic Sushant! I am sure the sound must be sublime!
Your room is fast becoming one that I would love to visit some day and experience first hand.

Thanks Nikhil. It will be great whenever you make your way up here. You are welcome anytime. Always nice to have another perspective.

Thanks @jenson i might have seen that article. TAD also places the bass drivers horizontally instead of vertical in some designs. They are uniformly closer to the floor but I don't know if there is some great advantage to this. I just went ahead with it.
His work seems to have speakers recessed slightly behind the baffle...

@Sushant Sharma - was curious to know how good is bass quality? Is this enclosure a bass reflex type or Aperiodic type? The slot on the front would increase the Q of the speaker and could cause booming imo. I usually prefer low Q bass.

@Sushant Sharma - was curious to know how good is bass quality? Is this enclosure a bass reflex type or Aperiodic type? The slot on the front would increase the Q of the speaker and could cause booming imo. I usually prefer low Q bass.
Hi Hari. Not too aware of technical details. The bass enclosure is just a plain box with multiple bracing on all sides to give it some rigidity. I have made pillows out of polyfill and stuck them to three sides. I made the slots looking at all a7 models. Was advised by somebody to make the slots a foot deep internally but at the moment they are just plain openings.
Post adding the twin woofers, I feel the bass quantity has increased. On better recordings, there's absolutely no boominess etc. Maybe this is giving too much heft to other frequencies too, I can't say yet. Too early. But nothing is overpowering and still pleasing to the ears.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back