A Good "Will play all" kind of media player for my 4K TV +5.1 HT

Naveen_Reloaded

My brother is planning to come from US shortly.

I was using PS3 as my media driver , but lack of proper support for wide range of video formats and difficulty with certain audio codecs, i want to have a dedicated media player for all my HD/UHD movies.

So which media player would you guys suggest. I was eyeing on Himedia Q5 , which can play 3D video and 4K videos too.

Will it be good or should i go for something else ?

roku 4 or Q10 ? anyone can help in deciding

Roku is streaming media player, Roku is not good for network or local playback, it will play few common formats but not all, plus, Roku does not natively play media, but depends on an app that you will load/install and then play, making it a bit limited. However as a streaming media player its just awsome, and no one comes close to it. As a network/local media player I would strongly suggest Q5/Q10 Pro

Roku is streaming media player, Roku is not good for network or local playback, it will play few common formats but not all, plus, Roku does not natively play media, but depends on an app that you will load/install and then play, making it a bit limited. However as a streaming media player its just awsome, and no one comes close to it. As a network/local media player I would strongly suggest Q5/Q10 Pro

Would you know if Q10 Pro is compatible with NFS server? Would it play from BDMV folder with proper BD Menu?

I dont want a streaming device. I want a dedicated media player which decodes everything , read and sends to tv/ht.. I think in that matter himedia is the choice i guess.

How does BD players compare to these small media players ?

Would you know if Q10 Pro is compatible with NFS server? Would it play from BDMV folder with proper BD Menu?

Yes to first and yes to second question as well, but its BD Lite menu. No player including Himedia Q10 Pro supports Full BD Menu.(except may be earlier models of DUNE and I think PCH also supported full BD Menus) All will have BD Lite menu which is more than sufficient, if you ask me.

Ya for streaming it is awesome, but at the same time it has also increased its offline capability. That said even q10 is very tempting and sounds like a great buy too. Though it seems it natively only supports 420p for Netflix.

Yes to first and yes to second question as well, but its BD Lite menu. No player including Himedia Q10 Pro supports Full BD Menu.(except may be earlier models of DUNE and I think PCH also supported full BD Menus) All will have BD Lite menu which is more than sufficient, if you ask me.

Sounds good. How about BD ISO?

Ya for streaming it is awesome, but at the same time it has also increased its offline capability. That said even q10 is very tempting and sounds like a great buy too. Though it seems it natively only supports 420p for Netflix.

Only Roku and Shield supports Netflix 1080p native resolution, AFAIK.

After my venerable PCH started misbehaving, I bought this one: Cubetek media player. The price is attractive, and there's H.265 support and 3D support. There is a related model which supports 4K too. (My old PCH had no H.265, no 3D and no 4K.)

I believe this device can read Windows shares and NFS volumes, but I haven't tried those features yet. I have been able to install apps from the app store. It takes a USB mouse and keyboard in case you want to interact more actively, and it reads my USB 2TB NTFS formatted media drives happily. Haven't tried larger than 2TB. I have some very high quality BD rips where one movie is 25GB, thus giving quite high bit rate. The device plays all those back very well.

Usually, these low-priced devices have relatively poor analog circuitry. But that doesn't worry me, because the video stream which I am using is HDMI, which is processed by the TV, and the audio stream is Toslink, which is processed by my audio processor. Therefore I'm not dependent on the device's analog quality. It plays gapless MP3, which is attractive for me.

Last edited:
Q5 is really good, if budget permits, opt for Q10 Pro. Its the best "play all" media player ATM

Hi Sam, Q10 does not have 2 HDMI ports as same required since I do not have 4K supported AVR. Would you know any equally good media player with 2 HDMI support?

I dont understand, why would you need 2 HDMI and what connection you intending here with your AVR not supporting 4K. Pardon me for not getting this, if you can be a bit more explicit ...,,, also I seriously doubt any media player has 2 HDMIs, not that I know...will google as you might as well and report .....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back